Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade through IV

01-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Lorella

Remicade through IV

Hey all,

Would like some advice or reassurance really. Recently diagnosed, mid December last year, and yesterday I met with my GI to talk about treatment of my Crohns.

I'm now a bit scared. Basically he wanted me to have Remicade, but starting next week I have to go in for a 5 hour IV session, then one again 2 weeks from that, then a month, then 3 then 6.

Alongside that I have to take Azathioprine and go weekly for blood tests.

Until next week I have to take Pentaza.

This all seems really extreme to me and I'm kinda scared. Has anyone else gone through this? Is this normal treatment for Crohns?

Thanks

Previous meds: Budesonide, Amitriptyline, Pentasa.

Surgery: 30/04/2012 Ileocecal Resection.
01-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Hi Lorella - and welcome to the forum.

Yes, this is now a 'common' treatment for Crohns - if you check out hte Remicade Forum, there is a TON of information there and stories from people who have had success with the treatment and some who have not.

I myself have been on it for over 5 years now, who knows where I would be if I didn't have this option !

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
You're not alone! I'm starting Remicade tomorrow (then in 2 weeks, then 4 weeks after that, then every 8 weeks ongoing). I'm also on azathioprine and have monthly blood tests. I'll also be on Lialda.
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
kllyeve

My Support Groups:
I was absolutely scared stiff to go on Remicade as well. I have now had 2 doses and no weird reactions and am starting to see some changes.

It took 2 years of really bad illness before I got up the medication piramid to Remicade and I wish I had been given the option much sooner as I would not have such a hole to climb out of now.

So take the leap and do the Remicade, get into remission as soon as you can. I was scared too but once I had the first infusion the fear subsided.
01-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Lorella

Thanks everyone. Am very new to the "Crohns scene" and don't know anyone else who has it, so I was a bit panicky.

But now I see lots of people have it Had a look at the forums and that's helped as well, it's always nice to know other people have/are going through the same thing.
01-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
brianncc

My Support Groups:
Lorella-
I am new to Crohns too. I was in the hospital for 5 days in Novemeber was put on Azathioprine and Pred and a few weeks later ended back in the hospital for 6 days. I felt like crap. Doctor started Remicade the second to last day. I have had 2 infusions and get my third on the 23nd. I was scared and upset about it. But I felt great in a like 4 days, total turnaround. I stopped having cramps, stopped passing blood, and went from going 20 times a day (through the night) to 2 to 3 solid movements a day. I am eating almost everything and am back to life. Remicade got me in remission in a couple weeks. Don't worry, have at it. It saved me! Good luck.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade through IV