Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group

12-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #31
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had pain and vomiting episodes (maybe they were partial obstructions and I did not know) on a fairly regular basis during the 6 months leading up to the obstruction that resulted in my resection and diagnosis. During that time I had been assured that it was how my IBS "presented" what a crock.

Toward the end i had a couple weekends where I would puke over, and over and over for the entire weekend. I would vomit brown liquid that smelled a lot like what little was coming out the other end. Told the docs that and they just nodded gave me more zofran and sent me home. When I finally ended up in the ER and mentioned the color and smell to the ER docs, they immediately suspected it was a blockage. I guess it was the stuff that could not get through the blockage coming back out the only way it can.

Just one more symptom for the list.

The other thing that is important to note is the power of denial. It is easy to talk yourself into believing it is not a big deal or that you are over reacting or imagining things.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
12-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #32
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
SailorLuna, was it your GI doctor who would send you home with Zofran?! That's awful! I had an obstruction at the site of my last surgery and the surgeons kept telling me to eat and eat and it was awful. I had a similar experience throwing up what was essentially feces. I used to use a certain type of toothpaste and I can't use that toothpaste anymore because I would use it to clean my teeth at the hospital over and over again. They didn't believe that I had a problem until I said that I could not eat and they couldn't make me (I had to act like a baby in order to get a CT scan that said my surgery site was swollen shut and that I had an abscess.) I then begged for an NG tube, and when they saw what was coming out of it, one doc said, "Hey, you weren't kidding." And this was with an IBD surgeon, not a general surgeon. I hate doctors.

If you're on Facebook, please join me for daily silliness, inspiration, and IBD in the news at http://www.facebook.com/TheCrohnsDiaries.

"Cats: Because sometimes they really help you."
12-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #33
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
I had a blockage that snuck up on me (I should have known better, I wasn't a newbie). It started out as just more pain in my stomach. Then, I was really bloated. Then the poop that came out was REALLY smelly (worse than usual). Then, everything stopped! My stomach started getting bigger to the point I really looked 6 months pregnant. My stomach was hotter on one side then the other. I went to my GI after about two weeks, not because of the pain but do to the bloating and the heat. He gave me some pills, sent me home. I wound up in the ER and my GP admitted me! He said "You got yourself a blockage, kiddo. How long has this been going on?". I thought he was going to throttle me!

The point: it didn't really hurt that badly in the two to three weeks it had been happening. It was just the last 6 hours that it was at a 10+. It was the fact that my stomach was so much hotter on one side then the other that had me seeking medical attention.
12-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #34
mere282

My Support Groups:
I'm still in the testing stages... I had a partial obstruction... i thought i had a bug at first... Bad d... then day 2 cramping.... I couldnt stand up straight.. third day my hubby made me go to the er.... I was sick for about 2 weeks...
12-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #35
jlanier

My Support Groups:
I can honestly that it is definitely the worst pain ever. I basically ended up getting to the point where I could not move without hurting so bad that I nearly screamed. I was throwing up with just the sip of anything, and had diarrhea. When I got to the hospital, my colon and small intestine had perforated as a result. It is definitely not something to mess with. As a result I ended up having to get a temporary ileostomy.
12-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #36
Chiefmeister

My Support Groups:
I had a full small bowel obstruction and remember waking up at 4 am with the worst pain imaginable. I knew I couldn't drive to the hospital and didn't want to wake my family so early, so I just sucked it up for a few hours. Only had been diagnosed with Crohn's for about 9 months at this stage and was fully recovered from resection surgery 6 months earlier.

It basically feels like the most intense stomach cramps you can get and for me it came in waves, so I'd get a breather for about 5 mins before it all started again. I didn't have any vomiting at this stage yet as I think the blockage was still manifesting itself.

Went to the local hospital, thinking I had a flare up (was not aware of obstructions at this stage), who sent me home saying I had a stomach bug!!

Pain continued and increased at home, and now with major vomiting each time I tried to eat. Realized that I hadn't opened my bowels all days which was strange as I normally go about 7-9 times a day.

Finally, went to a different hospital who decided to keep me in and observe. Unfortunately it was Easter weekend so did not get to see a bowel surgeon until 4 days later, who immediately identified a small bowel obstruction.

