• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the Forum, interested in Holistic and Dietary Treatment

I am 30/F and was diagnosed with UC affecting my entire lower GI about 3 years ago. At the time of my diagnosis it was also discovered that I also had giardia. Having a UC flare and giardia was horrific! I currently take Lialda and use mmj to help with the pain, cramping, and nausea. I also take probiotics, iron, and drink concentrated aloe juice. Stress seems to be a big factor for me. I have been crapping blood for over a month. In about 2 weeks I am doing a lot of traveling including a 3 day road trip. Leaving California mmj will be much less of an option. Any trips for managing my symtoms that doesn't include going to the doctor?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community Beach Living!

I am sorry to read about your troubles with UC and giarida. Many of the treatment options you are currently using have also been used by others successfully to help manage their symptoms.

You will find we have a dedicated Diet, Fitness and Supplements for IBD subforum for discussion of various items that can help manage your disease in a non-medical manner.

That should give you a lot of information to consider. Hope the community can be of help to you and that the road trip goes well!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to you :)

I can understand your desire to treat your UC holistically and through diet. I'm a huge fan myself but I never recommend aloe juice to anyone. There is some serious scamming going on online regarding it and sources such as the mayo clinic report many negatives. That you've been "crapping blood" while on it this long makes me think it's time to try something else.

You may want to explore enteral nutrition as it can be effective for ulcerative colitis. We have an enteral nutrition support forum in case you'd like to learn more.

I wish you all the best. :)

dear beach living,

i am also brand new to this forum, and when perusing the posts was excited to see that there was someone else interested in treating their condition holistically! i just posted my story under "new to forum - treating my crohn's holistically", and it describes how, after a lack of success with conventional IBD medications, i discovered the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) and began treating my uc/crohn's holistically. i am by no means a holistic nut, but i have found SO much more relief through dietary modification and yoga than with any IBD medication i have been on in the past.

if you are curious about SCD, matt herod maintains a no-frills but very informative site with a great introduction to the diet that you should definitely check out. i also recommend looking into the GAPS diet, which is premised on SCD, but eliminates all dairy for those who are more sensitive to lactose. if you would like the links, please feel free to e-mail me (the system will not allow me to put them in this reply since i am a new user!). and, if you do decide to try the SCD or GAPS, please let me know and i'd be happy to provide you with support and tips based on my experience with the diets!

also, i agree with david's caution against aloe - it contains anthroquinone, which is an irritant to the gut, and is also an immunostimulant that increases the release of TNF (a cytokine involved in systemic inflammation).

in addition, do you take iron as an oral supplement? if so, i would stop immediately - it is harsh on the gut and can damage intestinal lining, contribute to microbial imbalance in your gut (many pathogens and "bad" bacteria feed on iron), and may likely be the cause of much of your cramping. since you are bleeding, your are probably anemic and iron deficient, but you can increase absorption of iron naturally occurring in foods by taking a vitamin C supplement. when reading about the SCD and GAPS diets, you will also discover how important a proper regime of supplements is. and even if you decide that SCD or GAPS isn't for you, you should definitely consider taking a full range of vitamin supplements (B-complex, C, E, A, D3, folic acid, omega 3-6-9).

as far as travel goes, i practically always have a flare due to the related stress, but do much better when i stay hydrated with a good coconut water and make sure i eat foods that are easier to process, such as cooked vegetables and fruits, no red meats, and no alcohol. ripe bananas are also especially helpful.

alright, this might be more info than you wanted, but i hope at least some of it will be helpful to you at this point!

best of luck and let me know if you want to discuss further
:)

Thanks for the tips! I know its been a little while but I am still struggling. Out of desperation I stopped eating gluten, cut out my vices (diet soda, Rockstars, and domestic light beer), limit my diary to cheese and yogurt, and avoid unnatural foods. I think I feel a little better. The cruel joke of all this is that I am a chef and food seems to be my enemy right now.