• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Arthritis and Elevated ESR while in remission

I am new to this forum and was wondering if any of you experience joint pain and elevated inflammatory markers when your Crohn's is in remission. I have had horrible joint pain for about 4 months now and have been remission for over a year. My last ESR was elevated, but my bowel is fine. Anyone else with this issue?

Trysha

Staff member
Hi vandy
Raised ESR rates are indicative of inflammation in the body and arthritis can cause this as well as IBD.
Has you arthritis been reported to your GI?
Maybe you need to see a rheumatologist?
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Heard sea salt baths are supposed to help relieve arthritis. Not sure if it works, but may be worth a try! I have always used massage to keep the aches and pains minimal.

I have had minimal if any bowel issues but have arthritis issues. I no longer have elevated rates but i have had. It took MTX and Humira (though i kicked MTX off the island) to lowar all my rates. I've done a lot of Physical therapy to help my arthritis. exersices does help it in some ways. but recently it has been getting better.

what type of arthritis do you have? I have AS.

I write this while icing my foot cause of arthritis. hehe

I had adbominal inflammation last sept and had my appendix out in october (after being on pred for a month) they are still investigating IBD.. however my knees are killing me - and currently beingtested for rheumatoid arthritis. i still have some abdo pain and some diarrheoa. but my knees and right shoulder are causing unbearable pain.

i know im undiagnosed at the moment... but i seem to be having similar issues as you :s

David

Co-Founder
Vandygrad, I suggest giving this thread a read. Anyone with bone, muscle or joint pain who has IBD should have their vitamin D levels checked and supplement if deficient. It can make a world of difference.

Elevated ESR can also be a sign of anemia but I would hope they're keeping an eye out for that.

Thanks David! I hadn't even thought about Vitamin D being the issue, but I do have a deficiency and am not currently taking any. I also have issues with anemia, so maybe you have just solved my problem! I am heading back to Johns Hopkins Rheumatology for a follow-up so that they can check everything out. My recent visit with the neurologist ruled out MS! The lesions in my brain are strictly from Crohn's and my long history of migraines. Feeling very relieved at this time. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!;)

David

Co-Founder
Sounds like some serious supplementation is in order :) While you're getting those vitamin D levels checked, I'd also have them throw in B12 and folate for good measure.

Keep us updated! :)