• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Single/married/kids??? Please answer

Are you single or living with family?

• Single (Not married, no kids)

Votes: 65 19.3%
  • Single parent (not married with kids)

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Married (married without kids)

Votes: 49 14.6%
  • Married with kids

Votes: 147 43.8%
  • I live with my boyfriend/girlfriend

Votes: 39 11.6%
  • I live with my parents or other family member

Votes: 23 6.8%

• Total voters
In a long distance relationship, but basically a single mum with 2 kids.
Divorce caused heaps of stress, flare up and surgery. :(

LOSTnut

Poopy
Single (again -- after 5, well 4 trying years), one daughter who is 27 and living with her boyfriend in her own apartment ... but close by. :)

Married with 2 foster kids. Oto is 28 and living away from us now. Ashley is 20 an living at home.Both are special needs kids.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
@ dette~ Guys are just big babies =)
As man who only admits he's sick if a hospital is involved ( even then I still don't agree that I had pneumonia when I was admitted in 2009), and only notifies people outside of work if the stay is longer than 2 days, I disagree. And it leads me to believe you know a lot of "mamma's boys"

As man who only admits he's sick if a hospital is involved ( even then I still. don't agree that I had pneumonia when I was admitted in 2009), and only notifies people outside of work if the stay is longer than 2 days, I disagree. And it leads me to believe you know a lot of "mamma's boys"
Amen. When I had my surgery I ended up not needing to use my morphine pump. I think I hit that button one time. Mammas boys should have to deal with something like crohns disease.That will toughen them up.

Single for seven years. Two foster kids - boys 16 & 17. The younger one is an amazing help when I am sick - really steps up to the plate. Three cats - Max, Henry and Pixie - they are like my little babies and are very spoiled.
Specifically avoided having my own offspring as I did not want to pass on the genes - but I love kids and love my little family.
I am really inspired by the heartfelt stories of people's amazing and supportive spouses and partners. It really gives me hope. I know I can find somebody special for me - after quit a few failed attempts!
My Mum usually looks after me when I'm sick, and she is getting older and more frail. I worry about who will care for me when I get sick. So once I am all better from my recent surgery - I think after having had a very long break - I am rejoining the dating pool. My youngest is also very keen for me to get a girlfriend - and I would never want to disappoint him! I'm not sure how attractive my new bag is to the ladies though .... guess I will find out huh!

Married w/kids pets

I have been married since '94 to the most wonderful man I have ever known. We met on a day I thought I would be alone forever.lol..So we have been together 20 years married 18 years. We have 3 son's 25,20,and the youngest 15. I am so blessed to have a spouse who tries to understand this disease,is compassionate,and never complains of lack of intimacy because I just ache all over.
We live on a mini farm that has become more than we both can handle but I still reserve the right to all my fur babies inside and out..

diagnosed CD in 2005 by surgeon who did resect
no one will agree on CD meds so I am on Bentyl.tylenol,imodium,B12 inj 1 x week,and lots of soup.:stinks:
Going to new GI doc 2-24-12 hopefully he can make a difference

I'm 27.. have been dating my gf for 7 years and a bit now and just recently found out I have Crohn's... Before I was always worried about getting a stable job so that I could get her to be my wife.. now... I'm not sure how I feel as I don't want to give her a time bomb.. I don't have any pain or symptoms right now but who knows what would happen eventually. I always wanted kids too..

I love her so much though.. and she has been with me up until today (when I don't have any pain/hospital visits yet).. as I still live with my mother and sister.

I really don't know how our future will turn out.. I really don't know how my crohn's will affect me in the long run..

Married with 4 kids (30, 28, 24, 20). Husband is a retired Marine, and 3 of the kids are military (one each Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps). My husband deserves hazardous duty pay for putting up with me. Patient, understanding, and has no problem picking up my slack. I also have a 14 yo lab. Lost our 17 yo border collie last year. My kids are all very supportive, and helpful if they are around. I am hoping to be well enough to go back to work on a small scale this year. Been unable to work since April 2011. I feel like trying to get healthy is a full time job right now. Oh, and I love this forum...can I count it as one of my children?

Jasonma88

I hope for you the very best.
I am glad you have a faithful partner in your life and family as well. I pray you don't let CD hinder your choices for a full and bright future. You are in the beginning and there have been so many strides in the health care industry for CD. Please take advantage of all you can.

When someone we love is sick or unable to ask for help, that is when the true bonding begins. Marriage is in sickness and health and if your girl has been there through the diagnosis she will be there through all of it. As for wanting children...when the time is right they will come and joyous will it be.

