Share Facebook

12-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
stephanied

Preeclampsia

My son is three now but i was just wondering if anyone else had (Preeclampsia) toxemia when they were pregnant? Im not sure if it has anything to do with crohns??
12-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Jessi

My Support Groups:
I had it with my first child, who is now 13. I wasn't diagnosed then, but the thought has gone through my mind.

Dx'd with Psoriasis in 1993
Dx'd with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2004
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis on May 18, 2011

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anon.
12-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
David
Co-Founder

I recently read that Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) deficiency (not uncommon in people with IBD) makes you 4.7 times more likely to have preeclampsia when pregnant.
12-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
No issues with that while I was pregnant.....actually, I was darned healthy while pregnant!

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
12-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Scifimom

My Support Groups:
I wasnt diagosed when I had my children but had no problems with preeclampsia either.

Actually I had quite easy pregnancies followed by uneasy births (both kids were born via c-section)
12-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
stephanied

Thanks David... Ill have to look into that. I still need to do my blood work to see how far off i am on my vitamins. My last visit to the Dr. went way way wrong so i didnt get a chance to ask.

Kamdyn was born via C-Section also and recovery took a lot longer than most people. But they may be a me thing and not a crohns thing. Sometimes i cant tell the difference...
12-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I had a planned c-section (due to fistulas) - was in the hospital for 3-4 days then home....no complications from that surgery or recovery....
12-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Johnnysmom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had preeclampsia with my son and he is the one with Crohn's. My stomach has given me trouble for years though and I had an autoimmune reaction (transverse myelitis) last year that may very well have been because of vitamin deficiency. I now take Vit D, and B12 and both of my kids get vitamins.
12-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
lookame

My Support Groups:
No preeclampsia...easy pregnancy...esy...ish birth. I say easyish because he came out rather quickly but then had trouble breathing and was taking to the special care nursery. I hadtrouble clotting afterward (his head was really big and I had to be cut and then he ripped me further) I was kept on potocin to help clot but after a couple of hours they were able to take me off it and I healed normally and the next night little one was back with me.

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
12-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
LindaS

My Support Groups:
I had preeclampsia when I was pregnant. I was able to manage it on bedrest and my son was born at 37 weeks 4 days. I had flared so bad while pregnant, and also had hyperemises that I was so bummed when I was diagnosed with pre-e
01-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
~Manders~

My Support Groups:
Ugh, great...something else to worry about!!!

My hubby and I are going to start TTC around June-ish, so I'm finally doing some research on CD & pregnancy. Its scaring the be-jezus out of me!! lol

Diagnosed at 24 in December 2004.

My Story...
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=30351
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Mapper

Preeclampsia is more common with first babies and boys, for some reason. I know some people who follow the Brewer Diet to try to prevent preeclampsia. It's important to get plenty of protein and eggs. http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id96.html
I'm not endorsing it, but putting it there for your consideration.
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
SarahAnne

My Support Groups:
How strange, Mapper! I developed preeclampsia when I went into labor with my first, a boy. I was in remission throughout my pregnancy, and he was born healthy. He did have very bad colic and had to be put on a special formula (I did too when I was an infant).

He's 8 now and beginning to complain that his tummy hurts or that he has the bad poops. I hope it's not IBD
4 procedures in March/April 2010 to remove a kidney stone
Dx'd Dyshidrotic Eczema April 2011
Dx'd Pancreatitis July 2011
2nd bowel resection 10/12/11 - I have 130cm of small intestines left!
Dx'd Chronic gastritis April 2012

Currently taking:
Cholestyramine powder 1-2x daily
Remicade 5mg/kg every 8 wks
Vitamin D3, B12
01-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
stephanied

holy cow!

Mine was my only and a boy and he also had colic... and so did i as a baby (very bad actually)

He is only 3 and he has acid reflux problems i havent taken him to the dr just yet but i let him have papaya enzymes and that seems to help.

Good God i pray that he never has this problem.
01-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
ekuskrash

As far as I remember from Nursing School there is no relation to preeclampsia and CD directly.
What David said does actually make some sense. I'll scoop some of my old papers and look into it.
Traveling with Crohn's