• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipation and Trapped Wind

Hi guys

Have any of you experienced severe constipation and painful trapped wind whilst taking azathioprine or prednisolone?

I recently went 18 days without any bowel movement, and am now on my 5th day since last opening my bowel.

The pains are sooooo sharp and keep me up most of the night. My belly is swollen and I am very uncomfortable.

I have bought some Deflatine to see if that eases it and will try some peppermint capsules too. Have you any advice?

Thanks
Becs

Hi,
I am experiencing exactly this right now. Started both the Pred and Aza 2 weeks ago today, and this week has been pretty brutal. On the one hand at least the excessive D has stopped, but on the other I don't know that the constipation and bloating and gas is any better! I notice it gets worse as the day goes on. Hot bath at night and a cup or 2 of hot tea at bedtime sometimes helps to get things moving. I can't offer much for advice though as I pretty much suffer through it for the first few weeks until the pred dose comes down a bit.. I notice once I hit about 20mg things start to loosen up slightly and I am more comfortable. Oh the joys of medications :( I hope you start to feel better soon.

suschex

Suzanne
Miralax...2 or 3 capfulls a day and you will get things going in a few days. It's an osmotic so no pain, cramping, etc. My GI has me on this b/c I have the big C and not the D. You can also drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate...like a colonoscopy prep and get things going that way much more quickly. I will say that even having used bothe of these things and had them work, it doesn't cure the C it just relieves it for the time being. Non-med options can include heating pad, gentle stretching of your torso, abdominal massage, walking or rocking in a rocking chair, lying on your back and pulling your knees up to your chest to help the gas out....I hope something above will help or give you other ideas to help....C is just no fun at all!!!

I suffer from constipation too and my record is over 3 weeks without going!!! In the end I was in hospital and they had to give me bowel prep for 3 days to get me to go!!

Now don't laugh but what works for me is drinking a large coffee followed by a trip around Tesco's!!! I don't know if it is psychological or what, but everytime I'm really constipated I go to the supermarket and I'm gauranteed to have to use the toilet! In fact, I haven't been for over a week now so today I went to Costa coffee, picked up a large cappuchino, drank it as I walked around tesco, and sure enough, by the pasta aisle I had to go! Obviously I don't for one minute think this is your answer to constipation, but it makes my friends and family laugh when I say "Just going to Tescos for a poop!" You have to laugh sometimes otherwise the Crohns will make us cry!

In all seriousness, I do know exactly how you feel and until recently I didn't even know that Constipation was a symptom of Crohn's as I've always previously suffered from D, and I honestly don't know which is worse. I think the C can be more painful. I think suschex has some good ideas but if it continues, see your Doc.

Good Luck!!

By the way, if you have constipation for a few days/weeks, once you go do you have Diarrhoea for a few days? That tends to happen to me, so now I've 'broken the seal' I've been on the toilet all afternoon. Just wondering if this happens to others too?

suschex

Suzanne
By the way, if you have constipation for a few days/weeks, once you go do you have Diarrhoea for a few days? That tends to happen to me, so now I've 'broken the seal' I've been on the toilet all afternoon. Just wondering if this happens to others too?
That happens to me also...once it gets going then it is D. I have started using enough Miralax (3 scoops daily in my coffee in the morning) so it keeps my poop very, very soft...basically D all the time just to avoid any level of C. If my colon won't work the I will just rely on Miralax and gravity! If I don't go after 2 days I am going at it with all I can...one trip to the ER for sever C is the only one I ever want to have...crazy x-rays from that trip though...the doc just couldn't believe it!

The day I eventually do go to the toilet, its not so much D but I have to frequent it ALOT during that day and work from home, to save the embarrassment in the office!

Unfortunately Jennifer I can't drink coffee, but your tesco Poop visits have put a smile on my face!!

I currently take Movicol which ensures my stools are soft, and can be pushed through my inflammed intestines. It doesn't make me regular but makes the whole process of opening my bowels painfree.

I should of took myself to A&E when I was 18 days gone but for some reason I always hold back.

Thanks for your replies guys

I just started taking azathioprine a few days ago. I am taking it in addition to budesonide. My doctor plans to wean me off the budesonide once azathioprine is at a therapuetic dose. I was constipated on the budesonide and would drink 1 or 2 two diet sodas first thing in the morning and would have a BM every morning. Since starting on azathioprine, my BM's have stopped.

Diagnosed with Crohn's disease April 2013
Current Meds: azathrioprine, budesonide
Past Meds: Pentasa