Share Facebook

01-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
lookame

My Support Groups:
Wtf!

I've had a really great weekend. It was awesome. I got a nice paycheck so I treated myself to a new purse. We used up a couple of our gift cards from Christmas so we ate out twice to two of our favorite restaurants and had an actual date night(that hasn;t happened in...what forever) it was great.

So of coarse going back to work was a bummer, still it wasn;t bad or as stressful as it usually is and I thought things were looking up after the terror day I had on Friday.

Then I get a call from my infusion center. The first was a simple reminder, the second I missed so I called thm back and as I'm getting lunch they call me back. She tells me that my insurance requires preapproval. Ok it should be good to go. I have my infusion tomorrow at 9am this appointment was set up at least 3 weeks ago. So I tell her I'll call my insurance company (medicaid) and see whats up. I've done everything by the book, done their "step up" method and I'm maxed out on all my meds. I'm on 4 pills of lialda, 50 mgs of 6mp(I'm a moderate metabolizer and If I go up anymore I risk bone death) and I'm also on prednisone due to a recent flare. So there should be no problem...

Well I call the insurance company and after adjusting my address and my primary care physician I ask them what's going on with the remicade. She looks it up and goes..."Oh well they asked for approval this morning at 8am. We have up to 14 days to approve you." WTF!? Why would they wait until THE DAY BEFORE to ask for approval then 2 hours later call and tell me that I require approval before my infusion?YOU WAITED TILL TODAY TO ASK IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! So in the end who gets shafted? Me the sick person. All the while I'll step off the prednisone and continue getting worse. Theres a reason why I was schedualed remicade as I'm stepping down so I won;t get worse. ughhhh! what a bunch of fcking idiots

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
01-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
That's frustrating! I'd call the infusion center and give them a piece of my mind. I'm switching to Remicade after my appointment in a couple days and I'm worried I'll have insurance approval issues, too.
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
01-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Emily

My Support Groups:
That's ridiculous! As we say in my family says when this administrative stuff of course screws itself up, the garbage that works in this country...
So now when can you start? Did they reschedule or do you just have to wait around to make an appointment until they approve you?
  • Total colectomy with ileostomy at age 23
infliximab & azathioprine
01-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
lookame

My Support Groups:
Well I don;t blame the insurance company they can only work so fast and she said their allotted 14 days though it rarely takes that long. It's the hospital that fcked it up. Soeone forgot to send the request in when I made the appointment 3 weeks ago and when they looked at my file they said Oh we should send this in...then of coarse it won;t get approved right away. Whoda thought!?

I went ahead and reschedualed I go in on Jan 30th so it should be approved by then...she did say that based on my medicine and hystory it should be approved pretty quickly so thats good it's just frustraiting that because of some fckup I have to wait until the end of the month. I just don't understand why they'd send away for approval at 9am the day before then call me 2 hours later like they've had this sent away for weeks and it's somehow my fault I haven;t gotten approved. Ugh it gives me a headache how retarded some people are.
01-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Rain

OMG! I would have yelled at them. I was set up for a colonoscopy (nine inches left) on the 23rd last month. My mom and I both asked them over and over again if they were sure that was the right date cause it was so close to xmas. So a few days before the 23rd my mom called again, thank goodness, and asked again. They said my appt. was for the 19th. I had already missed it cause the drive is three hours. SO dumb..But its ok, Had the appt. last monday. Are you still doing ok?
01-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
lookame

My Support Groups:
Im doing ok prednisone has made me gain a lot of weight and I can't stop eating...yest when I went to the bathroom I noticed red blood again...more than I had a week ago. It was bad enough to turn the water red but not as bad as im used to. I know this sat when I wean compketly off the blood will return and so will the intolerances. It sucks but it could be worse. Im looking forward to remicade whenever I get it since ill be able to come off several medicines. Still upset about the situation though.
01-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Rain

are you taking iron?
01-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
owr

Hi lookame,

I'm sorry for your troubles and hope all works out.

I'm curious about what you mentioned in your 1st post about 6mp and bone death. I have not heard about this connection with 6 mp, just prednisone. Did I understand correctly? If so, I'd like to hear more.

Thanks,

Oren
01-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
outlier

My Support Groups:
I am sorry insurance companies now how to kick you while your down. good luck
No more sulfasalazine, Methotrexate, Xibrom, Pred Forte and Iron
01-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
lookame

My Support Groups:
Yeah I take iron daily its probably the only thing keeping my iron levels decent.

6mp suppresses the production of white cells and if it suppresses them to much it can cause the bones to die. Something my gi told ne when he started me on 6mp. Its the reason why he keeps a hearty eye on me and making sure im in top of ny blood draws and made sure he did a preliminary tests to see how well I could metabolize 6mp.

I apologize for poor spelling ect im on my DROID :/