Share Facebook

11-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
denisk

Coffee drinkers?

I've been reading a really good book lately about nutrition and it makes alot of sense however I'm not sure about this? It says coffee is not good at all for anyone with Chron's but it doesn't seem to bother me? I'm just wondering how many others on here can still handle coffee and for those that can't what does it do to you?
11-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Ducey99

Coffee is one of the only things I definitely can't tolerate. I might as well pour it directly in the toilet for the way it passes through me haha.
That being said, everyone is different. I'd say if you can tolerate it then congratulations and enjoy
11-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
Love, love, love my coffee! I still drink three cups every morning and have no pain. That being said, diarrhea is not one of my CD symptoms so the coffee (along with a cap of Miralax in each cup) actually helps with my constipation.

I think coffee, like all things we ingest, it is trial and error since everyone's CD is so different.

Current Meds
Prednisone
Entyvio

Past Meds
Humira
Lialda
6-MP
Remicade
Etc.......
11-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
beth

My Support Groups:
I can handle one cup every few days. Any more frequently and bad things happen!
11-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
I love coffee! It doesnt bother me!
Maybe its saying that because caffiene can inhibit the absorption of many vitamins and minerals, including Iron and Calcium. Us Crohnies have difficulty absorbing things anyway, are often aneamic and when on steroids dont absorb calcium as well.
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
11-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
scottmyster

I can tolerate coffee it does seem to bother me at all. but , i only have one cup of coffee a day because it keeps me up at night.

“The greatest gift that you can give yourself is a little bit of your own attention.” Anthony J. D' Angelo____________________

Dx Crohns 1990
Present medication
Asacol 2400mg and prednisone and buscopan and demerol for pain
Supplements
Omega -3 fish oils
Probotic supplements
B100complex vitamin

11-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
archie

I love it and have a cup every morning it doesn't give me D but it def irritates (mild) my stomach as soon as I drink it but it's not bad enough to make me stop. Real coffee is worse for some reason. I couldn't tolerate more than 1 cup a day though

Diagnosed Crohn's 2010
ileocecal resection 2010
Meds: Nil and in remission

11-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Coffee doesn't bother me atall (except if it is black - have to have milk in it though) and never has. I've been drinking it almost as long as I have had crohn's (21 years next month).

I've migrated from drinking it with cream and sugar (a double double at Tim Horton's) to just milk and will go with decaf if I have it in the evening. Like suschex noted, it's likely one of those food items that causes difficulty for some and no issues for others.
11-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Del

Black coffee is fine by me...
Have a cup in the morning and maybe one later and it does not bother me...I am glad to say..
11-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
I forgot to mention....I drink Folgers Simply Smooth which is made to be easier on the stomach.
11-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ohhh how I miss it.. I lived on caramel lattes a couple of years ago! Unfortunately it does go straight through me worse than any other food and seems to king hit every part of my bowel on the way down. I tried it "one last time" with soy milk last Sunday after avoiding for months but it was just agony like the other times.. boo. And it's so hard to get delicious, caffeine-free Chai lattes in my area! They're in every cafe in Sydney.

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis October 2011
150mg Imuran
Started Humira 40mg 26/03/13
Vit D Supplement

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."
11-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I love really dark coffee but my stomach has been pretty sensitive lately so I've stopped drinking it. I've switched to making my own chai and have had no problems.
11-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Feather

I don't have coffee very often, but I definitely don't feel well when I do. I think caffeine in general isn't very good for Crohn's? Not sure the science about it, but I tend to avoid it for the most part.
11-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
silvermist

Drink coffee, tea, soda. Nothing bothers me.
11-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
David
Co-Founder

There are countless variables that need to be taken into account when answering a question as seemingly simple as, "Is it ok for me to drink coffee" beyond, "Does this hurt my stomach or give me D." For example, caffeine is shown to inhibit calcium absorption and increase its excretion. Are you on Prednisone or have you been on it for long periods of time? If so, I'd avoid coffee. Are you on Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)? It is shown to interfere with the breakdown of caffeine so it stays in your system much longer. Not good. I've also read that caffeine can interfere with the absorption of zinc, copper, manganese, B vitamins, and vitamin A while reducing the number of vitamin D receptors. Not so good for Crohnies
11-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #16
silvermist

I have to admit that I'm not on those. Asacol and Azathioprine are all that I'm on. Have been for 4 yrs, I've only had 1 problem with drinking coffee, tea or soda. I have an ulcer. And that's when it bothers me. I also drink water and plenty of that just to keep moist. Walking around licking your lips is a very uncomfortable thing, because most people don't know your ill and need lots of liquid. And as for vitamins I only take B12 for the being tired all the time. I've had to fight eniema all my life, other things I take is an inhaler for my asthma which I was born with. All I've got to say is I'm one messed up chick. In taking other replacements I have to be very careful in what I do. And thank you for setting me straight, I'm not always smart in the things that effect other people. I wish you and yours a very happy thanksgiving.
11-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
outlier

My Support Groups:
coffee is my comfort food. I swear it makes my heartburn better 90% of the time other 10% of the time it tries to kill me. but i love it and it's been pretty good to me. if your not a coffee drinker and you added a lot of sugar or milk or just dislike it i can't imagine that would help but if you do like coffee go for it. caffine does amazing things to our bodies.
No more sulfasalazine, Methotrexate, Xibrom, Pred Forte and Iron
11-29-2011, 04:17 AM   #18
jaggartini

I love coffee but am starting to wonder if it's doing me any favours. I do get pain when i'm drinking it. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo, I love my coffee, not much but a few cups a day.

