• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Joining the club !

joining the club !

Hello all, my name is mike, and i have chrons. i was diagnosed a year and a half ago right durring my pre-moblization for my 4th deployment. I however did not know the results untill i was already overseas. durring my previous deployments the MEDICS told me my symptoms were due to the change in the envioroment and the change of the diet and the heat of the middle east. I figured that they were the experts, why go against it. But then one day I hit the biggest hurdle i have ever came across. i finnaly decided it was time to demand the answers no matter what they were. i went to countless doctors( the army ones are not the best but they try) , but I finnally had all the testing that was needed, and i stopped just going with the flow and rocked the boat, then one month into the deployment the results were back and my wife emailed me the news. man talk about a dream crusher. so i went to the medics on base and reported the news to them. they did not take it well. they were so freaked out....kinda funny actully. so i upped my water intake and watched the food i was eating... and finished the deployment... now they want to kick me out of the army..... so after 12 years and a spotless and highly decorated term of service i am on the outs with no idea of what i will do for work and no idea of the type of work i can do with having chrons.. so i figured i would join here and mabeye get some ideas and some insperation and a whole lot of insite.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. It is amazing that you dealt through your symptoms and continued to serve in the army.

I am sorry to hear that your livelihood is now at risk. Is it at all possible to transfer to a position that does not require overseas deployment within the army?

You will see that people with Crohn's Disease and other forms of IBD have the same variety of careers and jobs as any other type of people. A big thread about it can be found in the General IBD Discussion forum on What Career/Job Do you Have?

Hopefully you will get a lot out of being a member of this community and we are happy to have you join us!

Angrybird

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum, you will found that there is lots of help and support available. It really sucks that they're trying to take your career from you, especially as you have shown that you can do it despite having to deal with sometimes debilitating symptoms. I would also ask if you are able to and would be willing to go for a different area of the army? I will keep my fingers crossed that things will get sorted out for you.

I agree with Angrybird - wouldnt the Army be able to accomodate you in some other area? You would think so after all you have done. On a sidenote, my brother moved to the States a couple of years ago. The work he had done overseas was non-existant in the States. He spent a couple of months attending our local junior college, and completed a course in AutoCAD - and now earns over 50k a year. If the Army cant help you, perhaps look through the courses that your local junior colleges offer, and then take a look at how much you could earn in those particular areas. Some of these courses are not very long, and can yield a good income.

David

Co-Founder
Hi mike and welcome!

The folks above have their hearts in the right place but as we both know, Crohn's is a career ender when it comes to the military. Be sure to apply for VA disability and appeal if they deny you the first time. Being a disabled veteran will help you in so many ways down the road. Heck, here in Florida you basically get out of paying property taxes.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but I guess there's a purpose to it. Figure out that purpose and follow your passion. And we're of course here for you any time.

All my best to you.

Jessi

Hi Mike and welcome!

I'm sorry about all the stress you are being thrown into.

As David said, definitely get the VA involved. It sounds like you may be able to try for Service-Connection Disability. Turn in all documentation that you have, but be sure to keep a copy of EVERYTHING. They are notorious for losing things. (Especially the Anthrax vaccine record.) Also enlist the DAV into helping you out. They are great advocates. Don't just appeal once, though. You may need to appeal and appeal and appeal again. My hubby and I fought for a proper VA disability rating for 7 years. Don't give up!!!

And if you haven't already, apply for Medical Discharge. That will definitely help your case. Hang in there and good luck. :hug: