Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Thoughts on Flu shots

11-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #31
muppet

I wouldn't make my argument that the government knows best, personally... LOL

11-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
handle

To be fair, the article Lydia referred to was only 'reported' by CBS. The research was done by the Cochrane Collaboration, a reputable organization who promote evidence based health care, and who were awarded a seat at the World Health Assembly for their work.

I second the notion that getting people to wash their hands is very important! Even people who don't get the flu can carry it and then pass it around. Over reliance on the vaccine alone (not washing hands or bothering to support your general health) is also a less than desirable outcome.
11-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Since I am on Humira I am making sure I get a flu shot each year. I think I need the extra protection. I would suggest that you make sure you get the injection and not the nasal method. The nasal method involves a live virus while the injection involves a inert virus. With Humira (or Remicade or Cimzia) you are immunosuppressed. I would think the inert virus is a bit safer for us.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
11-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #34
Max's Mom

My Support Groups:
Max(11) gets the flushot.His younger brother (who has asthma)also gets it. His sister gets the nasal mist. They have never gotten the flu.
11-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #35
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I got my flu shot in August. I personally think every chronie especially one on an immunosuppresor should get it.
11-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #36
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Flu shots don't cover all strains of the flu so you can still get sick. Does it drastically change your chances of getting sick? No. I've been on immunosuppressants most of my life (since I was 9 years old) and haven't noticed a huge difference with or without it.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the the vaccine with or without the preservative, Thimerosal? I've read that it can cause mild allergic reactions in some people and I'm just a bit worried that this might trigger some sort of immune reaction??? As far as I know, in Canada, most clinics have been given supplies of vaccines with and without the preservative. Stephen's going to get his shot later at a local clinic but I've told him (and his dad) to only give him the vaccine without the preservative and, if necessary, we'll check at another clinic.

Any thoughts? Do you think my concern re the preservative is unwarranted?
11-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #38
muppet

Does anyone have any thoughts on the the vaccine with or without the preservative, Thimerosal? I've read that it can cause mild allergic reactions in some people and I'm just a bit worried that this might trigger some sort of immune reaction??? As far as I know, in Canada, most clinics have been given supplies of vaccines with and without the preservative. Stephen's going to get his shot later at a local clinic but I've told him (and his dad) to only give him the vaccine without the preservative and, if necessary, we'll check at another clinic.

Any thoughts? Do you think my concern re the preservative is unwarranted?
The preservative is a concern but the quantities are tiny. Many (most?) vaccinations no longer use this preservative.

As for Crabby - you are giving out your anecdotal experience as if it were scientific data, which is terribly irresponsible of you. God forbid some uninformed read this thread and use your post as medical advice.

Research data and medical outcomes overwhelmingly support vaccination generally (flu or otherwise). Any parent who in this day and age and in the face of all the evidence does not vaccinate their child has been led astray and is endangering not only their own child but everyone that child interacts with.

This is not a political issue. This is not a personal issue. This is a medical and safety issue.
11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #39
Mayflower537

My Support Groups:
Muppet, while I agree with you in general as far as immunizations go and I do immunize my children, the OP asked for thoughts and experiences, which is what I thought Crabby was giving.
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #40
rygon

My Support Groups:
I agree, Crabbie didnt say it was a waste of time, just that hes never had a shot, and has never had the flu.

Im bound to get it as I have a work collegue who will come to work no matter how bad he feels. Ive told him (who is my boss) that having to stay in the same room with him for 12hrs will most prob make me pretty ill seeing that im on aza (and now remicade) but he still thinks its better to brave it out so he can say hes a "proper man"
11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #41
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I never said it was a waste of time of course and gave my experience from childhood to adulthood both with and without a flu shot. Sometimes I would get it and sometimes I didn't. I got the flu just as often with the flu shot than without it because there are multiple strains of the flu out there. The main point of my post was that you can still get the flu with a flu shot. And that's not made up medical science.

"There are several reasons why someone might get flu-like symptoms even after they have been vaccinated against the flu.

1. People may be exposed to an influenza virus shortly before getting vaccinated or during the two-week period that it takes the body to gain protection after getting vaccinated. This exposure may result in a person becoming ill with flu before the vaccine begins to protect them.

2. People may become ill from other (non-flu) viruses that circulate during the flu season, which can also cause flu-like symptoms (such as rhinovirus).

3. A person may be exposed to an influenza virus that is not included in the seasonal flu vaccine. There are many different influenza viruses that circulate every year. The flu shot protects against the 3 viruses that research suggests will be most common. Unfortunately, some people can remain unprotected from flu despite getting the vaccine. This is more likely to occur among people that have weakened immune systems. However, even among people with weakened immune systems, the flu vaccine can still help prevent influenza complications. For more information about the effectiveness of the flu vaccine, see How Well Does the Seasonal Flu Vaccine Work?"
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm

The forum isn't meant to attacking others Muppet and everyone who joins the site are made aware that we are not medical doctors and do not give out medical advice.
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #42
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I don't think any concern you have about Stephen is unwarranted Tess.

The vaccines that are produced here don't contain Thimerosal. Since you do have a choice and are concerned about the preservative I would stick with what you have already decided. It seems a very sound decision to me.

Dusty. xxx
11-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #43
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
I didn't realize this was such a debated decision!

Praying for Remission
Vedolizumab 8-8-14
Ileostomy 3/22/14
Multivitamin,Iron,Vit D

Total EEN 12-10-13 to:TPN 1-29-14 - 4-2-14
Tried:Azathioprine,Pred,Pentasa,Cimzia Bi weekly & MTX 9/2013 to 8/2014, Humira 1/2011-9/2013, w/oral mtx 5 mos in 2013. Remicade: Had allergic reaction Jan 2011 Built up antibodies by 3rd infusion.
Has done round of Flagyl due to abcess 12/10 and 10-21-13 which helped both heal quickly.
11-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #44
D Bergy

It is debated because of the way most studies measure immunuzation effectiveness. It is usually measured by the production of antibodies, and not by the actual rate of Flu infection after innoculation. Antibodies are not equal to immunity, but it is a better selling tool.

As mentioned already, the vaccine reflects a guess on which strain will spread around for any particular year, and it is often guessed wrong. Even if it is right, it is ever mutating making it a moving target.

That is compounded by the fact that many cases reported as the Flu are actually other viruses or infections. They are not normally confirmed by testing.

The better studies go by decreased mortality rate, which is not often measured. When it is measuered the ineffectiveness is quite clear. After all, if you do not have any less deaths in the population that is vaccinated, what is the point of getting it? You are essentially exposing yourself to the possible side effects of the vaccination with no potential benefit.

The best realistic estimate I have seen of the effectiveness rate is it may protect 1 to 2% of those who are vaccinated. Given the difficulty of vaccinating against a mutating virus, I can understand why it is as low as it is. Bacterial infections are much more stable, and at least you have a decent chance of immunity with a bacterial vaccination.

Dan
11-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #45
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
Once the flu season is over...we can all compare notes! Who got the shot...who didn't...and who got the flu! Just kidding It sure has been interesting reading all of this. A lot of you have really done some extensive research.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Thoughts on Flu shots