Share Facebook

01-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Nose Bleeds

Hi All,
Caitlyn has been having a lot of nosebleeds she had 2 today. Anyone else's kids have problems with this? I will call her doctor tomorrow to ask him about it.

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
01-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
Rebecca85

That could be a warning that her platelets are low. Or it could just be a change in the weather! Best to get it checked out though!

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
01-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Does she have a humidifier in her room? EJ will get occasional nose bleeds w/o his.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
01-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
DustyKat
Super Moderator

No nose bleeds here.

I hope these are just a one off. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Dusty.
01-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
AZMOM

My Support Groups:
Definitely check the platelets. Claire had this problem just after dx. AND definitely do the humidifier.

Hugs, J

Mom to Claire - 11 going on 17

Dx JRA age 3, Crohn's age 6
Acute transverse myelitis at age 5

Started IVIG September 2016
Started Tacrolimus October 2016
Neurontin 100mg twice daily
Folic Acid
Calcium/D supplement
Daily Vitamin
Daily Probiotic

No more Enbrel, Stelara, Methotrexate, Allopurinal or 6MP
01-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
I never made that link between crohn and the general manifestations but I recall that in the 1-2 years before(and during) my first and major flare(at 14) I was having lots of nose bleed. I had to get cauterize numerous time that year and never had issues after.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
01-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
Used to have lots of nosebleeds...then every morning he'd pull out the scab, and we'd start over!! Once I started running a cool mist humidifier in his room...Voila! Fixed the problem. Haven't had one since. (Except when a basketball hit him in the nose at practice ) The dry itchy skin on his legs has improved too.

Praying for Remission
Vedolizumab 8-8-14
Ileostomy 3/22/14
Multivitamin,Iron,Vit D

Total EEN 12-10-13 to:TPN 1-29-14 - 4-2-14
Tried:Azathioprine,Pred,Pentasa,Cimzia Bi weekly & MTX 9/2013 to 8/2014, Humira 1/2011-9/2013, w/oral mtx 5 mos in 2013. Remicade: Had allergic reaction Jan 2011 Built up antibodies by 3rd infusion.
Has done round of Flagyl due to abcess 12/10 and 10-21-13 which helped both heal quickly.
01-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
When Stephen was younger, he used to get nosebleeds at hockey arenas a fair bit (not from hits! LOL) and no where else. I always attributed it to the cold, dry air as well. His doctor suggested a lubricating/moisturing gel but, sorry, I forget what it was called now.
01-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
Was it Vaseline? Just kidding, however...we used to put just that in at the end of his nostrils with a cutip to help heal those scabs I talked of. (He hated that, complained it would stink and he'd smell it all night!)
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Zoodles

My Support Groups:
We get the nosebleeds to and use a saline spray to help keep his nose moist. We've been able to avoid cauterizing this way.

Hope it's the dry winter air and nothing more
Pentasa 500 mg 2x/day
Vitamin
Probiotic
Multivitamin
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
LOL, Kathy it might have been! That was my initial thought as I was writing and then thought, 'no..., must have been something else'.
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

The nosebleeds are back and worse! We have a whole house humidifier but it is not helping. The weird thing about them is when she gets them they last for about 20 minutes. She just had blood work and all was normal.
03-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Sometimes the humidifiers for the entire house don't do enough. Emily used to have lots of sinus congestion, etc. years ago and a room humidifier was suggested (we also have a whole house humidifier). We also purchased a monitor for the humidity level in her room (not expensive, just purchased it at the hardware store). And, we found that her room NEVER reached the level of humidity that was recommended - and this was with the humidifier in her room. I'm sorry, I can't remember what level of humidity was recommended but I'm sure it's on the packaging of the monitor...

