Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group

07-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #271
Daisy123
Honestly I have had no side effects, so I really like it. Cannot say the same about Aziathropine unfortunately
07-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #272
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
No side effects with Pentasa since 2011 when I started it.

I started having frequent obstructions this year, once a month. You can have obstructions without inflammation, I had two cat scans this year that confirm it.

Obstructions are a consequence of your resection but not always associated with a Crohns flareup. The adhesions where your intestines were rejoined are where foods can sometimes get caught and cause an obstruction. My GI also said that the intestines may knot up after a resection. I have to be very observant to what foods may have triggered this and I have established some patterns. Unfortunately no two crohns patients have the same triggers.

Pentasa can't correct this. Two weeks ago they put me on prednisone after a bad episode and it seems to have cleared it up, I have felt much better. Your intestines are a muscle and prednisone weakens your body muscles as a side effect, and this can help free knotted plumbing. High fiber, lots of liquids, and low residue diet also have helped. Again the same liquids don't work for everybody, but best to avoid diuretics like coffee that can dehydrate you (esp the high octane stuff). I discovered that after letting the fiber and liquids work its way through that massaging the area of pain may work loose the obstruction. My GI is a crohns expert and he did encourage those remedies.

If you can't hold down foods or liquids then you may have a severe case that should be addressed ASAP. Good luck.
07-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #273
Jessica Andrew

My Support Groups:
I have not been on any prescribed medications for quite some time. I take strong probiotics and Reliv which is a nutritional supplement. I think it might be time for me to go on something else as I am having problems quite often. I have just heard such horrible things about being on Crohn's medications so I am very nervous. Thanks.
07-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #274
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Jessica. I hope you see your GI doctor on a regular basis. You're at greater risk for crohns complications (they can be serious) than the risk of the crohns meds.

I hope you stay well.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
07-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #275
Daisy123
I seem to have another partial obstruction today. I am trying senna tonight to see if it helps especially as I am using oramorph for the pain, twice daily. I am also drinking apple with ginger juice. Feel fed up but want to avoid hospital at all costs.
07-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #276
Jessica Andrew

My Support Groups:
My Doctor put me on Pentasa and prednisone. I hope I can quit vomiting so I can take them. If I'm not better in a Few days he will admit me to the hospital. Ugh.
07-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #277
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
Don't hesitate to seek medical help. The last time I waited too long, I needed surgery. A stitch in time saves nine.
07-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #278
Kittee

Well, poop.

2weeks ago I had an full blown obstruction in rural bumb duck GA while on vacation.
Emergency hospital visit. They wanted to do surgery, I refused. Came home, saw doc, got on pred etc.

Had my MRE yesterday, haven't heard a peep back yet. So figued it must have been clear.

WRONG.
FML I am in bed now and I feel its blocking up again.
Emailed my doc, but I'll probably be at the hospital again tomorrow.

Since I am not spraying puke atm, just super bloated, full feeling and mild nausea, I will just ride it out at home. Sigh...
07-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #279
Jessica Andrew

My Support Groups:
Sorry that you are having to go through that. I hope you do not have to be admitted again. I just started taking Pentasa and prednisone a week ago. This morning I woke up with a lot of tightness in my chest and occasional sharp pain. It has lasted all day off and on. Does anyone know if this could be a side effect of the medication? I've never had that feeling before.
08-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #280
Daisy123
Feeling low. Rang my IBD nurse a couple of weeks ago as I was away and unable to go to the toilet. No bowel sounds whatsoever. Stopped eating for a couple of days and then I started going again, very watery. Went to GP and bowel sounds were fine but my stomach blew up like a balloon again. Emailed my IBD nurses because they had rung me back but I was unable to take the call. I asked if the strictures on the CT were pockets of gas. IBD nurse read me my CT report which said multiple small strictures in terminal ileum and transverse colon (I am not sure about the later I can't really remember). So back on low residue diet. I asked about laxatives and was told not to take senna. If I had to use something then movicol or laxido but they don't recommend it with strictures. I was also told that if the strictures weren't seen during the sigmoidoscopy it may well because they did to go far enough up. I did say this to the GI I saw last time but he insisted that it was almost a full colonoscopy. Still bloated and struggling between watery diarrhoea and constipation. So fed up and exhausted. I was told that surgery at this stage wasn't recommended, which is fine because I don't ever want another operation, and that it is the management of symptoms. I just want the buggers dilated so I can get some relief from this.
08-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #281
gemling

