• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Uc, pmr, pg

Hi, I'm new here but have been active on j-pouch.org for several years. It's a similar forum for those of us who are about to or already have had our colon removed. I "lived with" UC for over 30 years and also developed Polymyalgia Rheumatica about 10 years ago. 3 years ago my colonoscopy was not good with possible precancerous cells and a lot of ulceration. Long story, short...2 surgeries for total colectomy and J-pouch formation. Developed infected abcess and was on IV picc line antibiotics for 8 weeks. Third surgery was required to repair hernias (mesh) at main incision and stoma sites. (when they tell you not to lift anything after surgery, they mean it).
After things calmed down following the surgeries, I was getting pretty used to the new normal. This summer I got what I thought was a spider or tick bite on my left shin. It got very red, sore, and ozzed puss. GP treated with antibiotics which did nothing. Another GP decided it could be Erethema Nodosum. It seemed to improve on its own after about 6 weeks but soon another new spot developed on other shin. This area was worse with multiple "hot" spots. Dr. put me on more antibios. and 40mg tapering dose of prednisone. The pred seemed to help but when finished the area got worse than before. GP called Rheumatologist who treated me for the PMR and got me appt. on short notice. (normally takes 3 months to see this Dr.)
This brings me pretty much up to date. The Rheum. diagnosed it as Pyoderma Gangrenosum and put me on 60mg Pred, Azithioprine and antibiotics. I hate all the drugs. The pred has me very wired and moody (not to mention the unseen side-effects.) But it is clearing up.
I'm looking for advice on treatments especially how you keep it from re-occuring. One thing I just read about is Manuka Honey. Anyone tried it?
Thanks for reading!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Richard and welcome! I am sorry to hear about the Pyoderma Gangrenosum and all the meds that go with it. I wish I had some advice to offer, but I don't have any experience with this.

Perhaps you may want to post your questions in the Extra Intestinal Manifestations forum. You might get a better response there.

Good luck!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Richard414!

I am glad you are trying our community out.

I have not heard about Manuka Honey before, so would be interested to here what it does for you if you try it out.

Hope you get some relief soon from your symptoms!