Come here for any answers to questions everyone here is wonderful. Welcome aboard and I hope you have the very best in all you do:ybiggrin:

I've been married for 4 months, been with the husband for 7 years.
We don't have any plans for children at the moment, neither of us feel ready yet.
We do have a fluff though, 4 yr old Charlie Mouse, the cat.

Married, 3 kids, and a Lakeland Terrier (counts for 2 more kids!!)

I am new to the forum; married (27 yrs.) with 3 children (they were 3, 7 & 10 when I was diagnosed). And this is for Terriernut: I have a male Lakeland Terrier that is now 8yrs. old. We love him and he's very well-trained, funny, snuggly and handsome, but I'll still plead temporary insanity for that decision. Really, what WAS I thinking????? That's what I get for always being optimistic, haha. Jokes on me.

Married for 18 years, our daughter is 17, a senior in highschool, and our son is 10, 5th grader. I was diagnosed while in college, started seeing my hubby after I graduated, so he knew going in all about my Crohn's.

I'm 27, been married for 7 years now and have one beautiful little baby girl :)

Oh gosh! I lied, i'm 28... just had a birthday! LOL

It's encouraging to see so many people on here are in relationships. It gives me hope.
I split with my long-time partner in December last year, a week before being diagnosed with Crohn's. I also have Persistent Post Concussion Syndrome (and am likely to for a very long time).
The break down of my relationship was primarily due to my health problems, especially the fatigue.

Spooky1

No, not married. tbh the whole thought of trussing myself up in a wedding dress, putting on the slap and holding a bouquet of flowers put me off, despite the crohns. omg, no, no children. I can't look after myself with this health. yes, the fatigue, yes the joints, yes the extra intestinal manifestations, and my partner seems to be my PEG! why did i have to get this????

Married with two kids, diagnosed during dating my hubby. Two kids while on my meds, no issues. Two cats, they've been around as long as the hubby. One is my medicine kitty who'll cuddle with me when I don't feel well!

Not married. I was for 17 years but I've been divorced for 14 years.

No children.

Dogs and cats. I like my furballs and they have a pet nanny.

Married 17 yrs in July, been together 18.5 yrs, have two daughters 17 yrs and 7 yrs......having them 10 yrs apart sure does present its own challenges. I think if i look back all those times i had crampy stomach pain and D, was probably mild symptoms........which leads me back before my second daughter was born.

We also have two dogs and a hamster! :)

I've been married for 7 years, have 2 children, 4 & 5 years old and have only recently been diagnosed with Crohn's. My youngest son has life threatening food allergies to most foods, so I think the stress of keeping him safe has played a part in my Crohn's. My hubby is supportive, however, when he gets scared, like when I was first diagnosed, his first reaction was anger, and he's easily angered. So it's a bit tricky, keeping a sane marriage, but I'm trying to cope best I can.

Ive been married to Sam for 11 years - we have 3 children, Brodie 10, Erica 9, Logan 5 (sig photos are very out of date!!)

I was diagnosed when pregnant with no.2 and after a re-section felt well enough for number 3.

The kids have been through a lot with me being very ill but they adapt very well -they know if they need me i am probably on the toilet! :poo:

My hubby has been absolutely amazing - he makes me laugh when it all gets too much and takes on the lions share of housework.

I told him to leave me when i was in intensive care which he was very annoyed about!

Married for 9 years...we were planning to start a family about now, but I got sick with everything last year. Now that I know I have three genetic disorders (Factor V Leiden, IgA deficiency, several genetic markers for Crohn's), I think we will not be having children. It is too risky. I would have to take blood thinner injections daily before, during and after the pregnancy and be at high risk for a lot of issues. I guess we will be happy with our dogs...

I'm not married but have been in the same relationship for 10 years (I chose married in the poll).

We've decided against having kids. I don't have the energy and it wouldn't be fair for him to pick up my slack on that. Plus, both of our parents are deceased and we don't live near family for any extra help.

We have 3 cats. :)

Live with my fiance (wedding planned for November 2013), our Golden Retriever and Occicat. Currently looking to expand the furry family :) (Not terribly keen on human children!)

Married 18 years this year. no kids, failed IVF (can't get past a few weeks). We have 1 Irish Red & White Setter and a adopted stray cat.

Im a newly wed :) 2/11/2012! We want kids as soon as Im stable on my cimzia and able to get off the entocort and lialda. We have a yorkie that thinks hes a human... hes our baby for now :)

How come 3 different schools?:eek2:
Well the eldest started high school,

The middle kid is in a special enriched music school for the gifted and the third is in primary school.

So we have three school calendars and to top it all off »My gf is a school secretary and she also0 has a different calendar because of course she is in a different school

Divorced but now in a new relationship :heart: (but we dont live together... so I put single on the poll). No kids but I have a dog and two cats... and my expanded family of my man includes a King boa. = Reson we dont live together. :ybiggrin: Oh and to specify the reason is we can not have the cats and snake in same apartment... not that I dont like the snake.