My Support Groups:
Hello all, now a new member of the club. I was hospitalised three weeks ago because of an intestinal blockage in my small intestines. Now back on the pred and doing EEN alongside it (my choice), but my IBD team don't think that Azathioprine is enough to stop the inflammation coming back and causing structuring in my small intestines, so they have been discussing infliximab (Remicade) or Humira as new treatment options. Not looking forward to it, but also don't want surgery or to go through a blockage again!
Mid-Sept 2014 Another blockage
Oct 2014 Started Infliximab

Current Medications:
Infliximab Infusions (Remicade), Loading doses
Azathioprine (100mg)
Pentasa (4g)
Supplements:
Adcal-D3 (1g)
Ferrous Fumarate (420mg)
Multivitamin
08-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #282
trebor-HI

My Support Groups:
Went to hospital with SBO just last week. It was due to Crohn's and was located in the ileum. The nausea and vomiting resolved but I still haven't moved my bowels. Been 11 days already! Anybody ever experience this?

diagnosed with Crohn's 2012
Apriso, buedesonide, imuran, prednisone, humira and methotrexate.
No surgeries, but hospitalized twice due to small bowel obstruction
08-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #283
Daisy123
Trebor, that seems an awfully long time not to go to the toilet. How long were you in hospital? It sounds like another obstruction to me.
08-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #284
Lam123

I agree, that sounds like a long time. Might be worth getting checked out.
Humira weekly
- multi vitamin and vitamin D
- B12 shots monthly
Mother of one beautiful boy and a puppy! 👪🐶Happily married to an amazing and patient man, that I call my best friend❤️I'm just living life one day at a time and trying to figure out this crazy disease! 🍀🌞⭐️
08-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #285
trebor-HI

My Support Groups:
I was in the hospital four days total, Wednesday morning too Saturday evening. So, as of this writing, I've been out of the hospital seven days but normal bowel movement has not yet returned. Actually, just did an enema that produced first/moderate results. Encouraging, maybe it takes time for normal bowel function after such an ordeal. Has me praying for the first time in years!

My wife took me ER twice on Wednesday and was release both times after IV of dilaudid (aka hospital heroin) & nausea medication. Went to the GI doc Thursday morning in severe pain. He had me admitted into the hospital proper where I got two more doses of dilaudid and nausea medication and a nasogastric tube while "on hold" in ER waiting for a hospital bed to open.

After being admitted into hospital proper Thursday evening I was administered IV cipro, flaygl and prednisone. When I woke up Friday morning the pain and nausea were gone but they wanted to keep me on IV.

If there's any moral to the story it's that I tuned down humira about a year ago. I'm now regretting the decision.
08-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #286
Lam123

Just so I understand, have u had no bowel movement? Or not a proper bowel movement?
08-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #287
trebor-HI

My Support Groups:
Went 11 days with absolutely nothing...then, after I wrote my first note this morning, I finally produced a moderate amount. So, maybe the crisis is coming to a close.
08-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #288
Lam123

Ok, that's good news. I have had a few blockages and I find sticking to things like toast and crackers help. Also, peppermint tea works great.
08-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #289
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Fennel tea helps reduce gas.Fennel tastes like black licorice,which I like.
08-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #290
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
I drink a lot of tea but never heard of that one. Will have to look out for it.
09-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #291
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
Had a minor blockage Saturday. It followed a leftover meal.

The meal had cheese, likely ricotta and mozzarella. No problems eating it in the restaurant, finished the leftovers two days later and had the blockage.

