• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi

Hi, I've just stumbled on this page by accident after googling the LOFFLEX diet. I had my first flare up at 17, lost 23kgs in 2 weeks and the doctors in the UK didnt know what was wrong with me. We are from South Africa so my mum sent me back there to see a gastroenterologist in Durban and he knew straight away that it was Chrons. The relief was incredible because I was sure I was going mad! I responded to treatment really well and was able to get back to normal life pretty quickly. The next flare up was just over 2 years ago, 4 weeks after I had my baby, I was put on a clinical study which I responded to really well again. I am in the middle of a flare up at the moment and I was trying to get information on alternate treatments to steroids. Sp thats about it for now, if anyone would like info on the clinical study I will happily provide it!

Welcome to both of you

:thumleft: You've found an amazing site to learn, share and support each other. I'm fairly new to this Dx so I still have more questions than any potential answers, but I'm sure learning a lot here.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi Mrs. P,

Sorry you're dealing with a flare up now! :frown:

My son was diagnosed in the spring and his treatment has been an enteral nutrition diet. The success in attaining remission is comparable to steroids (at least in children, not sure if the success rate is the same for adults). There are no side effects although it is not an 'easy' treatment as food is replaced by a nutritional supplement for a number of weeks.

There is a subforum under Treatments for Elemental, Enteral diets which should offer you much more information. http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161

I would love to hear about the clinical study/treatment which brought you success in the past!

Good luck :thumright:

Jessi

Hi MrsP, and welcome to the family. Glad you found us!! We have a lot of friends here from the UK. I'm sure you'll meet plenty soon. :hug:

You haven't flared in a while, so it would be great if you could get this one under control quickly and return to remission. A lot of people are on biologic meds rather than steroids. They work really well for a lot of people. Everyone's different, though.

Tesscorn has some good advice. Enteral nutrition works for loads of people too.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry you are having a flare up. I sure hope that with whatever treatment option you decide to go with (whether steroids, diet, alternative treatment) it does the trick.

I hope you feel better soon!