• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

It's been a long, long time

Hello Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on this board. I had a horrible year and 1/2 with this dern Crohn's and illeostomy. I had been in UNC for months, and had 3 surgeries in 1 year. I had to get more of my small intestines removed, and the worst part, was they didn't stitch me back up, they kept the incision open, and I was in the hospital for about 1 week, and I had to be sent home with an open wound. It was horrible. I had to change the wound, pack it, you name it. There is a lot more that I've been through, but you name it - it happened. I cried every single day thinking being so miserable. God surely pulled me through those dark times.

Once I was home, the Dr's told me it'd take a year or longer to heal. I had lost lots of weight, and mentally and emotionally I was doing terrible. It took forever for me to finally gain some weight back. I know dealing with Crohn's, and for me having an illeostomy at times depresses me, the Dr's put me on Remeron, and that has seemed to help me gain weight, and also manage the depression I was dealing with. I'm not back to my normal weight, but am not where I was during recovery. But currently I am happy with the weight I am now...

So, now it's been a year since my major surgery, and I am doing extremely well. I have had some issues with the stoma, and I didn't like how the surgeon re-did it. It would sink back into my stomach, and cause more accidents than before. I've had Page (her name lol) since 2004, and in Sept with consult with my Dr. he re-did the stoma, and she's now better than before!! However, there is a small dent, which is just the shape of my stomach, on the side near the stoma,where i find l get a lot of leaks. So, I've got to shape the Eakin Seals the right way in order to get a good tight seal. The Ostomy RN tells me I don't need a convex wafer, but for my condition and how my abdomen is sinking in I know I need it. It just annoys me when they think they know better than us patients do. Anyone else have that issue? I know if I go back and talk to her and tell her Im getting more and more leaks she will give me convexity.

I'm 34, and have had an illeostomy since 2004 - I have a lot of fears since having this - like acceptance by guys, not necessarily friends that are girls, but just fear of not being liked. I know it doesn't define who Monica is, but it is something i think about alot. It did save my life, and I wouldn't be here had the Dr's not given me the illeostomy. But I struggle with acceptance, being a single woman - wondering if guys would even want to date me. Maybe some of y'all can kind of give me some advice, pointers, etc. I did date 1 guy before, in 2005, and he was just so glad i was alive and he did all he could to help me to get better - so I know there are guys out there, but it's just a concern of mine...anyhow...

now that I am all better and back on the road to recovery - I just got back from my favorite place, Walt Disney World. I had the best time and I felt super while I was there!

I also want to be more active on this board and make new friends who have Crohn's, and also have illeostomy's or colostomy's. We are the ones who understand what we all go through when those of our friends don't. This is a great site. So glad there is a place we can go to to make friends, vent, cry, laugh, etc!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Monica! :bigwave:

I have wondered where you were!

Holy haberdashery you have been through the wringer, thank goodness you are finally getting on the better end of it!

It's so fab to have you back Monica and it will be great seeing you around. :)

I hope all continues to go well hun...:goodluck:

Dusty. xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Monica and welcome back! I am sorry you had such a difficult year, but I am so happy that you (and Page) are doing so well! Are you taking any maintenance medication?

I LOVE Disney, too! My hubby and I go every year. Our next visit is scheduled for this coming February. We are going all out this time (we usually stay in a "moderate resort") and staying in an arusha savannah view room at the animal kingdom lodge. I can't wait!! Crossing my fingers I'll feel well for the trip as you did.

Thanks y'all for the welcome back. I am so glad to be back too! YAY!!

Yes, I've had the most difficult year in all years dealing with Crohn's and illeostomy surgeries - YIKES! it's all over now and am so so much better!!
I missed you too, Dusty! Wish you all the best too

Jill - Awesome on a stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge!! that is actually, a Deluxe Resort so wow lucky you this time!!! I am going to be praying that you are feeling super in February. I am hoping to have already moved there by then - yes, i am planning a move there - that is my dream and it's progressing well!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
My hubby and I want to move to FL, too! We had an opportunity to move near Daytona (not too far from Disney!), but it was when I first got sick, so my husband declined the job offer. Unfortunately, he hasn't had any other offers. Where are you currently located, Monica?

Currently right now I am Raleigh, NC - Im originally from New Orleans born and raised - but due to health issues in N.O., and the environment I was in - I moved here to NC to get better care, at UNC.

Im sorry that it didnt work out for you to move to Daytona. You'd have been closer to Disney than you are now. At least you are going in Feb and that will give you something to look forward to. I'm praying you remain in great health so your time there is magical!

Astra

Hiya Monica!
It's good to see you again!

I'm sorry you've had such an awful year, you should've come back earlier! If only to scream!
Fingers crossed that you're on the right path to recovery.
xxx

You're right, Joan I should have come back earlier - even if it were to vent, scream, and cry. I was in such a deep dark depression I shut everyone out. That last surgery, when they left me open to heal - really did it in for me. I was so mad and upset they sent me home with a huge 9 inch open wound that I could see deep down inside the walls of my abdomen. But, it was to prevent any further infection.

I'm glad to be back now with the wonderful people of this board. I'm kicking myself for not coming here during my recovery, b/c the support would have helped big time. But I am here now and plan to stay no matter what!

As of now the Surgeon and GI Doc say there is no trace of Crohn's present - so I am doing extremely well!

Astra

I can't imagine what that was like Monica but you're on the mend now, and now we'll see more of you, so it's all good!
xxx