Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Stopping and starting Lialda

11-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
hclax903

Stopping and starting Lialda

I was diagnosed with Crohns in June of this year, and started taking Lialda about a month ago. I am having more pain while taking the Lialda and want to stop taking it for a bit unitl my next doctors appointment in 2 weeks, but I know there are some drugs that can produce an allergic reaction if you stop and start taking them. Is this one of them? If i stop now and it turns out the pain was unrelated, canI restart taking Lialda?

Thanks for your help!
11-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I think you can. It's not a medicine, like the biologics, where you build up immunity.

To be honest, I was on Lialda for over a year after being diagnosed. However, I recently stopped taking it, and I think Lialda was responsible for several (but not all) of my symptoms.

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - July 2010
Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease Retracted - October 2011

I am still sick and so confused...
11-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
lilbit

My Support Groups:
I was on Lialda recently and stopped taking it because it gave me stomach pains and not the crampy kind. My doctor said it was too strong for me and put me on Apriso which has worked out much better.
11-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am glad you mentioned that, lilbit. If I get my diagnosis back, I will suggest Apriso for treatment. I don't want to go back on Lialda.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Stopping and starting Lialda