• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I am a survivor

Hi, my name is Debbie and I am 61 years old. I have had problems with my stomach since I was 20. Diagnosed with spastic colon, IBS, colitis, etc. In 2007, I had some dental work done and was placed on an antibiotic. I developed a yeast infection in my mouth and my throat. I kept going to the doctor and taking different medicines. To make a long story short, I lost about 45 to 50 pounds in just 2 months and was admitted to the hospital for dehydration. While there, my colon ruptured and emergency surgery was preformed. That was the beginning of my new life!! I now have the ostomy and am going to have the rectal stump removed after Christmas. I don't have many problems with the stoma, but lately I have had more leak accidents than usual. I use the adaptor rings and the Hollister wafers. I am not a viable candidate for corrective surgery, so any advice you can give would be appreciated. I am always afraid the leak will be at work or at someone's home.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum! Glad you found us, there are soooooooooo many here with stoma's and they name them. I do not but you will see other stories and others that will share their experiences. Welcome aboard. Some one can rescue you!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Debbie and welcome! I think having a leak is a concern for anyone with a stoma. I suggest checking out the Stoma subform. As Pen said, we have many members with stomas, and I bet they'll have a lot of good advice for you.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Jessi

Hello and welcome, Debbie. :) I hope that you can share your optimism with others here, and that you can find answers as well. :hug:

What was your final diagnosis? And how much of your colon was removed?

Welcome again. Be well. :)

I ahd been wrongfully diagnosed in 2001. I was treated for ulcerative colitis until 2007. My entire colon was perforated and had turned black. The doctors felt as if it had been leaking for some time. I now have the bag and for the first time in my adult life, I am not madly seeking out the nearest and cleanest restrooms. I am due to have the rectal stump removed after the first of the year. I have had countless flares since 2009, so I have elected to have this final surgery. I didn't know that Crohn's Disease is the leading cause of rectal and colon cancer. My daughter also has Crohn's Disease. I had been in 6 independent studies to help to find a cure or medicine that can help to end this dibilitating condition. Hopefully within my lifetime there will be a cure.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Debbie, I wanted to welcome you as well. I hope you become a regular part of our community and i'm sure you can find answers to pretty much any ostomy related question in our stoma subforum Jill linked to above.

I wish you well :)

thank you. I don't know anyone else who has the bag. I don't have any support groups within my area, so this website is a gift for me. I can only hope that I can help others in any way from the experiences that I have had in the past. I never thought about naming my stoma, but now I think that would be highly appropriate:) thanks again.

Hi Debbie---I'm very new to the stoma world--I had my colon and rectum removed 19 days ago (for Crohn's Dz). Just wanted to let you know that there are no support groups close to my area as well, and this site has been absolutely wonderful. I've been on the stoma subforum asking many questions---and everyone is soo helpful. I'm still scared of my Blossom (um, yeah I named it 'cause everyone else does!) so I can't be much help there---but I'm holding good thoughts for you and may you have an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery--go slow! :thumright: Dana