Share Facebook

11-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
kzambuto

help!

Has anyone had the issue with not absorbing enough water? I only have small intestine left and the kidney doctor is threating to put a port in my chest since I am not absorbing properly. I guess my stage 2 kidney disease jumped up to four. Scared to death! I have tried pasta, bananas, questrin, nothing seems to help. The crohn's is not active and I have to watch my phosphorous level.
11-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
glum chump

My Support Groups:
Hi kzambuto

Have you tried Gatorade? I drink it every other day and it seems to be helping...even though I drink about 12 glasses of water, I still find myself dehydrated. Gatorade has been helpful.

I hope you can have some relief without getting a port placed in your chest.

Kismet
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
ameslouise

Yes, I get dehydrated at the drop of a hat. I can't go more than a day or so without either SmartWater or Gatorade or Propel. I like SmartWater best - no calories or taste - kinda expensive but I can get it on sale for $1 per 32 oz bottle. So for $7/week, I keep myself out of trouble.

Good luck! - Amy
11-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
This really is a problem for folks with an ileostomy. I hope with your browsing around the stoma subforum you've gotten some more advice about this.

I use powerade, and am very carefult about drinking alot of fluids. Any thing to help. Dehydration can be so debilitating, and in fact can land you in hospital. Quickly!
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
11-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I swear by a product call Nuun http://www.nuun.com/ it's basically dehydrated gatorade. No carbs, mildly flavoured, just drop it into water and it dissolves.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

11-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
ameslouise

Jason - Awesome! Thanks for the link. Never heard of the stuff but will give it a try. This would be great for travelling, when I can't carry ten bottles of smartwater with me on a trip!!!

- Ames
11-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
The flavour takes a bit to get use to, it's not very sweet. But it's not too bad.
11-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
robbo87

My Support Groups:
I've been prescribed something called dioralyte, A powder that you put into a glass of water and it contains all the electrolytes and things to keep you hydrated and it works a treat. It's not the nicest tasting stuff in the world but there is a black currant flavoured one which isn't to bad. And because it's a sachet its pretty easy to take anywhere with you just incase. I have also limited what I drink but my body seems to have adjusted to it now.
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
11-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Dsnygrl377

Yes, i experience a lot that i find that i am never fully hydrated. I also drink lots of Gatorade, but I have to water it down some. If I drink it straight from the bottle it hurts painfully in my stomach.

Also, at times b/c i barely have any small intestines left - if I am out somewhere with a bunch of friends and I drink lots of water, teas, etc, it comes straight out and I am constantly in the bathroom. So I am trying to just get over that but its a hassle b/c with me what goes in about 5 minutes later it's right back out - and that is just drinking water.

But, when I am home or somewhere where I am comfortable I am drinking a lot!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Go SAINTS! I'm a WhoDat Nawlins girl born and raised!

http://www.facebook.com/monica377

Crohn's since 1998; 2000 Colostomy 4 months later/reversal; 2004 Illeostomy to present, with many many surgeries in between.

Currently On
Humira & b12 injections

Supplements
Multi-vitamins - Iron
11-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
ameslouise

Just got my first order of Nuun - Love it! Came just in time - I had the stomach flu for four days and was super dehydrated. I thought I would have to go to the hosp for some fluids. But thanks to the Nuun, SmartWater and lots of salty broth, I am good to go!

Nuun is having a special right now - free shipping until 12/9

- Amy