View Poll Results: Have already experienced your worst IBD pains?
Nothing this disease can throw at me can be as painful as I've already experienced. 44 44.00%
I hope I don't experience a higher degree of pain, but I likely will. 47 47.00%
other (please explain) 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

01-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
sawdust

My Support Groups:
Pain Poll

Do you believe that you have already experienced at some point in your life your "worst pains" associated with IBD, or do you believe that you have yet to experience them?
01-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
tishbite

I'm pretty sure post-surgery when I had a partial obstructions was some of the worst pain I have ever had in my life. I also couldn't eat. I hope it can't get worst then that but I am pretty sure I have experience my worst pain.
01-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I will never allow myself to be in that much pain again. I had no idea just how much pain I was in until I had the surgery. If it ever gets that bad again I will be in my GIs office demanding a second surgery and/or pain meds.
05-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Worst pain I've had that was sort of disease related but not quite was when I woke up from my bowel resection and the nurses telling me that I needed to get up to pee (no cath and stomach muscles were shot). It hurt a lot to get on that toilet but I was not prepared for actually having to try to pee and that pain made me almost throw up. It was the pain from a sudden dry heave that was the worst and almost made me pass out (saw black for a bit but pulled myself together). I've never had any other pain like it from Crohn's or when I broke my arm.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel (endometriosis), Tylenol 3 (Osteoarthritis), Zantac 150mg 2/day (acid reflux), Klonopin 1mg (Panic Disorder), Imitrex 25mg (migraines), Zofran 8mg (nausea)
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 19 years and counting.
05-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
I went ahead and said I think I've experienced the worst pain. It's been so bad that I was on the verge of passing out, in sweating, screaming, paralyzing agony. It can't get much worse or I'll just pass out.

I do, however, think I'll experience that again. After all, my doctor is currently keeping me unmedicated. I won't be surprised if I have a worse flare at some point in my life that causes more frequent pain, so in that regard I don't think I've seen the worst yet.

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

10-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Ki3

My Support Groups:
Your making me nervous about surgery :S The worst pain ever was during a flare up, I have a high pain threshold and never complain, but I couldn't stop whining and my legs were kicking about I thought I was going to pass out :O
10-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The worst pain I have experienced so far is when they tried to get me up and moving the day after my resection. But it got better.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
10-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Rebreb

My Support Groups:
I think vie experienced the worst the pain can get. When I saw my GI yesterday I told him I've had a heart attack and the worst pneumonia ever. And I would take the two of those combined any day over a flare up
10-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Axelfl3333

Worst I,ve had was a post surgery complication after an operation on my elbow I,ve got a high pain threshold I was just about begging them to cut my arm off not a good night.that was 4days post op when I discovered on the op table I,m resistant to lignocaine the local anaesthetic when I asked the surgeon for a stick to bite on he got the message it wasn't working.another mark on my soul.
05-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Daisy123
The worst pain is during obstructions. I nearly passed out on a number of occasions
05-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
theOcean

My Support Groups:
The worst pain I ever experienced was developing my fistula during my worst flare. I became all backed up because of it too, and even after getting it drained it still hurt so badly for awhile that no pain medication or opiates could touch it.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
05-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

Definitely. The worst pain I had was after my second surgery when I had internal bleeding. I spent a week with a rugby ball sized haematoma in my abdomen, and even with oramorph, zomorph and tramadol I was in agony. I then spent another 5 weeks in agony in hospital as they tried to work out how to get rid of it.

I never ever want to be in that much pain ever again. It was constant, no let up, no position that made it ease, just agony.

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
05-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
sasz11

My Support Groups:
The worst pain I was in was after a blockage. Which led to a perforated bowel. I was asleep and woke up screaming in pain. I must have annoyed everyone at the hospital. After 4 hours I was on shut down and not phone wasn't touching pain 3 hours later I was rushed in with emergency surgery. That 6 hours was the worst point and pain in my entire life.
05-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
DougUte

My Support Groups:
My worst pain was a blockage. I never want to experience pain like that again. I was so inflamed that a kernel of corn or a pea could have blocked me totally.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
12-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Bailee208

I thought I'd experienced severe pain before my first Crohn's flare. So I checked 'other' as I know the minute I believe I've experienced it all, WHAMMO! I'll be back in the hospital with no discharge date in sight wishing I would just die.
12-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #16
Nym

Worst pain would have to be pre-op fistula abscess. Morphine is wonderful ♪ The post-op wasn't too bad until seton removal / replacement. I went through that twice. Never went back to that sadistic ___.

Coming in a very close second is the time I had a binge on ginger. The pulp got clogged in the tract and had me in fear of another abscess developing. After a week of being unable to sit down I started doing salty sitz baths ..... all over within 24hrs. Phew.
12-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
Asher

My Support Groups:
I selected other because I have yet to experience any digestive pain from IBD. I never have cramps and if I do it's only mild and temporary until I go to the bathroom and then it stops.

Edit: actually I had some very bad cramping and has pains when I was in the hospital for a flair. I had a colonoscopy/enema and after it my belly was so bloated and full of pain that I was in tears.

Medication:
Lialda 800mg (3x)
Remicade (started 12/2014)

Past Medication
ASACOL HD 800mg

"Be Joyful in Hope, Patient in Affliction, and Faithful in Prayer"
- Romans 12:12