• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

47 and been fighting this stuff since 19

I am new to the group and am looking for any encouragement and ideas to live a little more comfortably with this CD. I go months with no symptoms and wamo, it hits again, this time with a vengance and no letting up. Been back on Prednisone for two weeks and not helping this time. Usually after 4 or 5 days it clears up. Taking 40mg everymorning and 3 Asacol three times daily. Help me with any new ideas.

Jessi

Hi Evans and welcome! You will definitely find what you're looking for here - both encouragement and ideas. That's what this place is all about. I'm so glad you joined us. :hug: You've lived with this crappy disease for a long time! You'll probably have a lot of answers for others, too!

I'm sorry that you've started flaring again. Have you been on any biologics? I am currently on Remicade and am now in remission. Where is your Crohn's? What kind do you have (fistulas, ulcers, strictures?)

Again, glad you joined us. Make yourself at home. :)

Thanks Jes. This is a weird disease. For the most years I have been okay, but this attack is by far the worst. I am on 40mg Prednisone and take Asacol 3, 3 times daily. Usually 4 or 5 days on Pred I clear up, but it's been two weeks and no let up in sight. I fear what may come next but I have know the outlook for many years.

That's quite a time to be dealing with this crappy disease.

As to where you go from here. Asacol is a pretty mild drug, have you been on it long? Next up is Azathioprine (Imuran), 6MP, Methotrexate, and then one of the biologics. Some GI's like to go heavy guns first, some like to progress through the milder and less fraught drugs especially if your disease is considered to be mild.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the forum :)

In addition to what was said above, you may want to look into various dietary changes which our diet/fitness/supplement forum can help with or maybe elemental nutrition.

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it right now and I wish you all the best!

Thanks guys, I have been increased to 60 mg prednisone and headed back to GI on Tuesday. I am ready for some relief. Bathroom visits 10 to 15 times per day, no energy, my color is awful and my family is very concerned. I own my own business and the daily stress from it is more than needed I'm sure, but I am trying hard to rest as much as I can. Hopefully GI will try something new.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Evan and welcome! I am sorry the pred isn't working too good this time around. I hope 60mg will do it. If not, Beth has listed some stronger medication that may give this flare the boot. I suggest checking out the Treatment forum to do a little research.

Crossing my fingers you start to feel better soon!

Oh well, I am now on my 4th night in the hospital for the first time. Been on IV steroids now back on the pills. Not having the result I wished for. Now sending me home on more prednisone and changing meds from Asacol to maybe 6- mercaptopupine or possible remicade..... Wow, to see all the side effects puts quite a concern in front of me. Man, this is one inconvenient sickness.

David

Co-Founder
Bummer :( That sucks. I can understand your concern about the potential side effects, you may want to check out our Remicade and Imuran (6-MP threads go in there too) forums to hopefully put your mind at ease a bit.

*hugs*