I have been very happily married for nearly 16 years (Sept. 28) and have two wonderful children - a boy and a girl, Adam (13 in 8th grade) and EmmaJean (9 and in 4th grade).

I've lived with my wonderful boyfriend for the past 4 1/2 years. We're both divorced, and his ex-wife always claimed to be ill, so he was quite closed off and worried - even though I was very upfront about my Crohn's. He's since learned the difference between living with a crazy woman looking for attention, and someone who is truly sick. My health has been at its absolute worst, and I almost died a year ago (fistula, abscess and 75cm of gut removed), but he's been my rock!

When I was young I decided that passing on Crohn's was something I absolutely didn't want to do. My Mum has struggled with Crohn's since she was 12, and her grandfather had it, so it very obviously runs in my family. So I had my tubes tied at a fairly young age.

Since then I ended up with a teenager who really needed a home and someone to just love her. She's now an adult and very much my daughter, even though I'm barely old enough to be her mother - biologically. My boyfriend has three kids, and while only one is living at home right now, I'm still their step mother, even though we're not married. Samantha is 9, Max is 16, Tim is 19, and Ellie is 25. Sam is still at home, Max is with his mother, Tim just moved into college, and Ellie lives with her boyfriend and goes to college as well was works.

I knew I'd have a family of some sort, but I never thought I'd be as lucky as this.

Single and living alone....but my awesome family is helping out as needed. Looking forward to getting through this flare or whatever it is so I can get back to working on changing the status.

Married and we only have the fuzzy kids. However the 2 small yappy yorkies has provided us with some introductory training :rof:

Married but both of us are on are 2nd marriage. We both had to find some coal before we found our gold.

I have 2 kids 17 and 13 from prior marriage but current has been more of a dad to them more than the sperm donor.

Was sick when we got married and has been very supportive the whole time. Actually in the hospital now and he is curled up on the little cot next me.

ok. I see this is old but thought I would share anyway :)
I am married to a great man who is 12 years older than I. Together we have a 4 year old boy and an 8 year old boy. I have a stepson - age 21 and stepdaughter- age 25; one pre- med in St. Paul, MN; the other in law school in St. Louis, Missouri. 2 dogs- age 12- but act like 2 year olds!

Live with my boyfriend of 2 years, and two roommates plus our pets. Daisy is our baby girl (a chi-weanie) since I'm not healthy enough for real babies right now.

Hi all! Married just slightly over a year now to a fantastic guy, who unfortunately has been dealing with Crohn's for the last six years. No kids yet, although the topic is up for discussion. We want to have kids, but we do have genetics to consider. At the very least, we'd love for him to be out of his flare-up and feeling better before adding the stress of a newborn to the situation.

Married husband and I both in our 40's. We have 4 kids and they are 30, 25, 23 and 15. My 30 yrs old is my oldest son he is not my husbands I had him when I was was just 16 he is a wonderful person so glad he's in this world has 1 yr of school left working on a business degree. For work, he works with the adult mentally and physically handicapped patients in an assisted living home. I actually think my symptoms started after I had him He was diagnosed with a childhood form of cancer and I had very little support from family I was pretty much on my own and at 16 not mentally capable of handling it, this is when the IBS diagnosis started for me. My 15 yr old needs to be replaced with a puppy LOL He has Type 1 diabetes and is always a struggle with him not wanting to give himself injections has been a type 1 diabetic since he was 5. The 23 and 25 yr olds are both girls and they are doing very well in their lives 23 yr old works for a local ENT and the 25 yr old is a nursing student and bot have family's of there own now. My husband and I are both married to our jobs.

Last edited:
I am married with two children. My daughter will be 3 in February and I have a seven month old son :) I was diagnosed when my daughter was six weeks old.

I am married to a wonderful Type 1 diabetic, we just celebrated our second anniversary. I have a 12 year old son from my first marriage. Two dogs :)

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
Very much married to my man { with Crohn's } and we have 3 Adult Children and two of them had to hear it all the time when he was sick so ... it has been hard but we are doing better at being there for him :)

I'm married and my husband and I just had our first daughter three months ago. She was a preemie, but she's doing spectacularly. However, my health is slipping right now. It's just a bit too much for me to handle with my terrible absorption problems, lack of sleep, lack of appetite, and giving away so many nutrients through my breast milk. I'm doing all I can in my power to stay afloat, though! I work, too--only three days a week for the time being, but it's another thing with which to contend. Luckily, my husband is amazing and supportive and, even though he works the same amount of hours as me, he takes full nighttime duties with our daughter.