• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story ... so far

To keep it short ....

Over 10 years ago I was a courier and started having problems (I mention the fact I was a courier as it was unknowingly the first time my symptoms had affected my life / work noticeably). Anyway, as I am sure many are familiar with, went thru the treadmill of doctors telling me I had indigestion to one actually sitting across from me laughing and saying "but it's only a bit of stomach ache", finally diagnosed IBS then took another 5 years to be diagnosed Crohns. Several BAD years until a Small Bowel Res Jan 2011. This I thought was my new beginning!! I was wrong, last few months all the usual symptoms have come steamrolling back into my life laying waste to social, work, relationships and mental health. Went onto Azathioprine two weeks ago and now in a nightmare of terrible back, knee, ankle pains. The consultant tells me to still increase the dose starting tomorrow .... WTF!!

Anyway thanks for having me in your forum.

D

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi dhay and welcome! I am sorry it took you so long to get diagnosed, and you didn't get much relief from surgery.

I haven't been on Aza myself, but if I was having bad side effects, I would be questioning whether upping the dose is the right move, too. Does your doctor think the pains will be short lived? You may want to check out the Imuran/Aza/6-MP subforum. Hopefully other members on the same treatment will have some advice for you.

Jessi

Welcome to the forum, dhay. :welcome:

I'm no Aza expert, but some drugs cause problems if it's too small or too large of a dose. Maybe Aza is one of those. Everybody is different, so your doctor might be trying to tweak it until it comes out right. *shrug* Whatever it is, I hope the plan works for you sooner or later - preferably sooner. :hug:

I'm glad you found us here. I hope you stick around.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings dhay and welcome!

Were you tested for the TPMT enzymes before starting Azathioprine? If not, you may want to read this thread before upping your dose and see what you think.

I wish you well and hope to see you around :)