• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kidney stones and follow up care....

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have my annual follow up appointment with my urologist tomorrow afternoon which brought to mind posting this...

Just wondering - how many people here have 1 - had kidney stones and 2 - receive follow up care to make sure no more are forming?

After my last bout with kidney stones which landed me in the ER 2 times in one afternoon, I got myself a urologist and now see him once a year.

During the annual visits I get a urine check and either an x-ray or ultrasound to check for any potential stones and also actually see my urologist!

So what your routine?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I dont see a urologist anymore, had 4 kidney stones and just passed one last January, found out they are oxolate type. I stay away from most water that is not reverse osmosis. I drink a fair amount of water and stay on a low fat diet. I will get a new urologist, because I didnt like him or his partner in Winnipeg to do the lithotripsy,. which damn near killed me with pain. Just taking it day by day. I have had a total of 6 in my lifetime...hate those buggers!

I pass kidney stones about every 3 months usually small. I have calcium oxilate kidney stones. These are not caused by taking in too much calcium. Im not suppose to eat foods high in oxilates. Drink lots of water and stay away from things like spinach and coffee. You can also get a perscrption for potassium citrate which is fairly inexpensive. Uricet k.

Kidney stones suck. I had to have one removed that was stuck once. Lets just say they went through an existing hole. Not my mouth or butt!!!!! It was horrible.

Good luck!

Follow up care for kidney stones goes like this

Expensive ct scan.
Your told you have a few small stones.

There is not much else they can do.

Your out a ton of money to learn something you already know. You have kidney stones.

I got kidney stones once. 4months straight going to the urologist saying they think I passed it already, but incase I didnt just prescribed me pain killers.
Gave up, went to a herbalist gave me acouple herbs passed the stone in acouple days without any pain.

I got a kidney stone for the first time almost exactly one year ago. I never caught the thing. When I was in the ER and they did the CT scan they noticed another one forming in my other kidney.

I had a follow-up with a urologist and he gave me the basic drill-down about avoiding oxilate (he just assumed that's what it would have been since mine was never found). He said the other stone could pass any time, could be a few days, could be a year.

So far the other one has never passed!

I haven't done any follow-up since then cause I didn't know I was supposed to. I have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow - maybe I'll ask him about it?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I got kidney stones once. 4months straight going to the urologist saying they think I passed it already, but incase I didnt just prescribed me pain killers.
Gave up, went to a herbalist gave me acouple herbs passed the stone in acouple days without any pain.
Could you share with us the herbs used? I get them too, and after resections is is very common.

Yep I get tons of stones pass them frequently and have had several get stuck and had to have surgery. Currently looking for a urologist because my old one refuses to work with the rest of my medical team which consists of my family doc, general surgeon, GI doc, and pain management team. They have all been great they work together to treat me but mr. Kidney doctor doesn't want to play nice so I am looking for someone else

I've had kidney stones twice in my life. 2 the first time and 3 the second time. Right now I am battling a urinary tract infection and hoping I don't ever have stones again. Painful!! I'll give birth to my daughter again before I pass anymore stones. Hope you feel better soon.

I actually never saw a urologist and my first kidney stones started all of this up in the first place... I just had an ultra sound and a ct scan and they found really tiny kidney stones and some scarring but that's about it. My GI told me that kidney stones are very par for the course for Crohns... that's lovely... the pain I had from the kidney stones trumped childbirth pain a hundred times over... yuck!!