Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group

09-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #421
hojinkorea

My Support Groups:
Im not sure. But if you do have to have surgery, you will feel much better after.
the only thing that i'm worried about is the statistic that indicates alot of patients who go through surgery eventually end up having to do another one..
09-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #422
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
the only thing that i'm worried about is the statistic that indicates alot of patients who go through surgery eventually end up having to do another one..
True, but my surgery was 15 years ago. I still think I'll have to have another one someday, but quality of life has been so much better since my first one.
09-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #423
hojinkorea

My Support Groups:
True, but my surgery was 15 years ago. I still think I'll have to have another one someday, but quality of life has been so much better since my first one.
I will definitely keep that in mind.. thanks for your input!
09-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #424
Patch

I'm nearly 2 weeks post surgery now. I think the worst I've got going right now is an infection at my topmost incision site that they had to put me on antibiotics for. I hate taking antibiotics, they mess my head up.
09-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #425
hojinkorea

My Support Groups:
I'm nearly 2 weeks post surgery now. I think the worst I've got going right now is an infection at my topmost incision site that they had to put me on antibiotics for. I hate taking antibiotics, they mess my head up.
I wish you quick recovery! How long did you suffer with obstruction before you went ahead and got surgery?
09-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #426
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I wonder how much inflammation is required to cause scar tissue to form.. I have had the pain-like symptoms since March of this year so I guess it's been 6 months since I have had Crohn's Disease. Do you think that will be enough to cause major scar tissue that requires a surgery?
I am not a doctor, but I have personal involvement with Crohn's. I think you probably had crohn's for sometime before diagnosis. I know I did, and I think most of us have. Symptoms like obstructions don't just happen overnight. I had an obstruction that required surgery. It was the best single thing I have done in my crohn's journey. After surgery I felt immediately better. about nine months post surgery I was put on Humira. (The delay was due to the insurance company!!! - By the time I was put on all the other crohns med and had them fail me I had inflammation back at my surgery site.) Humira with help from Budesonide, have put me in remission for at least 4 years.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
09-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #427
Patch

I wish you quick recovery! How long did you suffer with obstruction before you went ahead and got surgery?
Thanks! I had that stricture slowly developing over several years, but it was only in the past couple years that it got bad enough to require taking action.
09-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #428
hojinkorea

My Support Groups:
Thanks! I had that stricture slowly developing over several years, but it was only in the past couple years that it got bad enough to require taking action.
Did you try doing anything else before you went ahead and got the surgery?
10-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #429
Patch

Did you try doing anything else before you went ahead and got the surgery?
Not really. I'd been on biologics that had kept my Crohn's under control for a while, so it was manageable, but I screwed up by going off them for a while and had a flareup that brought the stricture to the point where surgery was the only real option to deal with it.
12-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #430
Brewtowncronie51

My Support Groups:
I'm just like soutfinch.thank for sharing. They tell me to stay calm and eat soft foods.If I throw up or get a fever Come straight in to the ER.
Crohn's disease - Oct 2015
Multiple large Fibroids- Oct 2015
Remicade - Nov 2015
Overweight - All my life

Have I not commanded you to Strong and courageous Joshua 1:9
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #431
Christi

My Support Groups:
How does anyone know thats its an obstruction
12-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #432
hojinkorea

My Support Groups:
Obstruction usually comes severe intermittent pain that comes and goes.. for me, it was pain + vomiting. Also, you usually won't be able to pass gas or have bowel movement when you have obstruction
12-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #433
Christi

My Support Groups:
Thanks i had very angry intestines yesterday and struggled to have bowl movements yesterday but managed with straining, today still angry intestines cramps that comes and goes but goes all over i feel as if i have to go but i did manage to have bowel movements today. I took a laxative to see if it would help.
12-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #434
Christi

My Support Groups:
Sorry i could not have bowel movements today
12-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #435
peluchde

My Support Groups:
You will know if it's an obstruction. Lots of burping and nausea at first, pain is a very bad cramp where you are bent over the whole time. No gas or bowel movement. Then comes the vomiting. It's really miserable.
01-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #436
SB7

My Support Groups:
I've had numerous strictures requiring a trip to the emergency room. I've learned not to wait like I have in the past. I use to put off going to the hospital because of the long waits, but after passing out a couple of times, once when they couldn't get a pulse on me and waking up on the big table with the bright light and my shirt cut off of me. Unfortunately, when I came to, they gave me morphine which made me throw up violently(found out I was allergic), dilaudid has always been my friend in these circumstances. I believe eating the wrong foods for me, and stress are the two main factors in the onset of these visits. Definitely a bad day when these things occur.
01-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #437
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've had numerous strictures requiring a trip to the emergency room. I've learned not to wait like I have in the past. I use to put off going to the hospital because of the long waits, but after passing out a couple of times, once when they couldn't get a pulse on me and waking up on the big table with the bright light and my shirt cut off of me. Unfortunately, when I came to, they gave me morphine which made me throw up violently(found out I was allergic), dilaudid has always been my friend in these circumstances. I believe eating the wrong foods for me, and stress are the two main factors in the onset of these visits. Definitely a bad day when these things occur.
I hope you are doing well right now,sb7

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
01-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #438
SB7

My Support Groups:
Yes, thanks. I seemed to be doing fairly well right now.

