Share Facebook

01-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Hot sauce...

...is not Crohn's friendly, at least not today. Noted.
Turned my Crohn's life around: ginger for nausea.
Claim to fame: "loopy and floppy" colon
01-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Yeah I found that out years ago , but I am not a fan of hot sauce anyways. Spicy foods are not on my agenda. Are you ok ????
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Yup, recovering.
01-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
hayling

Which kind of hot sauce did you have?

I use the original Tabasco sauce all the time without any noticable side-effects. The ingredients are simply distilled vinegar, red pepper, and salt.

However, I have a mild case of Crohns's and have been on the SC Diet for almost a year now -- so I wouldn't presuppose everyone would be able to use Tabasco unscathed!!
01-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
lol...I have some days when hot sauce isn't friendly either.....but I LOVE my chicken wings on the medium-hot side (mouth watering right now!).....and also have green sauce at the office to use instead of salt to season things.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh ouch, I'm in pain just thinking about it! I can't do anything hot or spicy - even seemingly benign stuff like garlic and mild taco seasoning cause me problems. The blander it is, the safer it is. I hope you recover soon, Kelly!
01-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Entchen
Chief Dandelion Picker

Yes Cat you are correct but I hate bland! I'll just have 1/8 the amount of sauce in future.

It was gooood. Soooo goood.

I can't cheat and have a carrot or a bran muffin by strict orders from GI, but hot sauce won't cause blockages, just an evening of discomfort. A change from bland was SO needed!

Worth it? Nope, but did I mention it was really good?
01-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
bordercolliepatriot

Sad, I LOVE LOVE LOVE spicy food, I just can't eat it anymore, I will be in the bathroom with tears and throwing up it hurts so bad. I swear it upsets my stomach for days and days on end. So spicy food and hot sauce was the first to go.
01-31-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
ShawnC

Anything hot sets me off, I'm hoping that being on a fairly strict diet for awhile will let my insides heal a bit and I'll be able to eat hot stuff again.

Then again, it's been 3 years and only now have I really started to taking getting better seriously. I probably should have a much longer time ago...
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
lew-e

My Support Groups:
I was a hot sauce FREAK before I got diagnosed in middle school. To this day I still love spicy food and I make some of the best salsa around Unfortunately I just can't do it anymore.. It was a sad day for me when I realized that the joy from eating the spicy foods just is not worth the pain that night and the following days. I still try it every once in a while hoping that something has changed. Nope lol
02-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Alanschachter

I love hot sauce, unfortunately capsaicin is known to increase intestinal permeability, making leaky gut - a critical component of all autoimmune diseases - worse.

www.crohnsdad.com
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Heather_D

So far I haven't noticed that hot sauces (or other spicy foods) have caused me any issues. I recently had surgery and hope that doesn't change as I LOVE spicy food! Spaghetti sauce on the other hand, I tend to have issues with that. They are not as bad as those some of you have, but I tend to avoid it most of the time (especially in higher quantities).

Diagnosed: Crohns Oct 2006
Prior Meds: Pentesa 4000 mg/daily; Cimzia 400 mg/monthly; Prednisone off and on from Aug 2011 - March 2012
Current Meds: Apriso started 4/14/2012
Surgery: Laparoscopic Ileocolic & Rectosigmoid Resection March 22, 2012
04-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Laney1983

...is not Crohn's friendly, at least not today. Noted.

Yes... Sadly, I am aware. I still love my Tabasco though, at least while while it's going in. Exiting, well not that's a different story altogether.