Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Year Started Over Cant afford Humira

01-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
HeliGuy

Year Started Over Cant afford Humira

So I went to the pharmacy today and since my deductible started over I would have had to shell out 2000 dollars for 2 shots.

The insurance company is not covering any of it.

I have the humira discount card which takes off 1600.

Im still left with 400 dollars for 2 shots.

I dont really know what to do. Last year I was paying about 10 dollars.

Im helping to support my girlfriend while she is in school full time so I have been paying majority of the Bills.

I guess it could be worse. Im wondering if there is a cheaper way to get my meds. My mom gets all of hers through mail order and gets 2 for 3 through insurance doing it this way.

Anyone have suggestions. Im finally at 100 percent and have been on humira for 6-7 months. Im scared whats going to happen if I cant afford it.
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
Yikes, that's scary. I would do whatever you can to come up with the $400. However, does the $1600 from Humira count towards your deductible, or will you still have 4 more months of $400 payments to satisy it?
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
01-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
HeliGuy

Thats a good question. I assumed it would not but if it does I would only have to pay this for maybe 2 months.

It would take 6months with my deductible at 400 if it does not.
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
insurancelady

Hi
Call Abbott (Humira )...they have a $5.00 program (with or without insurance) that you should look into. My daughter uses 2 pens per month for only $5.00!!! PLEASE call now...don't go without meds!!! :-)

Good Luck

PS website http://www.humira.com
01-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
insurancelady is RIGHT!!! I am on the plan Abbott offers and pay only $5 pre month! It was so easy, they do all the work and take care of everything for you!!!

Current Meds
Prednisone
Entyvio

Past Meds
Humira
Lialda
6-MP
Remicade
Etc.......
01-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
HeliGuy

Is the 5 dollar program different then the Humira Protection Plan?

I am already on the Humira Protection Plan and it is paying for the 1600.

I downloaded some forms from Abbots site for

Abbot Patient Assistant Foundation -

I just faxed over the part my doctor has to fill out to her office.

If approved they can pay up to 100 percent. I dont know if I will qualify as Im not sure what the Income Cutoff is.
01-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
HeliGuy

Good News. Doctors Office called back and told me to come over and they have a few shots they can give me. I got there and in an ice packed bag were 4 shots!!!

Im good for 2 months.

They are going to contact my insurance company to see if they can fix this for me.

Im already a week behind as my girlfriend accidentally took my last shot out of the fridge when I was home for christmas and forgot to put it back. Today was the soonest I could fill my prescription.

Thanks! Everyone!
01-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
jlanier

My Support Groups:
I'm pretty sure the $5.00 dollar program is different than the protection plan. Their assistance program is great. My insurance hasn't kicked in yet, and they have covered my first month for free, plus i was told that when my insurance did kick in, it would only cost $5.00 per treatment. It's definitely worth checking into. Humira does a great job working with people, and it only took a total of two weeks at the most to find out if i was accepted or not.
Surgeries: 2 total. The first was removed part of my colon, part of my small intestine, removed my appendix, and was given an ileostomy. The second removed more of my small intestine, and reversed my ileostomy.

Current Medications: Azathioprine 50mg once a day, Prednisone 10mg once a day, Humira 40mg every 2 weeks.
01-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Miss Underestimated

It looks like the $5 coupon is gone. It's no longer on their website. Needymeds has changed their link - it says pharmacy coupon, but it goes to the Humira protection plan the OP described.
*Jan 2012-present, Humira. No symptoms, but scopes indicated disease.
*6MP for all of 2013.
*2014 &2015 complete mucosal healing.

**Staying on Humira for maintenance**

The statistics I see so far for my situation seem pretty good. There ARE long term statistics for the Anti-TNF drug treatments now. I'm here to make them longER.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Year Started Over Cant afford Humira