Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » A question for the Canucks

11-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
A question for the Canucks

So I am almost out of the supplies that I managed to wrangle andfinesse out of the gov't, hospital and various medical supply companies.

At this point I think that I will run out sometime near mid January (I think that's pretty good considering surgery was in June).

Where do you buy your supplies?
Goodnight Sweet Prince

11-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Ignitus

I have been using Shoppers Home Healthcare for several years now.
11-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I go to Shoppers Home Heathcare too

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

11-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
Thanks, I've checked into it, apparently the closest Home Healthcare is on the other side of the city. I guess if I go every couple months and stock up it won't be so bad.
11-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Cant you order by phone Jason? And they send by post? (sorry, I am not a Canuck...by am a lifelong hockey fan..and therefore speak with some canadian accent...so, sorry, I just asked if you could maybe do that to order supplies, that way you wouldnt have to drive ooot and abooot to get them)
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
11-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I'm looking into delivery but my place is located in an odd area and it always takes a couple attempts for things to get delivered and then I either need to reroute them to work or pick them up at the depot. I can't even get pizza properly delivered.

If I knew how to drive it wouldn't be so bad. I might see if the Shoppers near me will special order them.
11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Ah. I got me a parcel box to help with deliveries. However, when I was in the middle of nowhere....well, that didnt help much.

The parcel box is great by the way, its lockable and they dont have to knock on your door at odd hours. Its lockable, and has a code so they dont need a signature. All my stoma supplies and my prescriptions are delivered there, so they dont need to bother me, or my poor neighbours.
11-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
My apartment is on a major street, but I share the address with a coffee shop. I live behind and below it. The issue is my place can only be accessed from behind by going down an alley way.
11-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I know that Shoppers Home Heathcare delivers...I think if you call them and tell them about your delivery issue you can probably work it out with them. There's also a medical supply store on Bathurst St...

http://www.starkmanshealth.com/

Not sure if that's any better for you or not. I've gotten supplies from them as well. They're actually a bit cheaper than Shoppers.
11-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
Nyx, that is actually quite convenient. That's about 45 minutes on foot, well it would be if I wasn't a lazy bastard.
11-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
poolside

I live 35 min (by car) from a Shoppers Home Health and they delivered for me all the time, no problems. Mind you my place was relatively easy to find.
They also offer an ostomy discount that you can sign up for. Plus get an optimum card and you get points for all that money you spend on supplies, you can use the points for anything in the store. They add up quick.
I would def look into them delivering to the nearest Shopper's, they usually bend over backward to get your ostomy business.

Making Crohn's sexy since 1995

Remi: 6 years, the love affair is over now :-(
Hysterectomy
Ovarian cancer : treated

Resection/Colostomy 2011
Cancer recurrence

Colostomy Reversal 2011
11-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
poolside

I know that Rexall also carries ostomy supplies in their "specialized care" stores, is there a Rexall closer to you?
11-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I only know of one Rexall downtown and they are pretty small.

But the Shoppers near me is great, the pharmacist is a very delightful woman who share too much information about herself.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » A question for the Canucks