I was only in pain on the first day, as the blockage was actually taking place. Once I was blocked, I wasn't in any pain. Although did have a tube up my nose and was nil by mouth for 14 days.

Blockage was caused by adhesions most likely from my previous surgery and not due to active crohn's.

Hope this helps.
05-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #37
jonathanzn

As those who have inflammatory bowel disease are at increased for intestinal blockages and obstruction intestinal perforations[/URL], it has been suggested that we create a thread detailing what a blockage or obstruction feels like. Those of you who have had blockages, please share your experience in as much detail as possible. Did anything feel different in the days leading up to the blockage, once there was a blockage, how did you feel, and any other pertinent information. Personal accounts of partial blockages are welcome as well. Many thank you's to those of you who share.
David, hi, I have an question. How could I tell my intestinal half-obstruction caused by inflammation from scarring? Especially, when my symptom is getting worse, maybe the tissue is going from normal inflammation to scarring, that could make worse, or even need surgery. thanks!
05-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #38
Nerple

My Support Groups:
My experiences were pretty similiar to those listed. I started noticing it shortly after eating. First feels just like I was gassy and that the night would probably be spent in close proximity to the bathroom. A few hours would pass and what felt like minor abdominal cramps would start and I would indeed spend a few trips to the bathroom. The cramping would gradually get more and more severe. Vomitting would start after about 10-12 hours and continue for a long while, long after everything from my stomach was evacuated and I was just vomitting bile. Eventually the cramping sensation would get so severe I didn't want to move. And knowing I havent had any liquids in 24 hours I would attempt to get some water in my system depiste the idea of drinking being an absolutely repulsive though. And my body would reject everything I tried, even as little as 5-10mL of water. Think the two times I've been to the ER for an obstruction I called the pain 6's on a scale of 10.

But damn do I hate the NG tubes.
05-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #39
Mama & Mac

My Support Groups:
Good morning all,
I suffer from partial obstructions all the time, due to all surgeries I have had(lots of scare tissu) and they are bad........but I have had to have 2 emergency surgeries due complete obstructions... It is by far the worst pain I have ever been in, you know when it's happenes cause you feel pain in your lower chest, right at the v in your rib cage, also in your lower back, if the obstruction has been building up for awhile,hours even days only liquid will come out as stool, then it will stop and the pain will get worse, then i start to run a fever, and the inevitable vomiting, at this point i go to the hospital, they start an IV, stop all oral intake, start pain meds,then a NG tube to help remove the fluid in my belly and it helps, my doctor will start prednisone, and I wait, maybe the blockage passes or they go in and get it. Don't know if that's how others feel, but it's the worst for me...I'd rather kidney stones!...
05-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #40
David
Co-Founder

David, hi, I have an question. How could I tell my intestinal half-obstruction caused by inflammation from scarring? Especially, when my symptom is getting worse, maybe the tissue is going from normal inflammation to scarring, that could make worse, or even need surgery. thanks!
Unfortunately, you can't tell without testing. The best test that I know of is the Magnetic Resonance Enterography (a MRI where you drink a polyethylene glycol solution) which you can read more about here.
06-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #41
Fosterfamily2303

My Support Groups:
Question...how many days did u have the waves of pain? And did u find with a partial obstruction u were unable to eat as well?
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #42
Jennifer
Adminstrator

@ Fosterfamily2303 - I don't recall how many days I had waves of pain, was just generally unwell and wasn't able to eat much at all. Everything I ate made me feel sick. I eventually started throwing up.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
06-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #43
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Question...how many days did u have the waves of pain? And did u find with a partial obstruction u were unable to eat as well?
I don't know how everyone else treats their waves of pain but if it doesn't correct itself in 8 to 12 hours then I go to the ER. When this happens to me, whether it is a full obstruction or partial obstruction there is too much pain to consider eating. It would only worsen and prolong the pain. If fully obstructed, well... there is nothing going down. Anything that is in my stomach is coming back up and I rarely vomit so going to the ER is a no-brainer.

