Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group

04-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #451
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Do you have anyone that can help?

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
04-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #452
Anne cochrane

My Support Groups:
Do you have anyone that can help?
No I tend to deal with this myself I'm trying to get all the information I can before I go down the surgery route it just doesn't seem that successful
04-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #453
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sending support

04-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #454
Anne cochrane

My Support Groups:
Sending support
Thank you ill let you know how I get on when I meet with surgeon in may don't feel good tonight hope things are ok don't fancy another episode
04-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #455
SCCrohnie

My Support Groups:
After a couple of years on Cimzia and still being hospitalized for obstructions and a perforation, I'm finally going to have a resection near my terminal ileum next month.

I'm excited because I'm just sick of being sick. Living off oatmeal for months at a time has worn thin.

04-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #456
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
After a couple of years on Cimzia and still being hospitalized for obstructions and a perforation, I'm finally going to have a resection near my terminal ileum next month.

I'm excited because I'm just sick of being sick. Living off oatmeal for months at a time has worn thin.
Hoping the best for you

04-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #457
SCCrohnie

My Support Groups:
Hoping the best for you

Thanks!!
04-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #458
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Welcome

05-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #459
SCCrohnie

My Support Groups:
I had my surgery a little over a week ago and while the recovery has been more difficult than I thought, I've been able to eat anything without distention or pain. Sadly my appetite isn't there yet to take full advantage of this.

05-12-2016, 07:14 AM   #460
Grant

My Support Groups:
Hi SCCrohnie, my take on lack of appetite after surgery is its the bodies way of saying take it easy. After every surgery I've always had little or no appetite sometimes for upto 2 or 3 weeks afterwards & then one day I get up & the hunger is there. Given time it will return. Get well soon.
Rgds
Grant
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection
2012 Laproscopic Laperotomy & Resection
2013 diagnosed with a Fistula
Been on Azathioprine Pred & Methotrexate
Currently on:
Inflectra
Questran
Loperamide
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
Daily Multi Vitamins
3mthly B12 Jabs
05-13-2016, 05:02 AM   #461
SCCrohnie

My Support Groups:
Hi SCCrohnie, my take on lack of appetite after surgery is its the bodies way of saying take it easy. After every surgery I've always had little or no appetite sometimes for upto 2 or 3 weeks afterwards & then one day I get up & the hunger is there. Given time it will return. Get well soon.

Rgds

Grant

Thanks for the tip Grant. I finally got hungry yesterday a little over a week after the surgery. But I'm not stuffing myself yet.
05-13-2016, 05:32 AM   #462
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the tip Grant. I finally got hungry yesterday a little over a week after the surgery. But I'm not stuffing myself yet.
I remember shortly after getting home after my resection. I asked for seconds. It was too soon.
05-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #463
SCCrohnie

My Support Groups:
I remember shortly after getting home after my resection. I asked for seconds. It was too soon.

That doesn't sound like it was a pleasant experience.
05-13-2016, 05:43 AM   #464
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No. It wasn't.

05-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #465
Eridon2002

My Support Groups:
It took about 2 weeks for me to get an appetite after 22cm of my colon was removed. I had lost a ton of weight pre and post op so when I got my appetite back I was eating about 3000-5000 calories to gain it back. Listen to your body, it will know when it's ready to handle to food. Until then, just try to make sure what you do eat is good quality, high protein(needed to repair) foods.
06-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #466
janey27

My Support Groups:
[QUOTE=Sailorluna;383991]I had pain and vomiting episodes (maybe they were partial obstructions and I did not know) on a fairly regular basis during the 6 months leading up to the obstruction that resulted in my resection and diagnosis. During that time I had been assured that it was how my IBS "presented" what a crock.

same thing happened to me..was sick off and on for over two years and the docs refused to take tests, saying I had IBS. Many times I .was told that since I was overweight at the time then I couldn't have anything more serious. It wasn't til I had my first Bowel obstruction that the surgeon on call diagnosed me with Crohn's dsease...In the past 20 yrs I have had about 2 dozen obstructions....some partial and some total
06-10-2016, 02:45 AM   #467
crohnattak

My Support Groups:
I feel swelling, pain before evacuating, occlusion?
06-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #468
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I feel swelling, pain before evacuating, occlusion?
Call your doctor.