Hope you are doing well.
02-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #439
SB7

My Support Groups:
I was a little stupid yesterday. I ate some rice chips which never have bothered me before, only this time we put some grass fed aged cheddar which has never bothered me, on the chips. Well...I awake at 4 this morning and my abdominal region was in pain. Was able to go the bathroom but the pain has continued. I did some breathing exercises which seemed to help manage the pain but it comes back after a few minutes. Will drink a little warm water to see if it will help. I was a little stressed yesterday concerned about having surgery Wednesday on my lip for squamous cell they found. Hopefully I can relax and calm down this flare soon.

Last edited by SB7; 02-08-2016 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
02-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #440
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Here's a 'should of known better' story. My wife and I went to the movies yesterday(Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)and I had some popcorn,with butter,of course. We shared a root beer,refined sugar for the most part. After the movie we had some local gelato,very good. Unfortunately,with more refined sugar. The movie was in the afternoon and I flared early evening. It lasted several hours,the wonderful pain of an obstruction. If it would of gone much longer I would of gone to the ER. I hadn't had one since last November,which I ended up going to the ER for. A reminder I have to be vigilant.
02-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #441
SB7

My Support Groups:
That's one thing I really miss. Eating popcorn and drinking a Coke at the movies with the wife. Hadn't done that in over 8 years. You could get a free refill of both popcorn and Coke.

Doesn't look like this will ever happen again unless I want to chase it down with a few shots of Dilaudid.

Hope you're doing better.
02-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #442
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Here's a 'should of known better' story. My wife and I went to the movies yesterday(Pride and Prejudice and Zombies)and I had some popcorn,with butter,of course. We shared a root beer,refined sugar for the most part. After the movie we had some local gelato,very good. Unfortunately,with more refined sugar. The movie was in the afternoon and I flared early evening. It lasted several hours,the wonderful pain of an obstruction. If it would of gone much longer I would of gone to the ER. I hadn't had one since last November,which I ended up going to the ER for. A reminder I have to be vigilant.
Oh Dave! Popcorn. Really. At least is was theatre popcorn and not some cheap microwave stuff. (OK, I admit to eating popcorn. I do that, since I have been in remission.)
02-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #443
hcrum87hc

My Support Groups:
I was diagnosed with CD after an ER visit due to an obstruction caused by a stricture in my ileum. After being put on Humira and Imuran, it's mostly been under control, but I went off Imuran for about a year due to my doctor's concerns with side effects, and I began flaring again. I had scheduled a resection with a surgeon for this past December 2, but during a consultation at Duke, I was told that I could go back on the Imuran indefinitely since it was so effective. So, I decided to give it a shot and postpone surgery indefinitely.

I've been on Entocort since November (which controlled the flare) and Imuran since the end of December. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the time it took for Imuran to take effect and began tapering the Entocort way too early. This led to the flare coming back with a vengeance. I've gone back to the full dose of Entocort and upped my Imuran dose from 100mg to 150mg. I'm getting better, but not to where I was before I started tapering the Entocort. I'm afraid this latest inflammation is going to lead to more scar tissue and a resection.

Officially diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in June, 2014 2 weeks before 27th birthday after ER visit due to partial blockage (stricture).

Current Meds:
Humira-40 mg every other week
Imuran-150 mg/day

Surgeries: Ileocecectomy 7/13/16 removed 60cm of small intestines.

Status: All inflamed and strictured intestines removed. All remaining intestines are currently healthy.
04-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #444
Anne cochrane

My Support Groups:
I was wondering how everyone felt about the success of restrictions and because I have to work what the recovery time was like any inputs guys
04-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #445
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was wondering how everyone felt about the success of restrictions and because I have to work what the recovery time was like any inputs guys
What type of medicines are you on? Maybe you need something stronger?

04-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #446
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry. Were you talking sb

04-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #447
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry . What kind of restrictions are you on,?

04-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #448
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
Anne-Did you mean resection? If so I had 22cm(almost 9in) of my colon at the splenic flexure resected Feb 16th(with temporary ileostomy). I was in the hospital for 10 days(they said it would only be 5-7 days but I had distension and nausea) When I got home i started getting better much quicker than in the hospital. I walked everyday and ate high protein meals to help with healing. The week after the hospital i didn't work. The 3rd week I worked form home on the computer. The 4th week I was back in the field but took it slow(I'm in sales). 5th week I started traveling again. I'm feeling sooooo much better than i did before the surgery. I was getting horrible obstructions that made it almost impossible to do anything. I have my ileostomy reversal May 6th. Everyone's surgery goes different and recovery time can be drastically different. Mine was laproscopic which helped. Also, your time getting back to work will also differ on what type of job you have/how physically demanding it is. The not lifting more than 10lbs for 6 weeks was rough. I am now exercising, jogging, even back to the rock climbing gym(the harness is awkward with the ostomy).
04-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #449
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I went in the hospital at the end of may because of pancreatitis. I had the resection April six and was released April 22. It was June before I could go back to work. About lifting I tried to take some trash out too early and it ended up all in the road.

04-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #450
Anne cochrane

My Support Groups:
Oh no I'm not on any meds was never offered any but I run my own business I can't take that much time off ill be speaking to surgeon in may

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group