• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nervous

nervous

Hello all I am new to this site. I was just looking for some opinions and or advice as I am struggling with my Crohns. I was Diagnosed in Feb or 09 and started on Pentasa and Prendisone for about 3 months. Then went to Remicade and everything was fine up till about this past August. Since then I developed an "absess"? not sure on spelling and now they say it is being feb by a "fiscula"? again the spelling. but anyhow I have been in the hospital now for about a week and they want to open me up and take some colon out. Being this is my first real bad complication with CD ide appreciate some opinions or related stories or anythingb/c im scared to death b/c everything is happening so fast and it is so much thanks to anybody who can help.

HI,

First of all, its going to be ok...
I have crohns too, honestly have not had to have surgery,but I can understand how worriesome it can be..

I think that If I was you I would ask for a second opinion ..Then decide whats best for you....
If you need surgery, there are plenty of amazing srong people on this forum that can share their support and expertism to you.

nat

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Crath, so sorry you are going through this hell. I had surgery twice and the first time was laproscopically done, faster healing and very small scar. You said colon , do you know where exactly? The intestines is were most people with crohns that have surgery. Large bowel , from what I know not sure if they can just take out part, but I am not experienced there.

They must be seeing some pretty bad areas that need to be repaired. Tell us a bit more, it really isnt that bad. :hang:

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear you're having complications and in the hospital facing the potential of surgery. You poor thing :(

The spellings in case you want to do further research are fistula and abscess and we have a forum dedicated to them in case you haven't seen it yet.

Please keep us updated as to your progress. We're here for you!

Suvii

An old fart from North!
Welcome! Sorry to hear you're struggling with all kinds of problems and feelings.. :frown:

In case you're going to have surgery, it's because it's needed. Doctors sure don't open people up and take their bowel if that isn't necessery.

I don't have fistulas or abscesses, but I've got 3 obstructions and going to have surgery. It's terrifying! But I'm trying to think this in a good way, my pains will be gone after it and my quality of life will be better afterwards.

Hoping you get lots of support from your nurses and be sure to ask and ask and ask questions - they're there to help you!

Hang in there! Everything is going to be ok I'm sure!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi crath and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you are having...:hug:

Where is your Crohn's located?
If it is in the ileum (small bowel) then research does seem to indicate that fistula's located there rarely close without surgery. Plus once you develop an abscess Remicade is usually contra indicated.

Both of my children have had small bowel resections for the very reasons you are, fistula and abscess. One was emergency and one was planned but they have both come through with flying colours and are in remission.

Although I don't have CD myself I have had those same feelings of paralysing fear and the feeling of things going too fast, I know it is hard for you to believe right now but everything will be okay, it really will.

Good luck and any questions just ask away!

Dusty. xxx

I'm so sorry everything is happening so quickly for you and overwhelming you. In my case I was in pain for months before they suggested surgery. But I am really glad I did it and I have felt a million times better since then. I also had an abscess and it was not able to be healed with medication. It was a bit of a catch-22. The out of control inflammation was what had caused the infection, but the drugs used to treat that would dampen my immune system, making it harder to kill the infection. They put me on some pretty heavy antibiotics, but it just wasn't able to do the trick.

I hope whatever you and your team decide to do it will work well and have you feeling better. I'll be thinking about you and sending good healing thoughts your direction.

Thank you all soo much it means alot to know your not alone. I was on remicade and everything was going great for a couple of years then the past 3 months or so I just started to have really bad pains. It was my fault though I tried my best to just keepon going and ignore them because I was working out of town and was just trying to support my 2 kids and g/f. But neways they want to take out the right side of my colon were the fistula is then reconnect it to the small int. just waiting for blood test to come back for proteins and hopfully we can get this moving so i can be home for christmas. does anybodyknow of any agencies or any ways to get help with finances? I was the only provider in my house. I was hoping for like short term disability or somthing b/c im only on unpaid medical leave. Horrible timing right before xmas and what not ahhh then they tell you not to stress lol....Thanks to all im so excited to have ppl to talk to bout all this b/c everyone I know doesnt have a clue about CD or anything we go through... Hope all is well to everyone!

Suvii

An old fart from North!
I hope you'll be able to go home by xmas and spend it with your family!

The finance issues suck and I don't know how things work in where you live, but I'm sure you can get some help somewhere. Ask family and friends, I'm sure people are ready to help you when you guys need it!

Stay strong and try to take things as they are - if you can't do something about it, it's not worth worrying for. It's hard but if it helps even a bit..

Will be thinking about you! Good luck!