• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and pregnancy

hey everyone :O)

well here goes :p just a few questions about pregnancy, and how it might effect crohn's ... Ill be 26 in January, my fiance and I have been together for just over 11 years, and well i would love to have a baby and so would he :) but I am Afraid of what comes along with Crohn's an being pregnant ..will i be really sick? will it drain my energy more than it does now ? ugh helpp we are both in a good place now. i feel like I am Ready for a child .. but would my body be ?
anyway thanks for Reading
Any advice would help!

DanielleDx

Hi danielleD

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have children, and have never had to deal with the issues that come up, but I would suggest heading over to the "Parents with IBD section of the forum (it's a subforum in the General IBD Discussion) and posting your questions there. There's a ton of folks with lots of experience who might be able to respond to some of your concerns.

How are you feeling right now? Are you taking any meds? You mentioned you have low energy: are your iron and vitamin B12 levels okay?

Looking forward to seeing you around,

Kismet

i never have energy... but ill check with my doctor .. and get some blood to check on thing .. thanks for the msged back :O)
take care :) Danielle D

most pregnant crohnies i have spoke to have had crohn's symptom free pregnancies, which is encouraging, quite often a woman with crohn's will have remission during her pregnancy (providing she is in remission when she falls pregnant) and quite often symptoms can return once the baby is born.
obviously everyone is different but i have heard the same story from several different websites.
i too would love a baby next year....good luck!!!!!! :)

I have heard that too :) I would to have a baby. Year year coming ! I'm just so scared !! Thanks so much :) take care and good luck to you as well :0)

hawkeye

Staff member
Our local CCFC chapter had a seminar this week and one of the topics was IBD and pregnancy - they gave a good overview of drug effects and precautions and recommended that you should discuss with your GI to "map out" a strategy based on your disease history and treatment. They were big on a team approach with the family doctor, GI and OB.

I have had 4 beautiful babies with Ulcerative Colitis and have not had any troubles with any of them. Had them all naturally and stress of labour did not bring on a flare. I loved being pg. Breastfed them on some medication. I did lots of research and was told by obstetricians, midwives etc the meds would not do anything to harm bubs.

What medication do you think you may be on?

My UC seemed to lie dormant whilst pg so that was a plus :) Here's hoping it will for you too.

Just get your vitamin levels checked, check you folate (and make sure you take extra to conceive), zinc levels (as that helps with fertility) and iron for your strength.

Good luck :)

Thanks :) 4 babies :0) that is great !!! Im only on one med right now .. It is remicade ... I'm not sure what will happen with that ! But I really would love to have a baby .. Thanks for the respond .. :) take care

Last edited:
Hi Danielle! I'm currently pregnant and on Remicade. So far my pg has seemed a lot easier than the other ladies on my mother's group. No ms at least! As a first time preggers, I will say it was difficult emotionally at first to deal with the exhaustion. I don't know why it made a difference, but not knowing whether I was exhausted due to the pregnancy or due to a relapse was really frustrating to me. Anyway, good luck!!

that is great to here thanks so much :) ... So can i Stay on Remicade if i Were to Get Pregnant ?? i was worry that it might some effect on the baby ...but i really do want to have a baby .. and soon hehe ... well thanks Again :) and Congrats to you :p
Take Care
DAnielleD

My Crohns symptoms started when I was expecting my 3rd. I wasn't diagnosed then, so I chalked it up to the fact that my baby was a 9 pounder and I was carrying so large that at the end I wasn't able to walk...even with a maternity belt holding up my belly I was mobile only because of my husbands office chair! Anyway a person spends a decent amount of time in the bathroom during pregnancy, so I didn't find it too debilitating. Pregnancy is a beautiful and wonderful experience, and I really hope that things work out for you!

You can 100% stay on Remicade. Most of the research I read said Remicade doesn't cross the placenta until the beginning of the 3rd trimester anyway. I decided to get my last infusion at the end of my 2nd trimester, but a lot of other women I read about got infusions all the way to the end. I'll get my next infusion as soon as possible after our boy gets here in February.

When you decide it's time, I'm sure you'll do great!