Cheese seems to be the common item with every blockage I have had so far.
09-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #292
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cheese seems to be the common item with every blockage I have had so far.
It is good to know this.If you cut out cheese you can see how you react,or not react.Do you follow a particular diet?
09-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #293
Daisy123
So it continues. After four weeks I still look nine months pregnant. I took Movicol to see it would move things. But nope, made things worse. Went to GP and had bloods to check for inflammation, but no news so presume not. Emailed IBD nurse, email straight back. Phone call, emergency appointment arranged for tomorrow in clinic. Been passing blood on top of everything. Hoping that this will get sorted out. Back at work in two weeks.
09-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #294
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear that Daisy123.
09-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #295
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
It is good to know this.If you cut out cheese you can see how you react,or not react.Do you follow a particular diet?
Not really on a diet, I focus on avoiding foods that trigger a reaction. Just about every reaction followed a meal out, and cheese was the common trend. Restaurants being a slim profit business are notorious for using processed foods, especially cheese.

But if I order a sandwich with swiss or provolone, no reaction. When I shop groceries I stay away from processed cheese (like american or cheez whiz) and avoid transfat and artificial sugars (you would be amazed how many foods contain that crap). With that selection, I have yet to have a reaction with any cheese I buy from any grocery store - deli, block, dairy, shredded. If I make my own meals at home, I have no reaction.

This episode exposed something new. This was leftovers from a meal with no history of trouble before (stromboli, the real stuff not the folded pizza slices). The fresh meal was never any trouble. But after the leftovers were in the fridge for a couple of days, something must had happened to the cheese to bind up and cause a blockage.

You REALLY have to be observant with this disease.
09-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #296
Muppetgirl

Hi, hope it's okay to join you guys. The Real MC, sorry to hear you had a blockage. Daisy123 I know what you mean about the bloatedness. I dread that someone will say that as my fertility was destroyed by this dreadful disease. I hope you get some help at your appointment tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me how likely it is that surgery for obstruction will mean another resection?
09-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #297
fozheart

My Support Groups:
Dave, Is Fennel tea in the regular grocery store, and how does it help with the gas? MMmm... licorice sounds soothing!

Also- anyone else.... you know how regular people really don't understand how complicated things can be for us, and they think there is just one easy answer sometimes? One day on my new job and already, my kind employer hands me a "list" of foods he googled that are "good for when I might have an obstruction." Like as in "here.... just have some yogurt or chicken noodle soup!" And voila.... everything will go back to being great in the blink of any eye! I know that people just try to help us, but they really can't, when they don't even understand the severeness of what that is to us.

Sorry..... just crabby tonight!
09-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #298
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Carol-fennel should be available at any health food store.It comes in tea bags or bulk seed.The aroma is definitely black licorice,the taste,not so much so.It is enjoyable to drink,in my opinion.It helps reduce gas.

Daisy123-I hope all goes well today.Let us know how it goes.

The Real MC-I follow The Specific Carbohydrate Diet.We are all different and it seems to work for me.It is time consuming and you have to be uber vigilant,which can be hard for some.It seems to take more time and $$ to live and eat simply.wtf.

Welcome Muppetgirl-are you asking the likely hood of another obstruction after already having an resection?Or alternative procedures other than resections?
09-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #299
Daisy123
Sob. I think I am stuck with looking pregnant for the rest of my life! Strictures, so far down that I would need double balloon procedure under GA. I would need to get funding, so would take three months. Asked GI to prescribe Fortisip because my GP will only give me complan because it is cheaper. See how it goes, but I want the balloon procedure. But didn't feel could insist at the moment.
09-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #300
Muppetgirl

Daisy123 - I'm sorry to hear that. It's no fun being stuck. I hope that in time you can get the balloon procedure.

Fozheart - Oh yeah, amazing how many people out there are secretly medics...who knew!

Dave13 - Thanks. Yeah I had a resection previously. Currently experiencing obstructive troubles that will not go away. Surgery is on the table. They are optimistic it's adhesions rather than new lesions, so I was hoping I can get away without having to resect which really would not be practical for me. Was wondering how often this is the case when they go in to fix such things? I'd be interested to know alternatives too.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group