06-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #469
darubo

My Support Groups:
Hello,
I had a partial bowel obstruction May 4 of this year and had to go to the ER; was admitted for 4 days to the hospital. Had an NG tube for a couple of days.
I had been feeling better until a week or so ago, and I'm having a constant feeling of sharp gas pains; like I need to pass gas and can't or poop and can't. I have passed gas and pooped, but it hasn't relieved the pain.
I've never had pain be constant like this when I've had obstructions, and I've had several partial obstructions.
Can this be the partial obstruction flaring up again? Usually it's off and on colicky pain with vomiting, and I haven't vomited with this constant pain.
When I take my oxycodone which is prescribed for back pain, it lessens the feeling of pain in my abdomen, but it doesn't go away.
Any comments or suggestions as to what I can do to make the pain go away are greatly appreciated.
I tried to get an appointment with my gastroenterologist and she doesn't take my current insurance. I've got to try to find a different doctor. I live in Lufkin, TX, and there are 2 gastroenterologists in town (previous dr in Houston where I used to live).

Thank you,

Dana B.
really hurting and don't know what to do
06-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #470
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Is there another gastroenterologist in a nearby city? Maybe your should go to the ER, darubo. Let us know how you are.

06-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #471
darubo

My Support Groups:
Houston is about the closest city with a lot of gastroenterologists, and I have a call in to a Dr DuPont whose name was given to me by my old doctor's nurse (old dr who doesn't take my insurance anymore). I actually called his office Wed, Thu & Fri last week but got vm of the "new patient coordinator". Of course he did call me on Thursday when I couldn't get to my phone before it went to vm. I called right back but got his vm again...I called first thing Fri morning, got vm; then called again Fri afternoon and got vm again...no return call...guess I'll try again tomorrow.

My old doctor's nurse told me neither she nor Methodist Hospital who she's affiliated with, take ANY insurance that's from the Marketplace, which is the only insurance I could get. I thought doctors couldn't refuse the Marketplace insurances (Obamacare)? Guess they can...

I will post again after I talk to Dr DuPont's new patient coordinator -- I hope I can get an appointment soon...will have to drive 2 1/2 hours each way, but willing to do that for relief from this pain...

Thank you for your reply,

Dana
06-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #472
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Welcome

06-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #473
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Houston is about the closest city with a lot of gastroenterologists, and I have a call in to a Dr DuPont whose name was given to me by my old doctor's nurse (old dr who doesn't take my insurance anymore). I actually called his office Wed, Thu & Fri last week but got vm of the "new patient coordinator". Of course he did call me on Thursday when I couldn't get to my phone before it went to vm. I called right back but got his vm again...I called first thing Fri morning, got vm; then called again Fri afternoon and got vm again...no return call...guess I'll try again tomorrow.

My old doctor's nurse told me neither she nor Methodist Hospital who she's affiliated with, take ANY insurance that's from the Marketplace, which is the only insurance I could get. I thought doctors couldn't refuse the Marketplace insurances (Obamacare)? Guess they can...

I will post again after I talk to Dr DuPont's new patient coordinator -- I hope I can get an appointment soon...will have to drive 2 1/2 hours each way, but willing to do that for relief from this pain...

Thank you for your reply,

Dana
If the voicemail game is still being done, I would probably go into an ER that takes your insurance. No reason to go through life with the pain of an obstruction. Been there, done that.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
06-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #474
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
If the voicemail game is still being done, I would probably go into an ER that takes your insurance. No reason to go through life with the pain of an obstruction. Been there, done that.
Agree

06-19-2016, 02:41 AM   #475
darubo

My Support Groups:
Update from darubo --
Dr DuPont wasn't in my insurance network, so I couldn't see him. So I called Baylor, which is where I was diagnosed and neither of the doctors I have seen there had any appointments available for over 2 months; were all booked up. They offered an appointment with the Physician's Assistant on June 17 and I took it.
She (the PA) told me she suspects I have another stricture because of the constant pain and bloated feeling I'm having. She wants me to have a CT enterography and an EGD and colonoscopy.
All of these tests were done a few years ago when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me when I kept having attacks of severe abdominal pain and vomiting. Each test result was "normal"; the CT didn't show the stricture that I had which was finally found by me swallowing a camera capsule; the colonoscopy and EGD were "normal".
While I felt grateful the tests were normal, I was so frustrated that they couldn't find what was causing the pain attacks and I'm afraid if I do have a stricture again, the tests are not going to show it because they didn't show it before.
Finally the camera capsule showed pictures in my terminal ileum of ulcers and a stricture. The camera got stuck, which the doctor told me would probably happen, and in Oct 2012 I had a bowel resection and the stricture was removed.
I understand that the tests have to be done, but I am dreading trying to drink the prep -- it makes me vomit, and even just thinking about having to drink it makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get it down so they can do the tests. Any advice or suggestions?
And the PA said that if it is another stricture that of course I'd have to have surgery to remove it and that she would definitely recommend that I start being treated with a biologic once I'm healed from the surgery. I had healing complications with the last surgery and had to have a wound vac, so I'm afraid of that happening again, not to mention trying to figure out which one of my sisters can be with me during the surgery and recovery, and I don't live in Houston any more; I did in 2012 when I had the bowel resection, but now I live a 2 1/2 hour drive from Baylor in Houston and the hospital where the surgery would be done. My sisters both work full time and I hate disrupting their lives and being a burden to them...
I've been taking Entocort 9 mg a day since the 2012 stricture surgery, and having to be on a biologic scares me. PA said that I should probably have already been on one since my body seems to want to make strictures...
So any information, suggestions, advice etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dana B.
East Texas
06-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #476
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Hi Dana.

Just so you know, the colonoscopy preps have got better since 2012. They still are not anything the normal person would enjoy drinking, but better than the old prep in used a few years ago. Hopefully the colonoscopy and the other tests will find what is going on.

I had a surgery in Oct. 2010 where they removed 3.5 feet of small intestine and colon. After the surgery I was put on Humira. It has put and kept me in remission for 5 years this month. I have never had a side effect from Humira and I find taking it is easy to do. I know the list of side effects for biologics is scary, but I came to realize that Humira might double the chance of cancer, but the chance of getting a cancer is 3 out of 100,000 people. The biologic doubles the chance (6 out of 100,000). That is still a 99,994 out of 100,000 chance of NOT getting the cancer. So it is a matter of perspective. And I had a 100% chance of Crohn's Disease, which needed to be put under control. So I went for the biologic. And I am very glad I did. Don't let the biologic scare you.
06-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #477
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Dana.

Just so you know, the colonoscopy preps have got better since 2012. They still are not anything the normal person would enjoy drinking, but better than the old prep in used a few years ago. Hopefully the colonoscopy and the other tests will find what is going on.

I had a surgery in Oct. 2010 where they removed 3.5 feet of small intestine and colon. After the surgery I was put on Humira. It has put and kept me in remission for 5 years this month. I have never had a side effect from Humira and I find taking it is easy to do. I know the list of side effects for biologics is scary, but I came to realize that Humira might double the chance of cancer, but the chance of getting a cancer is 3 out of 100,000 people. The biologic doubles the chance (6 out of 100,000). That is still a 99,994 out of 100,000 chance of NOT getting the cancer. So it is a matter of perspective. And I had a 100% chance of Crohn's Disease, which needed to be put under control. So I went for the biologic. And I am very glad I did. Don't let the biologic scare you.
Agree

09-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #478
eleanor_rigby

My Support Groups:
How awesome would this be?!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/discovery-o...atment-1579380

2nd Generation affected

Symptoms since 2006 (age 17)

Emergency open bowel resection after perforation in 2011 (age 22) (wrongly diagnosed as burst appendix ). Three years remission following this unmonitored

DX with perforating small bowel Crohn's Disease 01/2016 (terminal ileum, duodenum) and coeliac disease (age 26)

Meds:
75mg azathioprine
Gluten-free diet
09-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #479
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes

09-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #480
SteffieB

My Support Groups:
I have had many bowel obstructions. The first symptoms are pain and not passing any stool. Then, I usually vomit very forcefully and I don't feel relief after vomiting. At that point, I know that I have to go to the hospital ASAP.

For my serious bowel obstructions, I had an NG tube put down my nose for a few days, and the obstruction passed on its own. I haven't had a perforated bowel, but I know that if I keep getting obstructions, it could happen.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group