Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Hernia surgery

01-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Hernia surgery

I think I might have an abdominal hernia? Does this need to be treated right away or I can I hold out?

If I have the surgery is it outpatient? What's recovery like? Can I resume work, food right away?
01-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
ekay03
My dog has hands!

If it isn't terribly painful, you can hold off on this kind of surgery. Mostly it is outpatient, and often it can be done laparoscopically. I have had a few, all open and I recovered quickly. If you work in an office, you could be back to work in a week or 2. Yes you can eat right away.
Nexium
Buspar
Zoloft
amlodipine
clonidine
Ferrous Sulfate
Folic acid
multivitamin
Bentyl as needed
Lyrica x2 daily for pain
Norco as needed for pain
Ondansetron as needed for nausea
Miacalcin for the bones
That's a lot of stuff, but I feel good

Friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580468712
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I had/have a parastomal hernia, which is pretty much worse. I was up the same afternoon. And mine was not lapro either. Then again, I cant stand to be enclosed and I smoke! (my bad...so outside I went!)

Its not bad at all as far as surgeries go! Piece of piss compared to what most surgeries we go through!
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
02-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
RG24

I had an umbillical (belly button) hernia repaired about 6 months ago. Prior to surgery, I had the hernia for 2-3 years... so yes, it's something you can live with, as long as it gives you no pain. (And, they say: as long as you can push it back in - it is fine).

They cut just below my belly button... It was outpatient, and I had little pain. Because of the incision - it took me a good 2 weeks to stand up straight, but I was at work within a couple of days. Food is normal.

It takes about 6 months to fully heal on the inside.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Hernia surgery