• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Hello everyone,
My name is Mary and I was diagnosed with crohns a month ago and have extreme stomach pain and still have some diarhhea and constant gas which is very embarrassing when at work and in public. I just started on prednisone and asacol today. I'm really nervous about taking the prednisone. I'm almost trying to figure out what foods to eat that won't cause me pain.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Mary welcome to the forum :bigwave: Sorry you have this dreaded disease too but you are not alone here and nothing is off the table in this forum for descriptions of pain and bms.

Prednisone is the love/hate drug but you have to respect it and learn to only be on it whenever it is very necessary. The docs always prescribe it but it does come with a price if used long term. We love it because it gives us energy, hunger and takes the pain away , however once you taper, the pain can come back and that it why you are on asacol for a maintainence drug.

Most of us stick to a low residue diet and bad times the brat diet (Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Avoid all dairy and wheat as much as you can, they are bloaters. I am surprised the doctor didnt also put you an antibiotic to kill any infections.

You will learn that we are all different but one thing we have in common here is to help others as best we can. Hope you get relief soon and see you around the forum!

Jessi

Welcome Mary. :)

Just diagnosed a month ago? Were you having symptoms for long before diagnosis? How many milligrams of prednisone were you prescribed?

I hope you find comfort and support here the way most people do. You came to the right place in my opinion. You should hang out as often as you need to or want to. You'll make friends quickly here. :hug:

Angrybird

Hi Mary and :welcome: You may find that once the pred has done it's job and your symptoms have calmed down that you doc may want you to try a low fat/low fibre diet, you cut out a lot of foods but then gradually re-introduce them and keep a diary of what then gives you problems. I find most people will have a problem having too much dairy and I personally can't have caffeine or fruit juices. I have always been told to try and avoid eating the skins on certan foods like potatoes and not to eat things with litte pips in them as they can irritate the bowel. Fingers crossed you will not have to be on the pred for long and that you will be feeling better soon:)