Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What's the deal with chewing gum?

03-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

What's the deal with chewing gum?

Every time I have to fill out a new information form at the GI or colorectal surgeon, I wonder why one of the questions is "How often do you chew gum?"
Does anyone know why?
That old 7 years swallowed gum stays in the stomach thing isn't true - hmmmm, what could it be? Why would they want to know that?
03-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
BWS1982

never been asked that one on the forms I fill out, but my guess is it isn't related to the myth you speak of, it could be related to the process your mouth/body goes through from chewing the gum, ie: extra saliva produced, etc...I think they're just trying to gauge some of your oral habbits, like any tobacco use, etc.... I really couldn't say other than that.

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
03-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
butt-eze
Superstar

Osmotic diarrhea means that something in the bowel is drawing water from the body into the bowel. A common example of this is "dietetic candy" or "chewing gum" diarrhea, in which a sugar substitute, such as sorbitol, is not absorbed by the body but draws water from the body into the bowel, resulting in diarrhea.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...eases-diarrhea
03-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
D Bergy

A lot of chewing gum now has aspertame in it, but I do not know if that is why the question is being asked.

Dan
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Shoeless

It's the sorbitol in gum mainly sugar free gum that made my sister have the same effects as crohns but once she stopped chewing she was ok
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
D Bergy

That could be some potentially important information for someone. Thanks for mentioning it.

I have never heard about that connection before.

D Bergy
03-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
BWS1982

Shoeless said:
It's the sorbitol in gum mainly sugar free gum that made my sister have the same effects as crohns but once she stopped chewing she was ok
I hope you mean that she got diarrhea, to have the "same effects as Crohns" from chewing gum is a bold statement. The effects of Crohns being bleeding bowels, cramps, severe diarrhea, nausea, joint pain, muscle soreness, kidney issues, fatigue, weight loss, etc........I assume you don't mean that, but just diarrhea?
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
D Bergy

Some more info on Sorbitol.

http://www.foodintol.com/food_intolerance/hot_ibs.htm

Dan
03-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
BubbleBoi

Dont mean to hijack but...

For the last year or so I have been chewing a piece of gum for a few hours everyday and with out much food. It hasn't done much in terms of affecting my chron's but since you guys are saying it can draw in moisture or something, is it possible for it to cause dry skin? I know it may be a stretch but I am absolutly desperate to find out the reason my body is so dry.
03-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Sorbitol induced diarreah - wow!! Never heard of it!
I'm all about the full sugar gum. Makes a better bubble.
Great info everyone - thanks!
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
BWS1982

I don't know....the sugar alcohols in sugar free candy maybe could be a bad culprit, but there's so little in a single piece of gum, I have a hard time thinking one a day or less is going to show a difference.....Now Olestra that's a different story (I'm waiting for people to start recalling Robin Williams anal leakage comedy bit....)
03-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
Kev

My Support Groups:
Could be a number of things... Like, chewing gum triggers saliva production, that in turn increases gastric juices... acids. Excess saliva and/or stomach acids could change the GI's ph balance... Also, chewing gum typically adds to the amount of air one swallows... that increases (possibly) the amount of gas in one's system. I would also suspect that the sugars or artificial sweeteners in gum could increase the potential for GI or IBD related issues. All supposition on my part. Easiest way to find out is to ask the question TILL somebody answers with a legitimate response.

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
03-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Digits

yeah, like kev, ive always heard that the gum chewing introduces a lot of excess air into the GI tract and whatnot. thats my 2 cents, lol

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What's the deal with chewing gum?