• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade,,,getting off

I have had no problems for a long time. Feeling great.

I have now lost my job along with insurance coverage, so i will be
stopping my treatments. I do NOT have 5 k every 8 weeks.

Its just a sign of the current times and have no choice.

Has anyone else here had to do this and if so,,,what happened?

Thanks in advance for your input,,,i appreciate it.

txs, Franko

Jessi

Hi Franko! Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

I am on Remicade without insurance and I get it for free. So don't give up.

It may be different in Canada. (I'm in the States.) But send an application to Johnson and Johnson applying for financial assistance. They approved me easily. I get the Remicade plus all the materials and needles needed for the infusion - all completely free. I only pay my home care nurse (or the clinic) about $50 an hour for the infusion.

Ask your doctor for an application.

Good luck. :hug:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Franko and welcome! If Remicade is working, I would do all that I could to stick with it. Please try to reach out to J & J, to see if they'll assist you until you pick up insurance with a new employer.

The fear is, if you stop using Remicade and get sick again, there is a good chance it will not work for you again. When stopping treatment, the body builds up a tolerance against the drug, making in ineffective in the future. So, again, if it is working, please do all you can to continue your treatment.

I have had no problems for a long time. Feeling great.

I have now lost my job along with insurance coverage, so i will be
stopping my treatments. I do NOT have 5 k every 8 weeks.

Its just a sign of the current times and have no choice.

Has anyone else here had to do this and if so,,,what happened?

Thanks in advance for your input,,,i appreciate it.

txs, Franko
Hi Franko

Sorry to hear you lost your job. It is a sign of our times right now.
About having to stop treatment I hope this information will help you.

When the doctor put my son on remicade we were put in touch with a
person from the drug company who explained things and arranged his infusions etc. At that time we also explained he couldnt afford the cost
of it. She told us about the Ontario Drug Benefit Program- Trillium Drug Program. Based on your income they will pay for remicade minus a small deductible. If you have a contact person from the drug company I would call them and let them know your situtation. That you cant afford it anymore. They might be able to help you to get things done faster. If not the phone number for the ontario drug benefit program is 1-800-575-5386.

Keep us posted how you make out. They should be able to help you.