Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » On the waiting list!

11-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
robbo87

My Support Groups:
On the waiting list!

Just been to see my surgeon this morning and he's told me that he's going to put me on the waiting list for my reversal in the hope that it can be done in the summer, so things will have had a year to settle down. I will need some form of "look up there" as he fittingly put it, either in the form of an enema or a colonoscopy and ill see him again in 3 months. He also told me that It can't be done by keyhole which i was hoping for. Kind of a surreal feeling to be honest. Part of me is looking forward to getting back to how I was, although part of me is happy as things are and not wanting to go through surgery again!... I'm never happy!...
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
11-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
It must be a tough decision! I don't blame you not wanting to go through surgery again. I'm lucky (sort of) that I don't have a choice and I'm stuck with Oscar. Good luck with whatever you decide to do Martin

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

11-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Martin, good news that they are looking at a reversal for you! I wonder why they wont do keyhole? Is it because he isnt good at it? Any chance of speaking to another surgeon about that?
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
11-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
robbo87

My Support Groups:
Martin, good news that they are looking at a reversal for you! I wonder why they wont do keyhole? Is it because he isnt good at it? Any chance of speaking to another surgeon about that?
From what I've been told he is one of the best surgeons in the country so I don't think that's the issue. He said that when my bowel is joined, because of all the inflammation that is in the right side of my abdomen he wants the join to be away from that area incase of any trouble again which probably cant be done under keyhole. , and im guessing having a loop end ileostomy makes it harder to do aswell. Hopefully my scar can atleast heal slightly better this time.
11-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Makes sense then! Fingers and toes are crossed. It sounds far away, but I bet time will fly by.

I'm hoping to get on the waiting list for summer time as well Martin. We can moan at each other maybe!?
11-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I don't blame you for the mixed feelings, I would be the same! Good luck and all the best mate.

Shame they can't give solid date though.

Dusty. xxx
11-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Yay, ya wanna have it done but...more surgery?? It will be best in the long run
11-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
ameslouise

Congrats, Martin! And having the mixed feelings is totally normal, I think. When I had my temp back in 2002, I was feeling so good, I felt weird about more surgery and the unknown of getting a j-pouch (at the time I was UC).

Take it one step at a time. And if open surgery is what's needed instead of lapro, best to do it safest and correctly!

The waiting is the hardest part! - Amy
11-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Kris

Congrats! Please keep us informed about the surgery and what your surgeon tells you to expect afterwards. Recovery ect. I'll be facing the same surgery eventually and would love to know what to expect.

Crohn's Diagnosis: 1996 at age 19.

Current Diagnosis: Unknown. Might be Colitis as of March 2011.

Past Medications: Prednisone, Asacol, Pentasa, Canasa, Entocort, 6mp, Humira, Cimzia, Flagyl, and Cipro.

Current Medication: 6mp

Surgeries: Total removal of colon (rectum was saved) with temporary ileostomy in Feb. 2011.

I'm sorry, but I can't be a ray of freakin sunshine every day of the week!
11-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
glum chump

My Support Groups:
Wow, Martin. It seems like you were just hitting your stride with the bag and all, and here you are, getting yourself all psyched up for a reversal. Yep, makes sense that you have a tad bit of trepidation thinking about it...surgery is never fun, and I know you had a rough go of it. One step at a time.

But remember: "once you go bag, you never go back." I'm sure you'll still be a force on the Stoma subforum!

Kismet
11-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
bigtruck

Had my temp loop ileostomy for 12 weeks now, been in and out of hospital for magnesium infusions ever since as I have a high stoma output. Been in for two weeks this stay and have just been told that my surgeon is hoping to squeeze me into his operating schedule for thurs for reversal, if not it'll be next thurs!!! Getting too close to Christmas for comfort.
11-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Had my temp loop ileostomy for 12 weeks now, been in and out of hospital for magnesium infusions ever since as I have a high stoma output. Been in for two weeks this stay and have just been told that my surgeon is hoping to squeeze me into his operating schedule for thurs for reversal, if not it'll be next thurs!!! Getting too close to Christmas for comfort.
Wow! That was fast!
11-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
bigtruck

Not much choice the magnesium won't stay in. Got a dye test on the anastamosis 2 weeks ago and apparently it looks fine no leaks etc. So all I can do now is hope he can fit me in on thurs. For the past 2 weeks I have been getting high dose vitamin d as there is supposed to be a link to helping the gut retain magnesium but obviously not in my case.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » On the waiting list!