• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stemcell transplant

stemcell transplant

Hi I am Rosie , I am 19 and currently going through a stemcell transplant. I am not on the clinical trial. I am recieving my treatment at the Western General hospital in Edinburgh. So far I have had my first dose of chemo and have had my stem cells harvested. I had to stay in hospital for almost 2 weeks during this as my temp was very high and I had bad headaches. I go back into hospital on the 6th of feb to have my next dose of chemo and the transplant itself. My weight is too low and my crohns symptons are bad just now so I am back on steroids but unfortunately not allowed to take azothioprine or Humira. My consultant called me today to tell me someone had died who was on the trial and now I am terrified to continue with the transplant, hopefully I will be fine.
I look forward to chatting with others who are going through the same thing.

hi rosebud92 im so sorry that you're having to go through this. there's a lady on here - jessicaallen who is going to be having this same treatment soon.
im suprised the consultant told you about the other patient.. what a way to put you at ease!?

everybody is lovely on here, and feel free to ask any questions or vent ;)

I know but I think they have to tell you so you can decide if you want to continue. I'll look for that girl would be good to speak to someone who has had any treatment.

Thanks for the comment much appreciated :)

fair enough, i suppose its best to know all the facts before deciding to go ahead with it.
shes not had the treatment yet, and she hasnt been online for a couple of days. but i know that shes resistant to medication for crohn's. so stem cell replacement is her only option really.
i was in hospital with her last september, and i think shes having treatment in sheffield.

i really hope this works for you x

Angrybird

Hi there, I have not had this treatment and is not ever been mentioned to me but I just wanted to send you my support :hug: This must be very scary but know we are here for you. Keep us updated on how you get on.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Rosie and :welcome:

We have a SCT thread that will link you to others here that have undergone or are undergoing therapy...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=22259

I'm so sorry to hear that you have found yourself in this position...:hug: Did the consultant give you any details as to how the death occurred? Does it in any way relate to your current condition?

Unfortunately death is a part of IBD, independent if SCT and albeit a rare one, but it does happen. :(

All the recipients here survived their transplants. :)

Good luck hun, speak with your consultant and see if this death in any way has any connection to your current condition, it may be that the person died due to underlying complications and therefore will have no impact on your treatment.

Thinking of you, :heart:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx