Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Were you diagnosed right first time?

View Poll Results: diagnosed right first time?
yes 83 31.80%
no 153 58.62%
still waiting 25 9.58%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

05-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
devildee(donna2005)LOL

Were you diagnosed right first time?

Hi All
where you diagnosed right first time?
lots of people seem to have problems with diagnosis did you ?
05-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Kossy

No, I was like 5 when the doctors told my parents that I had mental problems and was just craving attention so I was pretending to have a belly ache.
05-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
devildee(donna2005)LOL

OMG THATS BAD
Kossy said:
No, I was like 5 when the doctors told my parents that I had mental problems and was just craving attention so I was pretending to have a belly ache.
05-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Kossy

Yeah, it sucked really bad. The worst part was being five and not having anyone believe you what so ever because a Doctor told them otherwise.
05-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
devildee(donna2005)LOL

my youngest is 4 1/2 and im very wary, she only poo's every 4 days bur=t docs aid its ok grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Mozam

I was correctly diagnosed - I was seven years old, weighed a miniscule 23 kilos (about 50ish pounds), it took them two whole days, a raft of tests, and a lieukaemia scare.
05-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
scottishgirl

no, i was told it was my gall bladder which they removed, then i was told it was nerve damage, after 4 years i finally got properly diagnosed in jan this year
05-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Kate

i was told i had ibs for 6 years
05-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Janet

I was anorexic and in denial. I had Celiac's Disease. I had Cyctis Fibrosis. Then they decided it was Crohn's. Rediculous! The whole time I was saying "It's IBS! It's IBS!" Nobody believed me and I suffered for 2 and a half years. Great story mhmm.
05-18-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
kc0eks

Great topic!
I started feeling sick around age 15. Saw lots of docs, none had a clue. Some said it was all in my head, and such...that was a blow.
One doc diagnosed me with IBS...so then I took IBS meds, and got really sick.
Finally we went to childrens hospital after more than a year of no results, and they finally figured it out.

fun stuff
05-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #11
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

I am in the no group as well (How did I know that this would be the winning side ).

I was for a bit not knowing what was going on with me, just thinking I had extremely bad constipation. Even though my brother had CD and my doctor had CD, he said there was no way I had it. Considering what symptoms I was showing though and understanding it more now, I do not think it was a terrible "guess". Anyways I ended up getting a test done and there was a suspicion of crohns. A barium swallow did not show, but the colonoscopy did. Actually, now that I think of it it may have been the other way around.
05-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
JoJo

Like most people, I was told it was IBS, also told it was poss a gyne problem and also suggested it was upset tummys like everyone else gets
05-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
Donna

I was told it was IBS for several years. Then, when I started bleeding, I was pregnant, so then it was IBS with bleeding hemmi's and hormonal changes. I think it takes them so long to figure it out because it is so different in everyone. No one seems to have all the same symptoms, and it isn't like this disease is a textbook thing either.

Lucky us!!!
05-22-2006, 05:25 AM   #14
little_sami

I was told IBS too, and given useless tablets, dont even remember what they were, but they didnt stop the blood and M pouring out of my backside lol.

Turns out I actually do have IBS, it's just that I have colitis as well - lmao!
05-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Kate

well i think thats a renounding NO lmao
05-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #16
Valentina

can you have a poll option for "they keep changing their minds"?! lol
06-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #17
Ryan

Nope i was told i had a tummy bug lol
10-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #18
Ruthg

I had tests for a total of about 7 years. I was first told I had Coeliac disease so I tried a gluten free diet for 3 months. Obviously it did nothing and gluten free food was disgusting, so I was rather glad when they told me I wasn't. Then I was told that I had pancreatitis and I was put on Creon 10000 tablets (enzyme tablets) naturally they did nothing either and then I was told I didn't have pancreatitis but some sort of absorption problem!! Eventually after several more gruesome tests I was told I had crohn's disease. I have to say that because of the time they took to come up with the correct diagnosis, I did have doubts about my own sanity. Felt like a hypocondriac. I had to go to my GP for a second opinion too.
10-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #19
blkane

I'm a parent of 2 Crohn's patients. DS#1 was diagnosed with a fistula at age 16. The surgeon who repaired the fistula said it could be a one time deal due to adolescent hormones or it could be something worse. If it came back, we would have to check for Crohn's. 3 months later, it came back.