Tea...... no probs whatsoever.

Currently taking:
4 x 1g sachets Pentasa (every morning)
5mg x Prednisone
Probiotic Daily

Allergic Reaction to Imuran May 2011.
Reaction to Cyclosporin Nov 2011.
I've said no to Methotrexate as it sounds toxic and GI doesn't like using it.
Next stop may be surgery.

Had a major flare last Nov, hospitalised where I haemorrhaged. Ended up in ICU and blood transfusion.

11-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #19
denisk

just having a coffee now but limit is one per day
11-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
hangingon

i've been a severe coffee addict for the last 9 years and have recently begun the switch to decaf so i can faze it out. i've given up just about everything else to no avail so it has to go... so sad

dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket.
11-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Natalie38

Hi,

Love love my coffee, yet I do limit myself to one cup in the morning. Only one. I don't have problems physically from it. Although when I am in flare, i cant touch it.....
11-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
Natalie38

I've been reading a really good book lately about nutrition and it makes alot of sense however I'm not sure about this? It says coffee is not good at all for anyone with Chron's but it doesn't seem to bother me? I'm just wondering how many others on here can still handle coffee and for those that can't what does it do to you?
Hi,

What is the name of the book?
11-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #23
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
I recently gave up coffee. I had headaches every day for a week or so, but now I'm fine. I haven't really noticed a difference in my symptoms.
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
11-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
Emily

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I quit when I was flaring mostly because I didn't need to be caffeinated while lying in bed all day. But in remission at school I can't do without it. Doesn't bother my tummy more than anything else does.
  • Total colectomy with ileostomy at age 23
infliximab & azathioprine
11-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
shazz

I do love my coffee. I have had to give up so much other food(been on a low res diet since May) and stuff I like so no way will I give up my coffee. I dont like tea and have problems when I drink fizzy drinks but coffee is ok. I only have decaf and if I go out I allow myself 1 normal cup.Dont go out much so I think it doesnt count.
Am on: Citalopram,warfarin, paracetamol
Ozzie was born on 2/2/12
23/2/12 p.e in both lungs.
Now the gallbladder decides to say hello!!
11-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Coffee doesn't bother my stomach but gives me heartburn.
12-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #27
denisk

The book is from the editors of Prevention Magazine, it's called
Food and Nutrition

Big thick book but an awesome read and reference tool, highly suggest it.
12-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #28
raeleene7

Coffee?!!!! But of course! Love my coffee! I refer to it as the nectar of the gods- lol! Its all about the flavor, not the effect, for me. I've had to give up or change soooo much in the last 6 years but coffee has been my constant. The only time I can't drink it is when I'm having a flare, and that has more to do with not wanting anything at all besides lots of water. I asked my GI doctor about it several years ago, and his reply was that if it didn't bother me, have at it!
I will say to keep in mind that we are all different, our bodies react differently to food, beverages, medicines, etc. I pretty much as a rule stay away from anything that bothers my CD, at least most of the time that is- lol! That being said, enjoy it if you can!

Crohns- Severe
Date diagnosed: 06/2006
Current Gastro Doctor: University of Virginia Med. Center
Surgeries: 9
Meds previously taken: Prednisone, imuran, metho, remicade, cimzia, humira, pentasa, prilosec, on and on and on. (tried all meds to date- except tysabri!)
Trials: 6
Previous Nutrient Supplements: Insure, oil, B-12 shots, prescription D and Calcium, etc.
Current Meds: Prilosec
Current Nutrient Supplements: Juice Plus, Insure, biotin (helps with my hair loss)
Recommends: Zumba
12-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #29
Jane

My Support Groups:
I used to be a coffee drinker. I no longer drink it on a regular basis because it seems to exacerbate my symptoms. Drinking it can make my stomach feel achy and increase the frequency of my poo.

I do have coffee on rare occasions - if I am feeling particularly tired or on holidays (I LOVE coffee with sugar and half-n-half). One cup on rare occassions doesn't seem to bother me.
12-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
Snickerdoodle

My Support Groups:
I indulge in 1 cup of coffee with non dairy creamer on days when the 6MP is totally licking me in the exhaustion department. There were times when it actually helped my symptoms but eventually it started to make them worse sometimes. So I don't know if coffee is ok for me or not.