• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade?!?!

Hey im new to this forum,

my name is kaitlin im 15 and i have crohn's. i was diagnosed in july 2011 and still dealing with it as of today. Im hoping to soon go on remicade and i was wondering who had it done, and how long it took for it to work? was it effective? would you recommend it?

thank you guys so much!

xox. - Kaitlin

Jessi

Hi Kaitlin. Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having such a long-lasting flare.

I was put on Remicade, but not until prednisone and Asacol HD stopped my flare. Remicade did help my body to heal, and eventually put my disease in remission. It was gradual and I had normal blood test results after my 4th infusion.

Everyone is different though. I hope, if you try it, that Remicade works for you, too. :hug:

Welcome Kait. I'm with Jessi on this one- Remicade is amazing. I had crazy bad Crohn's, lost like 80 pounds, and could barely walk thanks to Prednisone. Being a rather big dude (6'3,215 and an avid body builder) this sucked. I had surgery in May '10, been on Remicade since 8 weeks after that and its been awesome for me. Good luck and feel better!

Hey there welcome to the forums here.

I've been on Remicade a little over a year now and it's done wonders for me. Usually doctors start with lesser drugs and work their way up unless you've got an extreme case like losing the 80 lbs rapidly.

I was on Asacol, Imuran, Budesonide (because I refused Prednisone) and none worked on their own or in any combination of those so the next option up was Remicade. I gained nearly 40 lbs and can eat pretty much anything I'd like now.

It's something to talk over with your parent's though for sure as paying for it isn't always the easier thing. In Canada the cost is around $4000 every two months although my insurance pays for all of it after I pay an initial deductible fee. It also can come with some side effects and it's deffinately a decision you'll be wanting to make with your parents and doctor.

Best of luck and hope you start feeling better soon.

KWalker

Hey Kaitlin! I'm from St. Catharines! I have also been on Remicade before. It takes a little while to get approved sometimes. It made me feel great while I was on it, but unfortunately for me it stopped having an effect for me. There are a lot of people who have great success with Remicade though so hopefully you have the same!

What have you been on in the meantime while you wait for Remicade?

Remicade worked almost instantly for my daughter Sarah when she first went on it, but really powerful side effects forced her to stop after 3 doses and she's STILL feeling the effects a couple of years later.

Remicade is the big guns, best left for when the less powerful medications aren't working.

:)

Hey guys thanks for your replies, and some of u are wondering , i am on prednisone right now (20 mg) and my first dose of remicade is on decmeber 21st!!! :) yes also i have a drug plan that covers so the government pays for it. Thank you all for your replies!!! :) im so excited!

Jessi

Wow! It's coming up fast! I just had my 5th infusion yesterday and I feel great! Good luck! :hug:

KWalker

Congrats! I hope you have the same experience I had when on Remicade. I did mine in a childrens hospital where I was a bunch of other kids doing the same thing and got to play video games while getting the injection. I actually looked forward to it. Then once I turned 18 I got moved to the room where everyone was watching soap operas lol