DS#2 was having chronic hemmorroids at age 14. The pediatric Doc was fairly clueless and prescribed suppositories and PrepH. When he turned 15, I switched him to DS#1's Doc and he was diagnosed with Crohn's.

They were so different. DS#1 had stomach pain and diahrea. DS#2 had constipation. We never thought they could have the same condition. It was very depressing. Especially since, the day DS#2 was diagnosed, my father was in the same hospital dying of cancer. It was a really tough couple of years between 2002 & 2004. At this point, I'm just sort of numb and worried and scared all the time. Today, is not a good day.
10-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #20
joshuahoye

i was told i had a blockage,lol a 6 month blockage..
10-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #21
Georg

I was told IBS for over 2 years. "Pooping blood" = IBS "Dramatic Weight Loss" = IBS "Diarhea" = IBS "Pain" = IBS. Sygmoidoscopy found no inflammation = IBS. It wasn't until 3 years and 30 lbs. later I was finally diagnosed and sent to the hospital for 2 units of blood transfussion for anemia.

At least I finally know what it is now. A LIFE ALTERING,CRONIC, NO CURE DISEASE!

Crohn's SUCKS!
10-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #22
xrayzerase

ibs ibs ibs!!!!
oh..and adhesions from myomectomy 7 years ago..
but-usually got the ibs deal...
10-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #23
carolinajak

Yes. I never noticed any major symptoms but was told I had Crohn's for at least a year before i was diagnosed last month while dying in the ER. The head of surgery said it was the worse CD case he had seen in 30+ years. So I am happy to be here to talk about it.
11-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #24
tonya_n_ky

No, I had IBS, a tubal pregnancy, appendicitis...on the 12th doctor they finally got it right
11-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #25
Jonny

2 pathology results came back as Undetermined IBD.Explaing why it might be Crohns and also explaining why it might be UC.
My surgeon thinks i most likely have Crohns though but cant be sure
02-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
Maggie-Muffin

hello, I am on the yes side, that was one thing ,that was right,
02-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #27
SoccerMom

Where to start ........ Age 7 - wants attention, let`s medicate her .... Age 13- 15eating disorder, let`s medicate her......Age 17-hemmeriods,postpartum depression, let`s medicate her ......Age 19 -hemmeriods,postpartum depression, let`s medicate her....Age 21 -same .....Age 22 food poisening, stomach virus, IBS, Endometriousis, Fibriods....Age 29- Peptic Ulcer Disease, Celiacs, UC ........Age 35- After much discussion it was finally decided that after endoscopy, colonoscopy & the cute little camera thing that FINALLY it is decided that I have Crohns. I like KNOWING better that not, even if it`s crohns.
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
KCMike

The doctors were hoping to rule out cancer first.
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #29
katiesue1506

I was just stressed out a lot... ha

then IBS

then finally i found a doctor that told me it could be Crohns or Colitis... an emergency CT Scan and emergency colonoscopy decided upon Crohn's.
02-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #30
Budgirl

When the symptoms first started I was told I was suffering from stress. They gave anti-depressants. When I still had severe pains they ordered a colonoscopy which resulted in a diagnosis of IBS. I ended up in the emergency room because of a high fever and severe pains after the colonoscopy. Due to a high sed rate I was hospitalized for 3 days. I was released with the diagnosis of chronic appendicitis. They sent me for a cat scan just to be sure. This is the test that finally showed that I had Crohns. Within a month of a proper diagnosis I was hospitalized again and had to endure my first emergency surgery. And the ordeal has never ended since.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Were you diagnosed right first time?