Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Mental Health Support » I think I may be turning the corner....thank you for all the support!

11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
I think I may be turning the corner....thank you for all the support!

Well, 5 weeks ago today I found out I had Crohn's and started on 40mg Prednisone. I was so excited to have a dx and meds! The first 3 weeks...I felt such relief and hope! Then when I had very little to no improvement even after a month on the meds I felt so lost and reached out here for support and am so thankful I had this place to turn. Thank you so much for all the support and information!!!!

The exciting news is that I think I have turned a corner! I feel a bit better today and was even able to eat solid food and not feel ill or have too much pain! Just the idea of improvement of any type/amount is wonderful!!! I don't need it to be overnight or all at once, any little bit is fine! Maybe the 40mg is finally getting the flare to settle down a bit...I was really getting worried that it wouldn't be able to.

And...even more exciting, I got a call from my GI that he has statrted all the paperwork for me to start Humira...now just the wait for the insurance company, etc.

Hope is the most amazing feeling!!!!!!

Current Meds
Prednisone
Entyvio

Past Meds
Humira
Lialda
6-MP
Remicade
Etc.......
11-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
IAmTheWalrus

My Support Groups:
This is more prove that doctors are taking the "top down" approach when it comes to meds, the earlier you start the Biologics the better chance they have at been effective, also, the name of the drug might be scary but they are called that because Humira is made from the same protein that our bodies produce.

I certainly wouldn't listen to random people on the "dangers of medication" I'd look at the 100% factual statistics.

http://www.ccfa.org/webcasts/Risk%20...Transcript.pdf

Here is a great article I suggest that anyone should read when starting meds. It was a HUGE relief to actual see what the stats where considering adverse effects instead of some random person spreading scaremongering stories.

Good luck with everything, I'm certain you'll be back to feeling your own selve soon.

Current Meds: Remicade, Imuran.

Risk/Benefits of treating Crohn's. Link below

http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/risk...transcript.pdf
11-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Terriernut

My Support Groups:

Fabulous news!!!! May every day get better for you!!!!
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Emily

My Support Groups:
Woohoo!! that's so awesome. Here's hoping Humira will work it's magic on you! It's really been so effective for me. I'm so glad your getting on the road to remission. Keep feeling better and better!!
  • Total colectomy with ileostomy at age 23
infliximab & azathioprine
11-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope the Humira works wonders for you.
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
This is more prove that doctors are taking the "top down" approach when it comes to meds, the earlier you start the Biologics the better chance they have at been effective, also, the name of the drug might be scary but they are called that because Humira is made from the same protein that our bodies produce.

I certainly wouldn't listen to random people on the "dangers of medication" I'd look at the 100% factual statistics.

http://www.ccfa.org/webcasts/Risk%20...Transcript.pdf

Here is a great article I suggest that anyone should read when starting meds. It was a HUGE relief to actual see what the stats where considering adverse effects instead of some random person spreading scaremongering stories.

Good luck with everything, I'm certain you'll be back to feeling your own selve soon.
Thank you for suggesting the transcript! I read it a few weeks ago and it was so informative and fact based! It was a great relief to those in my famiy who were afraid of the biologics as well. I have no fear of going on Humira at all and can't wait to get started! Life is long and I am ready to LIVE IT!!!!

Thanks again!
11-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
Woohoo!! that's so awesome. Here's hoping Humira will work it's magic on you! It's really been so effective for me. I'm so glad your getting on the road to remission. Keep feeling better and better!!
Thank you! I am so glad it has worked so well for you! Have you been on it long? How long did it take for you to feel a sense of it helping?
11-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That is great news.
11-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Emily

My Support Groups:
Have you been on it long? How long did it take for you to feel a sense of it helping?
I have been on it ten months now! It is wonderful. I can't remember perfectly but I know that within the first month I was definitely noticing improvement and was in full remission after about 2 months. Like you, I went into it with a positive attitude and didn't look back. All the people who try to scare you and disturb you with horror stories and whatnot have never experienced it, and don't realize that it can seriously change your life for the better.
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
I have been on it ten months now! It is wonderful. I can't remember perfectly but I know that within the first month I was definitely noticing improvement and was in full remission after about 2 months. Like you, I went into it with a positive attitude and didn't look back. All the people who try to scare you and disturb you with horror stories and whatnot have never experienced it, and don't realize that it can seriously change your life for the better.
I am so happy for you...that is just fantastic!!!! I can't wait to get started. Waiting a few months for it to work it's magic is nothing compared to the length of time I spent sick without a clue why...that time will fly by I'm sure!!!! Thanks again for the information!!!

Suzanne
11-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
Jessi

My Support Groups:
Yay, Suzanne! I am so excited for you! Yes, it takes time, and yes, it's worth the wait! Just like Heinz ketchup ~ "Good things are worth waiting for!"

I'm hoping that the Humira only works in your favor! Maybe it will even speed things along.

Dx'd with Psoriasis in 1993
Dx'd with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2004
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis on May 18, 2011

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anon.
11-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
IAmTheWalrus

My Support Groups:
Have to say suschex, I love your positive attitude, it's awesome.

=D

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Mental Health Support » I think I may be turning the corner....thank you for all the support!