• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

ConvaTec Mouldable

For those of you using ConvaTec Mouldable, how are you finding it compared to the normal cut to size wafers/base plates?
I decided to give the Mouldable a try after only finding out about them in a topic here a couple weeks ago. I have always used Hollister Conform 2 FlexWear wafers/base plates that I changed every 5 days (could make it go 7 days if really needed to) I always found them really good as far as adhesion and comfort of wearing was concerned, it was just trying to cut it to my exact size and shape that was awkward as my Stoma has a bit of an indentation (I spose I could describe it as a bit like the top of a heart shape) that you just can't cut the hole to fit well and it does get very red and sore at times around the base of the Stoma because of this. So about a week ago I was due a change and decided to try the ConvaTec Mouldable as a few samples came through the post a couple days earlier. Now the first thing I noticed was the outer material that covers the main thick wafer/base plate was about a cm bigger all round and because of this it partially covers my belly button and unfortunately the line of hairs going up to my belly button so it smarted a bit when I changed it again a coulpe days ago :lol:
Now I went with the 'Natura' clip on style base and bag as I just don't trust the stick on type and when fitting the wafer/base plate I immediately noticed how plastic like and stiff the base of the clip ring was (compared to the Hollister one which was more rubber like and flexible), because of this the outer few mm of the main thick wafer wouldn't stick down as it just couldn't flex with the shape of my belly (maybe this is why the outer cover material extends out further than others)
The cover material also doesn't have very good adhesion, it started peeling up within a day and leaving horrible dirty marks where it was (I never had this problem with the Hollister Conform 2)
Actually fitting the ConvaTec Mouldable was a breeze! Roll back the mouldable base, place it over the stoma and it just rolls back out and hugs the stoma so theres no gap at all. The clip system that holds the bag on is also very secure because of this it's very stiff to get on and you really do have to put some pressure into clipping it on which I'm wondering if is what cause the next problem I'm going into now....
After 4 days (which is what ConvaTec told me they recommended using it for but also said I could 'make it' last longer) I decided to change it and as I said earlier the extra material was stuck to my hairs and it smarted a bit peeling that off. once off it was easy to see that the main thick wafer had really started to break down/soften But still hadn't let any waste get to my skin which was great as this had let the redness on the skin around the base of my stoma heal and was now a nice fleshy pink :thumleft:
However also around the base of my stoma seemed to be coagulated blood so it was apparent that where the skin meets the stoma had been bleeding as some point! I never had this with the Hollister Conform 2. I think it could have been 1 of 2 things, the Mouldable base is still quite stiff and quickly wants to mould back to it's original much smaller hole and the pressure of this almost sort of pushing the stoma back from the skin over 4 days could have made it bleed there or as I said earlier, to get the bag to clip on you have to really apply some pressure to it, this could have maybe pushed the skin away from the stoma and made it bleed?
So to sum it up, I'm impressed with how it keeps waste away from your skin but not so impressed with just about everything else about it :(

I was wondering what others experiences were with the Convatec Mouldable compared to the normal cut to fit type?

Excuse the long post, once I get into typing I tend to waffle on! :lol:

Ok, I changed it again this morning and there was again some coagulated blood around the base of the stoma, although not as much as the first time. I decided to give the one last remaining sample that they sent me a shot, but if when I remove this one in 4 days time the same thing appears.... I guess I will just have to go back to the Hollister.

I would still like to hear other peoples experiences with the ConvaTec Mouldable though.

Nyx

I've never tried convatec, so can't help you out there....I use Coloplast SenSura and haven't had any problems with it since I started using it almost 2 years ago. I know, not helpful but I didn't want you think that we're not reading your post...lol

Terriernut

I emailed Heike (lostnut) and asked her to help as she uses this product. She's at work now though.

I didnt have a bit of luck with it, cause it didnt stick to my skin. I too use the sensura range. (but I cant get my hernia belt around it!)

Heike will have some advice no doubt.

I am using the Convatec Mouldable after giving up on Hollister and generally very happy with it. I also began using the Eakin ring - and it makes it last much longer. With the ring I dont see any breakdown of barrier even on day 4. Without it, on day 3 it was already breaking down.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Hey Rob,

yes, I use the ConvaTec moldable 22 mm with great success. I am on a regular changing schedule and don't recall having any problems as you described.

My stoma is very short and tends to retract a lot, as well as being slanted toward the downside. I use half an Eakin Seal around this part and plop on the wafer. Due to the size of my stoma I don't even have to roll it back which might be part of your problem. Do you have the right size?

Before the ConvaTec moldable I had terrible problems with leaking and the product literally gave me my life back.

I tried the Hollister but didn't like the way the wafer/flange started to look after one day and it didn't hold in the shower and started peeling.

Not sure about your happy trail but my scar is running from the belly button down all the way and I have a slight corner (putting the wafer on in the diamond shape) that runs into the scar. I put the wafer on standing up without pressing it on, then lay down, stretch the skin (I am old and flabby) and press it down, making sure I get all the creases and wrinkles .... :)

I don't remember much about the Hollister brand in general only that it didn't last very well through showering.

Hope that helps a bit and if you have any specific questions let me know.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Yea it's the right size, they asked me over the phone what size my stoma was.
Are the Eakin Rings Mouldable?
I'm thinking I may need to just use them with the Hollister.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Hollister has seals too, don't remember what they are called right now, and you might want to call them because, personally, I think (from experience) they work better with their product.

Yea I did have a look on the Hollister Website but all I could find were square pads that you had to cut to size and shape.

LOSTnut

Poopy
I think you are talking about the skin barriers. Ask for the ADAPT rings, they should be the equivalent to the Eakin Seals.
The skin barriers are good when your skin is raw and broken, although ConvaTec has "fake skin" which is much thinner. They fake skin is not under the ostomy supplies but I think wound care and I couldn't get samples of those, while the skin barrier sheets from Hollister are for ostomies and will be sampled.

Terriernut

Rob, just ring them direct. They are very helpful, all of them are actually, convatec, hollister, etc. In fact, I would ring the manufacturer of whatever appliance you are using and ask them directly for assistance and advice. They are ostomates themselves, all of them on the help lines are usually.