• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The very beginning....

SRD

the very beginning....

my story all began valentines day 2010

well it actually began about a week and a half prior. on february 5 i had to kick out my fiance of 3 years. he was my everything, definitely my rock, i thought so anyways. well thats is when my stress started. i was NEVER a sick child i might have been in the doctors office a whole 10 times in my life. never had stayed over night in a hospital for my own sickness. then on february 13 my grand father had a heart attack, my other grand mother was admitted to another hospital due to congestive heart failure, and on sunday february 14th i woke up with extremely bad abdominal pains. i had a bad kidney stone 5 months prior in september and it was a similar but yet worst and not in my back. i tried to wait it out as the strong person i was but the pain would not go away and of course all the doctor offices was closed because it was sunday and i did not want to wait in the emergency room for hours. the monday morning my mother rushed me to my urologist and they quickly did an ultrasound on my abdomen. all he could see was i had a large mass of liquid in that area thinking it was possibly my appendix. my doctor ordered me to be admitted into the hospital immediately. they did several ct-scans and could not understand what was the large mass in my abdomen. a week later after still being in the hospital they discovered it was 6 abscess in my intestants. i had a drain tube stuck through my stomach to my intestants to drain the abscess. after 16 days being in the hospital and the blood test and all other test came back it was final i had crohns disease. for several months prior i had been getting a bad short pain in my abdomen that would make me wanna crawl up and it would only last about a minute then it was go away like nothing ever happened.

anyways i was released for the hospital and 12 days later i was admitted back due to more abdominal pains again in my abdomen. went straight to the emergency room and ct-scan.. what they find? 10 abscess in my intestants. again they put drain tubes but this time i had 2! it was nothing nice walking around with a drain tube and puss bag on each a side. talk about GROSS! well luckily that episode i was only in the hospital for 9 days. again i was out for 7 days. on the 7th day i had a doctors appointment at 3:00pm and by 11:30am i was having extremely bad abdominal pains AGAIN! so i wait it out til my appointment. my gasterologist admits me straight to the hospital, thankfully it was next door the the doctor. by this time all the nurses on the 5th floor of the hospital knew me well from the days before i was in there. after this ct-scan i had 16 abscess. finally my doctor says the drain tubes are not working. so he decides to do a fishula surgery on me. a fishula is when they cut you straight to your intestants and leave it open for the puss to drain out. i had a colostomy bad for about 5 weeks while it kept draining, and i mean the absolute WORST spell and sight i have ever seen. and i like gross things lol. im the type of girl who likes to pop pimples to watch the puss fly out. nasty i know but it doesn't bother me. well after the surgery 15 days had passed by. now by this time it had been exactly 40 days i, a perfectly healthy 21 year old girl was in the hospital.

i was out of work for a little over 4 months until i finally convinced my doctor to release me. of course i shouldn't have because i was always having to leave thankfully i only work 3 days a week but it was still too much being so early in being diagnosed. i was always having problems.

in june 2011 my fishula finally closed because it had to heal from the inside out. that was the aboslute worst thing ever to constantly have to worry about the pouch on your stomach that might leak out on your clothes or you accidently forgot more gause to patch it back up for hopefully a few more hours.

still a year and 9 months later i am still having bad flare-ups with my crohns. i have had to change my whole diet. at first i had lost about 35 pounds but i was on strong steroids the last 5 months and unfortuntly ive gained it all back but ive gotten healthier since. i am not having flare ups as ofter but they still show up unannounced. being diagnosed with this disease has been an absolute night mare. i wish you all luck and hopefully you dont have as bad as an expirence as i am.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there :bigwave: yes you have had the severity of Crohns for sure! Fistulas are hard to control, abscesses are dangerous too because if the burst the perintonitis gets in your blood stream. The lower right intestines are usually classic signs of CD. You never mention any medications. The only one (from being on the forum) that works for Fistulas is Remicade. Glad you found your way here, keep us posted and let us know where are from and the meds you are on. :hang:

Hi SRD! I'm new here, too. Your experience sounds very painful and scary. I recently had a fistula form from a surgery site and cause an abscess. I had two abscesses and two drains and one was out of my hip and one out of my lower right side. I hated taking care of them. It completely grossed me out, but I did it. I was lucky, however, and the IV antibiotics and drains worked. I am so sorry you had to have that surgery. Again, that must have been super frightening!! I am glad you are better now. Crohn's certainly does suck. :(

Jessi

Hello and welcome to the family.
I'm so sorry about these nasty spells that you go through.
I agree with Pen about the Remicade.
Whenever people mention fistulas, I automatically think of Remicade.
You mentioned that you're on heavy steroids?
How many mgs are you taking?
Does it help?
I sure hope you feel really well for a long time, and that Crohn's doesn't show up to crash the party. :hug:

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome :)

Wow, you've been through so much, you poor thing :(

I'm curious like the others, what meds are you on currently?

I wish you well!

SRD

hey again everyone! sorry it took me so long to write back i have been so busy with work... but i at the moment i am only on remicade ( every 8 weeks) , 6-mp & nexium... i just recently got off of the medrol steroids & cipero.... i have been doing better but still having small flair ups once every probably 2 weeks... seems like when i work too much it reflects on my body :( ..... but i really appreicate all of the advice you all have given me. i feel so alone with this disease because no one else knows what i really am going through and how emotional it is. that is why i came to this forum so that i could get the therapy i needed.. i am still trying to figure out how to work the website. i hope you all keep in touch & feel better with the crohns!