• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hmmm...

Crohn's? Not sure what this is yet.

Hello Crohn's Friends! I'm so happy to have found this forum with so many people whom I can relate to. I have not been formerly diagnosed with Crohn's, but I have been in the process of testing for the past few months.
I have always had stomach issues...a variety of them. I have several different stomach pains that I can describe depending on the day/week/time of day, etc. Sometimes it's in my lower abdomen, sometimes it's a sharp pain in my right side, right now it's the feeling of my intestines twisting inside me; it all just depends. I go to the bathroom (I hate to actually say it) an average of 6-8 times per day. I've already gone three times, and it's only 10 am. The only thing I've eaten this morning is a cereal bar and a glass of apple juice. It's especially bad when I eat out a lot or have a lot of processed foods. I don't get how my husband can eat just about anything, and the only thing that makes me feel good is a good, healthy, home-cooked meal. My body has been like this since I can remember. My mom said I had a lot of issues even with formula as a baby. It got especially bad when I was in college. My friends all thought I was weird because I never wanted to eat on campus, but they didn't understand that I literally could not eat that food. I kid you not, even the salad bad which was just about the only thing I would lean toward, still had me in the bathroom not 15 minutes after I had eaten. Not fun. I've been graduated from college for over a year now, and it's a little better now that I'm living in a more stable environment and having the opportunity to eat more home-cooked meals, but it's still not good. I have my days. Some days I'm up and some days I'm down. I am a very positive person, but inside it is eating me away (really and truly). I eat I go to the bathroom I eat I fear for how I will feel. Depending on where I'm at I have to limit what I eat, and if you know me well, you know that I LOVE to eat. I am a tiny girl, and I eat more than many, but I have to the way I flush it out so quickly. I am sometimes so hungry that my stomach is growling almost to the point of nausea, yet I have the sensation of having to use the bathroom at the same time. If I don't eat about every two hours I actually get to feeling so sick as though I'm going to pass out. The worst is when I am in public or in large crowds and am about to have 'an emergency' as I like to call it. We've had to pull over at gas station and some of the worst places because it's been so bad. I went back to my college homecoming with my husband two weeks ago and had to go in some of the worst places including the restaurant we had dinner at mid-meal and one of the bars we were at. That's the last place I want to be in that instance.
I has blood work done testing me for celiac disease which is what even my family thought I had, but I don't have it. It makes sense that I would because I can definitely tell with some of the things I eat such as pasta, rice, cheese stuffed pastas, etc., I have the same issues, but according to my doctor that's not it. She put me on Flagil for two weeks in the assumption that it may be bacteria. My only though is, bacteria for the past 10+ years of my life? Really? I couldn't handle this medicine. It was not helping my bathroom issues in the least bit, and it was making me extremely tired, dizzy and even nauseous at times. I couldn't even handle it for the full two weeks. I was told if the medicine didn't stop the diarrhea I would need to schedule a colonoscopy. The spurts that I have are so on and off, but it's still a majority of the week that I am having these issues which I just don't think is normal. Some may say it's just IBS, but I really think it's more than that. I've been much more tired than normal in the past couple of years too (and I'm a very active, energetic girl), and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. My colonoscopy is on Monday, and I am truly terrified. I don't do doctors or any of this stuff well which is probably why it's taken me so long to really crack down on getting this thing figured out, but it's really truly starting to take a toll on my life. I almost cancelled a float trip this summer because I was too scared of what was going to happen (and it wasn't particularly good). I'm newly married, and it's even rough on our intimacy because so often I just don't feel good. I have a few close friends that have very similar issues, one of which has Crohn's, and she's the one whom talked me into finally getting the colonoscopy done. She said that she had to have it done twice though before she was even diagnosed. I'm afraid I'm going to have the same thing. I have a feeling they are going to tell me I'm completely normal, but I'm not normal. I just want to know what the deal is. I do the prep on Sunday (I'm dreading it!) and have the colonoscopy on Monday morning. I hope I can at least get some kind of an answer so that I can move on and quit researching what it 'could' be. Any insight or support would be greatly appreciated. And prayers for the test...I've never had any type of sedation before, and I am so scared! Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey there welcome! :bigwave: I too had similar problems when I was young and my mother never took me to see a doctor. It wasnt til I got in my 30's and after the birth of my daughter I start to get uncontrolable diahreah around 4-5pm usually whatever I ate. I was always a porridge or Cream of wheat eater. Rarely ate crap, so being that this disease runs so heavily in our family (mother of course is exempted, she passed from her mother and my uncles all had a form of it.

I know you are scared, but if you have a Good Gi and caring the colonoscopy should be a breeze, the worst is the prep. BTW what country are you in? People can help you in your area.

You seem to have most of the classic signs and don't be surprised if you get a negative scope.. many people take longer than others ,I for one ..took a year and being in agony and the ER many times and a 4 year old.

Don't stress out , that makes it worse. We are here for you, don't be shy and ask away!

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I am in the US so it seems like there are a lot of people here who are in the same place as myself. I'm in my early twenties and newly married so the most important thing now is to try to have this figured out before we even think about starting to have children.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes, I fully understand. Alot of people dont want to risk having an unhealthy baby or you not being healthy yourself. Best thing to do is get yourself sorted out. Hope your husband is supportive because you are going to need it, and you now have us too, we can be your newly found family!

Ugh forgot to add, you should supplement with Ensure or Isopure, keep your nutrition up. :smile:

Thank you! My husband is definitely very supportive. He gets it. I think it's more frustrating for me than anything. I just hope to figure something out soon! :)

Hello and welcome PRgal..:)
Glad you found us here.
This is a great community and you will find lots of excellent information here
I second what pen says about the colonoscopy...the prep is the worse. Had my first recently and drinking that stuff was horrible. the scope itself was comfortable enough.
Take care..

Welcome! Sorry you're having so much trouble. Hopefully, you'll have some answers on Monday. Good luck Sunday! The prep truly is the worst part.

Thank you, Stephanie! I've heard that the prep is the worst part. I'm literally dreading it. Any good tips or advice feel free to send it my way. At least I've got a good book to read lol

Welcome PR gal :) Hopefully you'll get lucky like me and get your diagnoses quick. I've had two colonoscopies,a year apart. The drinks aren't fabulous, kinda like a funky sunny d. I found it ironic that they want us cleaned out and we all know there is nothing left in there. I mean really,a bag of potato chips and I'm good to go!
Get some 'tucks/tux' or some wet wipes to go with your book ;)
Annette

I finally had my colonoscopy today. Thank God I have gotten that over with! You all were right, the prep last night was definitely the worst party. I was in the bathroom nonstop from about 5 pm until 7:30 am right before we left. Not fun. Bleh!! I didn't sleep much last night either. Today was definitely much smoother than I had expected though. I was so anxious with this being my first surgery of any kind and the drs. and nurses definitely knew that as I made this very clear lol, but once I had the sedative going through my IV I was out like a light and the next thing I knew I was up with my husband sitting next to me and I was giggling. At least I woke up in a good mood if anything!? My dr. had told me beforehand that she had already assumed I would have a fairly normal test based on all of my previous blood results and everything we had discussed, but that she wanted to do biopsies no matter what. I should find out more within the next week. I'm on prescription medicine as of now until further notice to take with meals to assist with diarrhea. We shall see. I'm just thankful that part is over with! Phew : )