• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns really sucks... Like you all don't already know!!!

Hi you all! I'm glad to be here! Im a 52 year old woman. I was diagnosed with Crohns about 8 years ago. Had bad flares. The big D about 20 times a day. Was hospitalized a while. Got a fissure, very bad. Retal/Vag fistula. Worst thing Ever. I went on the SCD diet I did well for two years. Fistula healed! After that had a terrible flare, two more fistula. Tried immune suppressants, I couldn't take them. Took other medications. Asacol gave me worse D. Entocort and primal defense probiotic were keeping the D away for three years! It came back gradually. Had fistula repair surgery 2 years ago. Wasnt a good idea, three fistulas came afterward.I started on a new medication called LDN ( low dose naltrexone) last spring. I'm doing pretty good on it. No D but fistulas aren't healing and I got an anal abscess last week. I am tired of these fistulas. I'm thinking of having a colostomy, maybe temporary to let this all heal.. I can't take the horror/ pain of what I deal with much longer. But, would it even help? It cured my sister who also had Severe Crohns. I'm hoping to make some new friends on this group and I hope I can maybe offer something to someone else who needs help. The greatest thing we can do is be there to support each other. No one else knows what we go through. Hugs. Bree

Angrybird

Hi Bree and welcome to the forum, you will find really helpful and supportive people here. I am really sorry you are having such a bad time of it, I think it says it all that you are even considering a colostomy. I have not had to deal with fistula's or abscesses and feel that I have been quite lucky so far. When are you next due to see you GI doc about discussing your options?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Bree!

I am sorry to read about all the trouble you have had with Crohn's Disease.

I am sure you will make some friends on here as you will quickly see that there are many friendly fellow Crohnnies and IBD sufferers in this community.

You mentioned some success with the SCD. Did you have any change in diet when your symptoms started coming back or did things just slowly start going downhill healthwise with no change in your diet?

Hello Bree, from a soon to be 52 year old woman. I'm glad you found us here, but so sorry to hear about all the fistula problems. Pop over to our subforum when you have time. Lots more fistula fighters over there x

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Bree and welcome! I am glad to hear LDN is helping, but I am sorry you still struggle with fistulas. Have you discussed a temp stoma with your GI? Perhaps giving that area a break would help. However, have you tried Remicade? I have heard it does wonders for fistulas. Members have reported an improvement within days of the first infusion.