Did she have the nosebleeds before starting LDN? I've never read of any connection but, if they started at the same time, maybe ask the question on the LDN subforum.
03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

The nosebleeds started after the remicade. Even though she is no longer on it they have continued.
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

PS I just called her doctor to see what he would say.
03-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
hWe have a cool mist humidifier next to his bed. Once you have a wound in your nose, its easy to keep opening it up...and noses bleed so easily. The capillaries are so close to the surface. Have you looked up in there with a flash light? Before we put a humidifier next to his bed, Brian's nose looked so raw up in there. Healing had to happen, along with fixing the dryness. (Also, some humidifiers come with thing that reads the humidity in the air, otherwise Walmart sells them for like $2.00. Then you'd know how dry her room is).
05-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

I just wanted to update everyone. Since we stopped the Pentasa Caitlyn has not had a nosebleed! I called her doctor last Monday to discuss it with him and am still waiting for a call back. Maybe he is embarrassed because how many times did I call him asking if it could be from one of her meds and he kept saying no. 2 weeks ago someone posted about possible side effects from pentasa they mentioned possible bleeding issues although not specifically nosebleeds. I some more research (Thank you good old google) and it is a possible side effect although less common. I don't expect the doctor to know every single side effect but at least be willing to look into it especially if it started a few weeks after a new med has been started.
05-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
Dearie

My Support Groups:
Hi,
I'm wondering too if Pentasa causes nosebleeds because my son had minor nosebleeds for the first couple of days after starting Pentasa but our GI said that she doubted they were caused by the Pentasa, rather she felt it was due to the weather.
05-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
Coltyn'sfamily

My son got nose bleeds after starting Methotrexate. Sounds like it may be a common reaction to meds that just dont agree with them, it seems to be different for every one.
05-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Dearie,
I researched it and it seems it definitely is a possible side effect of pentasa. Coltyn's family, I am sure it could possibly be a side effect of methorexate as well but my daughter was on methotrexate for 2 years and had no problem with nosebleeds then.
05-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #21
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

I k ow this is an old thread but I am bringing it back as we are struggling with nosebleeds again. Wondering if maybe it could be from the methotrexate?
She is also really struggling with migraines.
05-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #22
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Some kids have dry mucus membranes
Dry throat
Dry eyes
Dry nose
Known as sicca syndrome

Very common
And causes lots of nose bleeds

Ds gets them a lot
Have you tried saline gel for the nose?

Does she have seasonal allergies ?

Last edited by my little penguin; 05-28-2017 at 10:56 AM.
05-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #23
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Allergies for me do this! I have to use gel and it works well.
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
05-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #24
Jmrogers4

This has been a big thing for us as well lately. J has never had nosebleeds and the last couple of months he'll have 1-2 nearly every day for a week and then nothing for a week or so. He's on nothing but Remicade.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
05-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #25
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
S has also been having nosebleeds for the last month. Altho, until now, it's been years since he's had a nosebleed, Im also thinking his are related to seasonal allergies. Over the last month, he's also had nasal congestion...

Also on remi only.
05-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #26
Maya142
Forum Monitor

I have seasonal allergies and have nosebleeds occasionally. I use a nasal spray (prescribed by the allergist) which really helps.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
05-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #27
Bufford

My Support Groups:
I learned a trick from a medic in sports medicine to stop a nose bleed much less invasively than squeezing the nose which often makes it worse.

Fold a piece of tissue or paper towel to form a pad about an inch long (3Cm) and half an inch wide (1.5cm) and a few layers thick 1/8 inch thick (0.5cm). Place it under the upper lip between the lip and the gum above the front teeth. The pressure applied by the pad will ease the flow of blood to the nose stopping the bleeding almost immediately..

Leave the pad in place for half an hour and the nose bleed is gone.
05-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #28
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Thanks! I never heard that before.
05-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #29
Bufford

My Support Groups:
It stops nose bleeds so well, but the odd thing is that I have never read anything about it either. I learned about this trick nearly 40 years ago and has never failed me.

The way it works is that it presses down on the two veins above the front teeth, up in the gum line reducing blood pressure in the nose which stems the bleeding and allows a clot to form.

When one removes the pad you will notice pressure building up in the nasal area, it should hold if the pad was positioned properly, if not place the pad or a new one back on. It takes anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to stop the bleed.
05-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #30
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hi,

I have read that eating more green leafy vegetables helps, apparently there can be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. I used to get nosebleeds and this change of diet made mine go away. I have to put my leafy greens in my fruit smoothies because my body doesn't break leafy vegetables down very well. Believe it or not, it still tastes good mixed with banana or a gala apple, even strawberries or blueberries make it taste good when blended. I do 1/2 a cup of organic baby spinach or mixed greens at a time with fruit and organic soy milk added. You can pm me for smoothie recipes if you like.

Best wishes,

cmack