I have been warned by my doctor to not take this lightly. A perforation could occur.
06-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #44
Nerple

My Support Groups:
My appetite absolutely disappears when I have a partial obstruction. The pain has lasted anywhere from 6 hours during my most recent one to 3 days during my first one. Though the worst one I had I was put on morphine and something 10 times stronger than morphine after 2.5 days so not sure how much longer it would have lasted.
06-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #45
Fosterfamily2303

My Support Groups:
Thanks. I am a bet conserned. I was having direhha like every 40 min...then it slowed down to every few hours. It's been 3 days without a bm. I am on nicatotics for pain and have not been eating much. I was able to keep food down but now I can't. I have waves of pain that come and go...

I am due to prep for a collonscopy Sunday and concerned..also was having bloody bm ...hope I dont loose too much blood with the prep
06-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #46
Nerple

My Support Groups:
That sounds a lot like an obstruction. Especially if the pain is in the center of the stomach like 2 inches or so above the navel. At least that is where mine is like a really bad stomach cramp. When obstructed, the liver continues to fill your stomach with bile so since it can't drain, it has nowhere else to go but out through vomiting. And I usually have a bout of diarrhea right before the pain commences as the last of the excrement that made it though before the blockage leaves.
06-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #47
Fosterfamily2303

My Support Groups:
My pain is right at the belly button. When I throw up its just the food I tried to eat...no green bile or anything.
06-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #48
Nerple

My Support Groups:
The bile won't be green, it's sort of clear and there isn't much of it. At least in ym experiences. But if you haven't had a BM for 3 days and this pain has been going on for more than a day, I'd seriously consider getting to the ER. MY GI's personal recommendation for me is to consult him when I begin vomiting or go in to the ER if he isn't in when vomiting starts.
06-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #49
Fosterfamily2303

My Support Groups:
I guess the only reason I haven't gone is because my hospitals around her are ridiculous! I had no issues until my surgery last Wednesday...Thursday woke up to all of this for the first time. They sent me home bleeding and not even knowing if it was from surgery or not. All they could tell me was it was not hemoroids.

Anyway...went too far into detail. Thanks for your help!!!
06-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #50
Irene3

My Support Groups:
Not sure how many obstructions Iv had. First few times I didn't know what was wrong, as I'd been told by gp's that I had a tummy bug. The pain of full obstruction is indescribable, though the first reply covered it well. I wouldn't put it at 9.5, because for me, perforated bowel was by far worse, but it's horrible pain none the less. After a few, I'd notice that my upper abdomen would get a sharp pain, every few minutes, before the full obstruction pain, which is over a larger area. When this would begin, I'd tidy up and what not, knowing that the pain would get worse. The vomiting is horrible, and shaking cold sweats, which is the bodies shock reaction. After being diagnosed, I went into hospital with the worst obstructions, but by then there was over 59cm of stricturing, and abcesses, so it was horrible. :/
Currently on long term prednisone,6mp,humira, nizoral, and vit supplements,b12 shots.

Love the forum
06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #51
madferrit

My Support Groups:
has to be the most painful experience ever.
Stomach swelled , strong smells made me want to vomit- which i did-alot!
bowel noises stopped, violent diarrhea, violent vomiting, felt confused (due to dehydration) was unable to eat or drink as it would come out both ends (still like water)
Eventually vomited bile due to lack of anything going in. Sweating, shaking,exhaustion, bad breath,sunken eyes, sore bones but its the pain i'll never forget, as someone else has mentioned its very much like labour, but your so exhausted it feels like your going to die there and then. oh and you stop passing wind/gas (my doc always says if i stop farting come straight in!)

I snapped my Radius bone in January- was extremly painful but still comes nowhere near obstruction pain!
07-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #52
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had an obstruction it really painful they told me too stop the buscopan they werent sure whether it was that. It never made much difference. I was still going 20-30 times a day even when I had an obstruction. My stomach swelled up like i was 9 months pregnant and my stomach was in agony. I had to have an emergency total colectomy very nearly perforated:O
07-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #53
kiny

My obstruction was a result of not getting medication and after a long time inflammation got so bad that it caused blockage. (I never experienced vomiting for some reason)

The blockage feels like constipation, you feel bloated. The day that I did manage to go to the bathroom resulted in a rupture of the intestine, followed by blood loss an fainting a few seconds afterwards.

Next I was put on remicade, I still have slight stricturing here and there and plaque (which is a bit of adhesion in one place), most of my symptoms are better now.
10-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #54
scoutfinch

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone for contributing your stories and experiences. After reading through this thread, I suspect I may be developing an obstruction. I have a section of narrowing in my small intestine and have been in a strong flare for over 2 months. Recent symptoms which lead me to believe obstruction is developing are: feeling very full after eating only a little, bloating and distension of belly and abdomen, nausea, a feeling of inflammation and very tight squeezing in my intestines which almost feels like gas pain, strong sharp clear pains and pain that is like a lasting tight ache, nausea (but no vomiting), gurgling noises - sometimes like water glugging down a drain that's recently unplugged, sometimes like a tight wheezing.

Right now, I'm still having regular bowel movements and have not vomited at all. Is there a timeframe after which obstruction occurs that I will experience a stoppage of BM's and/or commencement of vomiting? Basically, is there any way I can predict when an obstruction has occurred so that I can head to the ER before it gets truly horrible?
10-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #55
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
Hi there,

Sorry you are struggling right now. I have not had an obstruction, but everything I have read up on it says that with an obstruction, you can feel A LOT of pain. I also know bloating and nausea are other symptoms as well. But those symptoms can happen even with no obstruction. I also get that gurglings in my intestines where it sounds like water gurgling down the drain. Not sure, I just assumed it was that my gut was upset. I guess the only way to know is to go to your GI doc and have them check. How are your bowel movements? Are they regular formed or diarhea?

I have motlity issues of my upper gut and I would get that tight squeezong feelings as well as feeling full after only one bite of food. There was a point I could only eat baby food. This was like 6 years ago and I was dx with the motility issue. I guess if I were you, I would go to the doctor and have them check you out. I mean that is the only real way to know what is happening. Hope you feel better soon....

Thanks everyone for contributing your stories and experiences. After reading through this thread, I suspect I may be developing an obstruction. I have a section of narrowing in my small intestine and have been in a strong flare for over 2 months. Recent symptoms which lead me to believe obstruction is developing are: feeling very full after eating only a little, bloating and distension of belly and abdomen, nausea, a feeling of inflammation and very tight squeezing in my intestines which almost feels like gas pain, strong sharp clear pains and pain that is like a lasting tight ache, nausea (but no vomiting), gurgling noises - sometimes like water glugging down a drain that's recently unplugged, sometimes like a tight wheezing.

Right now, I'm still having regular bowel movements and have not vomited at all. Is there a timeframe after which obstruction occurs that I will experience a stoppage of BM's and/or commencement of vomiting? Basically, is there any way I can predict when an obstruction has occurred so that I can head to the ER before it gets truly horrible?
10-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #56
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Scoutfinch! I agree, you would definitely feel really sharp awful waves of pain and wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom and would most like throw up anything you ate. I've had partial small bowel obstructions where a tiny bit is open but it hurts like hell. I've usually thrown up and had pain severe enough that I know it's time to go to the hospital. I would definitely call your GI, though. It could be you're forming a stricture. I know exactly what you mean about that tight bloated feeling and inability to eat much. It does sound like you're working towards something, so I would have the GI check you out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it passes quickly!

10-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #57
crohnsbro

My Support Groups:
I had surgery over the summer with an aweful surgeon. Had 60cm of my illium and my IC valve removed. The surgeon used a "unconventional" way to connect the intestines and they ended up healing accross the intestine creating a very effective intestinal blockage (partial). I also had C-Diff (again) so I had no trouble with BMs. In Fact I was in the bathroom about every hour on the hour. In consultation with the doctor I was told I could eat limited amounts of food. After a week I gave up on that. Every time I ate even a little bit I would be throwing it up 20 minutes later with extreme abdominal pain. I ended up going into the emergency room every 3-5 days (usually late evening or early morning) for pain. By the time I went in for a second surgery to fix the problems made by the first surgery I had gone about 2 months without eating more than a hersey's kiss at a friends birthday (I was getting nutrition through my picc line).
So, for me an intestinal obstruction was many short bursts of pain, vomiting, and being hungry. Along with many trips to the ER.
10-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #58
Kellix

My Support Groups:
I had a intestinal Blockage, did not know what it was from later on I did, Crohns. I went to bed that night and didn't feel right, the next day, I just felt bad, I had eaten, but it didn't feel right and like other said, I tried to pass gas but couldn't, also to have a BM.

So I thought if I would empty my stomach, I would feel better. Wrong move, I started throwing up and I could not stop. I took Phernagen didn't do a thing.

So I went to the hospital, right when I was talking to the nurse, I started to throw up. I could not stop literally.

They got me in a room and gave me Zofran and morphine. I finally felt better and the throwing up stopped. They wanted to do a Cat scan on me, so I had to drink the stuff for it. They did the cat scan, which showed I had a blockage.

I got back to the room and was bloated and felt, I didn't need to feel this way anymore after the cat scan and threw up. I felt a lot better.

Well the nurse saw this and decided to ambush me with 2 other nurses and put a NG tube in my stomach. That hurt like crap and I was mad as hell, I took it out. The nurses and doctors were mad at me. But I was like look, you filled my stomach with his crap and because I have a blocked intestine and I want to feel better, I throw up.

In the end, we made a deal if I started throwing up again, they would put the NG tube again. Well I didn't throw up again.

I was admitted to the hospital and stayed 2 days. The blockage passed. Later on the surgeon thought I had Gall stones because I had a lot of Gallstones pain.

I picked probably the worst GI doctor I could get, the guy did a colonoscopy and I'm sorry to me even it didn't look right. He was like I'm going to ask at a conference.

I was in pain had diarrhea all the time, thought I had dumping syndrome from the gallstones. Which they thought, I passed a gallstone and it caused the blockage.

The GI doctor wanted to do another colonoscopy. I thought this guy was either double dipping or was just dumb, I had enough. I fired him.

I talked to my friends that had intestine problems, and I went to the one of the best GI surgeons in Atlanta, he took one look at my colonoscopy and was like you got Crohns and its bad, it was at the ileum. I asked him, like the other GI doctor had said, do I need another colonoscopy. He was like do you want to go thru another colonoscopy? I was like No, he was like Ive been doing this for 20 years, you got Crohns.

I had the surgery because he said, meds would not help, it was so far gone. I was 42, I'm 43 now, I never knew I had Crohns.

The surgery, I had complications with it, where I had to go back because there was a leak after he did the surgery.

Then I had a fistula at my operating site. In the end he had to do another surgery. In the end, I have lost. about a 14 inches of my small and large intestine and I was in the hospital a total of 27 days. I got to know the nurses there well. lol

Today I am passing gas and its hurting bad. I am going to my new GI doctor who has been doing it for 30 years. He just did a colonoscopy on me and said everything looked good. What's scaring me today. The sharp pain I get from passing gas and all. The colonoscopy, revealed, it looked great, but the polyps that were near my ileum said I have Crohns again.

I am going to see him today, because, he already called me and said, I was going to have to go on asacol.

The past 2 years have been hell. I have had 4 surgeries. It all started after I had surgery on my back and I was taking Celebrex and then I had the obstruction and it started it all.
10-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #59
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Buggers Kellix...sounds awful! I have to say, you probably need more than Asacol. Sounds like your crohns is ratcheting up a bit. They'll need the inflammation to go down, and a maintenance med like Azathioprine to keep you from flaring and do more damage down the road.
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
10-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #60
Kellix

My Support Groups:
Misty:

Yep its been awful, I saw him today and hes putting me on asacol and Bentyl for the pain. But I am also getting a Cat Scan done, to make sure, I'm not perforating anywhere, I passed gas today and I was happy has heck, some people would think I was nuts, but people don't realize that its like your body saying i'm working. He might be putting me on something else, the reason why the asacol, was all he said, he said on when he did the colonoscopy. he said visually the crohns was gone, but from the biopsy, he said, Microscopically he said I still have it. That's why he wanted to be proactive about it. But lately I had bronchitis a bunch and had to take a ton of anti-biotics, well that caused a bunch of the big D. And so. he recommended me take questran, I hated questran, but I had some whelcol, and I was taking it. But I have been about straining to go to the bathroom. Which may have been causing my latest problem why my doc was like quit taking that stuff and take thr asacol and bentyl, deal with the D if it happens, till my body gets back to the way it was before the anti-biotics. I got pneumonia and then had bronchitis, like about 6 times, What I meant, Its been hell.

Thanks

Kellix

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Intestinal Blockage / Obstruction Support Group