• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A Short Story

This all started when I quit smoking in 1970. The big “D” and bleeding. Dr said I have UC. 16 azulfadine tabs a day and I turned yellow. After 2 months in the VA hospital I finally had a formed stool. All the nurses were excited, everyone came to look at it. Well it seemed like everyone. A couple of years later started bleeding again. Back in the hospital. Out again and it started again so I started smoking again. Bleeding stopped. Did great for a few years. Then I quit smoking again. Started bleeding again. after a year of prednisone and a dr said maybe I should start smoking again. I did and bleeding stopped. I did pretty good until the late 80’s. Stopped smoking again. Dumb idea. In 1988 I was diagnosed with Crohn’s. At one point I was taking 70 mg of Prednisone as day, wow that can really mess you up. Started smoking again somewhere in there. Did pretty good until 2000. Things went bad. Tried immerin (sp), horrible stuff, went off of it. Dr wanted me to try again. I did and that put me in the hospital for a week. Tried MTX and that worked a lot better. I think it was 2002 when I went on Remicade. worked great. They always gave me benadryl and 2 non-aspirin. Did really good until 3 years ago when I had my gallbladder removed. Dr put me on Asacol, made things worse. Increased my “D.” Was living on Lomotil until last week. The new GI dr put me on Pentasa and Budesonine 3 mg a day. The Pentasa I started with half of what the Dr said. He wanted 1 gram 2 times a day for 3 days, the 3 tabs a for 3 days, then 4 times a day. I took 500 mg tabs instead of what he wanted. I am doing GREAT!!! One trip to the bathroom in the morning and I’m good for the day and night. I have been holding my breath for a week now. Well maybe I did breathe once in a while. I still smoke about 7 smokes a day, I roll my own. After taking pred for all those years I was not told to take calcium until 1997. Found out I had osteoporosis, I took a pill once a week for 3 years and it is pretty much gone now. That is the short version of my fun with Crohn’s.:ybiggrin:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome :) How strange that in a sense smoking seemed to help when all we keep getting told is to stop, stop, stop! I am pleased things are going well so far, fingers crossed the Pentesa will keep things sorted for you. When you can have a good look around the forum, there is lots of info about and they are a great bunch here. I am glad you have found us and joined the 'family'.