• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CT results....Mild Fatty Liver

Ok, I really don't know what to think.

I called today and got my CT results. There was no thickening in my intestines and everything looked normal except that it showed that I have Mild Fatty Liver.

Previously my liver function tests were apparently very high, but now they have come down some.

My current doctor seems to think that I have IBS. (nothing new to people here I know) I go back on the 1st to see him. In the mean time, he's prescribed Bentyl to take.

Very frustrated! Even more so, now that I've read that Non Acoholic Fatty Liver (I RARELY drink. Maybe a few drinks one night every couple of months.) is commonly linked to Crohn's.

Inflammation in Ilieum, Dodenum, Stomach, Esophagus, chronic diarrhea, occasional blood in the stool, and horrible pains + fatty liver = IBS?????? REALLY!!!??!!

Edited: for grammar

Last edited:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Sawyer, I had a similar experience with my CT. My intestines looked totally normal but they found what they referred to as "nodules" on my liver. It ended up being these benign tumors called Focal Nodular Hyperplasias. They're not the cause of my symptoms and are seemingly unrelated to IBD though so that was a total dead end for me.

What other tests have you had besides the CT? If you've got all those symptoms and they're saying IBS, it might be time to look for a new doctor and get a second opinion. You might want to print out and show your doctor that info about the link between non-alcoholic fatty liver and IBD. I wasn't aware of that link myself and your doc might not be either. But I do know, and most doctors should know, that IBS doesn't cause inflammation - so you might want to start looking for a better doc who realizes that inflammation is NOT part of IBS.

In the meantime, you could try the Bentyl (at least just so that you can go back to your doc on the 1st and say that Bentyl doesn't do anything for your symptoms). When I was told to try Bentyl, they said I should just take it for 3 days and if it had no effect then I could stop it after that time. So give it a few days and then you can presumably tell your doc that it doesn't work.

What other tests have you had besides the CT? If you've got all those symptoms and they're saying IBS, it might be time to look for a new doctor and get a second opinion.
Unfortunately, this is my fourth doctor and this is the best office around here. I'm going to give him another month or so, then I'll move on to Ochsner's in New Orleans.

The tests that I've had before, besides the countless blood tests are colonoscopy,endoscopy, pill cam, and CT.

I think another colonoscopy is in my near future. I will try the Bentyl and I will be honest with him when I go. I am hoping he's trying the Bentyl to rule out IBS, but who knows.

As per the fatty liver, there are other references too:
"Fatty liver disease (hepatic steatosis)

This is the most common liver complication of IBD and a relatively harmless one, affecting people with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease equally. However, the condition also is linked with many other unrelated conditions—including pregnancy, diabetes, and obesity. Fatty liver is caused by an abnormality in liver metabolism that results in the accumulation of fat. Because it is a fairly minor problem and causes no symptoms, it generally does not require any treatment. It also does not progress to chronic liver disease. In some cases, doctors may prescribe steroids for steatosis."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ibd.21669/full