Share Facebook

11-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
lari

stoma hernia

I am new to this forum. I have read many of the posts and learned a great deal. My problem is I have a hernia under my stoma. This is the second time this ha happened to me. I have had my colostomy for 8yrs. I had surgery a few years ago to remove a huge hernia under my colostomy. The doc re-routed my stoma to the other side. Now again I am getting a hernia under the stoma and it keeps getting bigger. Do others with colostomies have this problem?
11-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I think you will find that yes, we do! Or I certainly did.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=21297

I just had surgery 7th of September for Ollie..the parastomal hernia. Yes, he was so big he had his own name.
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
11-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
lari

Thanks for your story. I didn't have a name for mine but I carried that football around in my lap fir a year. I think you can understand why I am so paranoid now as I watch a new hernia growing in the same spot. And another hernia on the other side of my belly. I am too high risk to have any more surgeries.... so I just try different things... like wearing a belt. Any other ideas?
11-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I do have an idea. Laproscopic mesh surgery. You say you are too high risk now?

The best thing I can suggest is looking for hernia support garments. If you google, you'll find ALOT there. A ring to the stoma nurses for suggestions in suppliers might be a good idea. Alot of times these things are covered on insurance.

I dont know what country you are in, otherwise I could suggest suppliers to you?
11-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
lari

I am in USA. I will have to look into the garments. I have a belt but it is too uncomfortable.
11-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Guest9283

A weight belt might help. Doctors have all told me to wear a belt whenever i lift heavy to help avoid a hernia.

Last edited by Guest9283; 11-16-2011 at 04:36 PM.