• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you know it's Crohn's and not a 'normal' diarrea?

how do you know it's Crohn's and not a 'normal' diarrea?

Hey there,

I've been diagnosed with Crohn's about 10 years ago. So far I've always thought that any diarrea I got (since then), was actually a flareup of Crohn's. Is that so? Or is it also possible to get a 'normal' diarrea?
Five weeks ago I took Ibuprofen on a doctor's advice to get over a heavy flu. Bad idea as I got a terrible runny stomach for the next three weeks (took the medicine only for two days, then realized my mistake).
After that fit I was fine for exactly one week and now I'm again stuck with a terrible runny stomach, but this time including bad cramps. Why I got this second fit, I don't know, but I assume it has to do with having eaten something unhealthy/ dirty (living in Islamabad, there is a fair chance that this was the case).
However, now I'm pretty much at a loss at what to do. Cannot see those endless boiled potatos and carrots or rice and egg anymore and want to get rid of those cramps.
Since getting to a competent doc here is fairly difficult, I'm wondering whether I should just start by myself again with a treatment of 4mg Mezalazine per day, which I used to take during earlier fits.
OR is again a 'normal' diarrea which will cure itself within the next two weeks?

If you guys could give me some good advice, I would be more than thankful!

xx GeeGee

Hi, my thoughts would be that to start taking mezalazine will not worsen your
condition if it turns out be something other that an IBD flare, ie if your symptoms are as result of gastroenteritis. However, if it is a flare then this should hopefully help, although you may need stronger drugs such as steroids depending on how bad you are.

Weeks of having diarrhea, could leave you very dehydrated and quite unwell.

I would take your pills and get to see a Doctor as soon as you can.

My personal thoughts only.

Hope you get better soon.

cheers

G

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi GeeGee and welcome. Having D here and there doesn't always have to cause alarm, however, if it is not common for you, then it could be. But having D for several weeks is not normal. I hope you can get in to see a GI soon. Hang in there.

KWalker

Welcome! I just learned recently Ibuprofen is a big no no for people with crohns and can really make a negative effect on your stomach