Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Will I need to keep taking pred?

01-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
KayleighK

My Support Groups:
Will I need to keep taking pred?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I'm two weeks out of hospital. Felt great on the IV steroids but as soon as I went back to Pred I'm just as bad if not worse than I was before going to hospital. Yesterday I called my GI who has now reffered me to the Western General Hospital so I can start Infliximab. I'm hating being on pred (40mg) been on them for about 3 months now and I'm HUGE! Big moon face and horrible spots all over my forehead ( im putting this down to pred??) So the question is...When you start Infliximab do you still need to take all your other meds?

I take:
8 pentasa tablets a day
40mg pred
150mg azathioprine
2 Adcal-D3
20mg omeprazole
01-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Kat

My Support Groups:
When my daughter was first diagnosed she was on 40 mg of Prednisone. She started her Remicade very shortly after that, but was weaned off of it in 2 months. She is in remission so no more Prednisone for her - Thank God! She still is taking her Pentasa every day.

Currently in Remission!
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Pred is not normally prescribed for the long term and I see you're on Aza which is normally given as a longer term maintenance med. They might keep you on that while you're on Remi (Infliximab) as the combination is supposed to be effective and can help avoid Remi side effects.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Will I need to keep taking pred?