Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Sardines for Crohn's Disease and other IBD

01-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Sardines for Crohn's Disease and other IBD

One of my new favorite foods is sardines. These little suckers are chock full of amazing amounts of nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin D and protein that people with IBD desperately need. And because they are low on the food chain, they contain very little mercury and other contaminants that larger predatory fish may have.

From WHFoods:

In addition, sardines have a ton of N3 fatty acids which are the beneficial anti inflammatory fatty acids. Most of us have WAY TOO MUCH n-6 fatty acids in our diet. The ratio of n-3 to n-6 should be 1-2 or so and most of us have 1-20 or so! Not good as n-6 fatty acids are inflammatory. I'm personally working really hard to get my n-3 - n-6 ratio improved.

Now check out the minerals found in sardines. So many of these are absolutely integral for people with IBD. Iron, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and more.

So head to Costco or your local store and get a can of sardines. If you already eat them or try them, please report if they negatively affect you in any way. And if you have any tasty ways to enjoy sardines, please share those as well!

Just don't make the mistake I did and leave a couple mostly empty cans in the inside house trashcan for a few days
01-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

Thanks for sharing David!

Good timing... I also decided this month/year to really work on improving my omega 3 -6 ratio. Most of what I eat for meals is fine, but I was snacking exclusivley on nuts, which is very high in omega-6 overall. People often say Wal nuts are a good source of omega 3, but when you look into it you see that they contain over 4 times as much omega 6 as they contain of omega 3. When it comes to eating nuts, Macadamia nuts are supposed to be a good choice as even though they contain more omega 6 than omega 3, the primary fat in these nuts is monosaturated fat.

Ok clearly I like talking about nuts too much....

I occasionally have sardines as they have them in a nearby store in a can packed with tomato sauce and no preservatives/sugars.

My biggest problem is that I don't really enjoy the taste of them. I am fine eating all other fish and many other different types of food so I guess I just don't know a good way to prepare them.

I have also started taking flax seeds daily as they have a good omega 3 to 6 ratio. I would recommend that most IBD sufferers who were interested in taking them move to the oil in case you have trouble digesting the seeds.

Anyways I would be curious if anyone can share a good way to prepare the sardines as they obviously are a great source of nutrition for people with IBD.
01-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Astra

My Support Groups:
mmmm yummy yum yum!
Sardines in tomato sauce is best!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

01-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
David
Co-Founder

That's fantastic that you're working on your N-3 - N-6 ratio Mike! We should start a thread on it with an info post then discussion I'll see if I can get that going late tonight. No promises though!

I occasionally have sardines as they have them in a nearby store in a can packed with tomato sauce and no preservatives/sugars.

My biggest problem is that I don't really enjoy the taste of them. I am fine eating all other fish and many other different types of food so I guess I just don't know a good way to prepare them.
I've never enjoyed the taste of them either. I recently purchased a case from Costco thinking I'd be holding my nose as I ate them but these are packed in olive oil and are quite good right out of the can! I'd love to hear other recipes people have, however.

I have also started taking flax seeds daily as they have a good omega 3 to 6 ratio. I would recommend that most IBD sufferers who were interested in taking them move to the oil in case you have trouble digesting the seeds.
Yes yes yes! For anyone out there reading this, make sure your flax oil is refrigerated when you buy it and keep it refrigerated. It will go rancid fast otherwise. I have a killer salad dressing recipe that uses flax oil that I'll share in the n-3 - n-6 thread. I also add about a tablespoon to all of my fruit smoothies
01-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Before Sarah changed her diet to vegan she ate quite a bit of fish but unfortunately oily fish didn't agree with her. She hasn't been able to tolerate any type of dietary oil since her surgery. Matt isn't as bad but I notice he too has some issues with dietary oil.

Dusty. xxx
01-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
ThanksP

A couple years ago I had read about Sardines benefits. I thought I'd hate them, but I was surprised, they are actually pretty good. I prefer Mackerel filets, but they aren't as easy to find. I read that the bone-in sardines are high in calcium too but I can't bring myself to try them. I usually take the sardines or mackerel, crush them up into a canned tuna consistency, add a drop or two of Tabasco sauce and eat them on a cracker. Has anyone tried the sardines with the bones? Are they crunchy?

The worst part of eating Sardines is that it drives my cats batty. The second they hear the can crack open, they are at my feet screaming for some fish. I always have to share them with the furry little critters.
01-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
scoutfinch

My Support Groups:
I like fresh sardines, but have never tried canned sardines. Does anyone know if the nutritional benefits are comparable?

The idea of canned fish is a little gross to me (don't even get me started on canned MEATS) - even though I'm aware that many types of canned fish have excellent nutritional value.
01-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

n Oh Yuck, I know they are good for you and I wished I like them but the smell even makes me gag... My husband eats them all the time but NOT in the house. I will eat fish but once in a very blue moon. I tried but I can't.

So Joanie when you come here in the summer you and the hubby can go out the back and eat a crap load lol.
01-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
mnsun

Canned/boney sardines are not particularly crunchy, at least not compared to canned salmon--the vertebrae crunch into a chalky, grainey consistancy. I've really only tried Crown Prince for both canned sardines and salmon; they're pretty good and taste better than they smell. I get the spring water packed ones.

Post Fukushima I'm kinda hesitant of most any pacific foods. Initially some plume models seemed to indicate a trend toward alaska, though I haven't seen any later readings...probably still better than the farmed/dyed salmon.
(not to mention tea, sushi, tuna, ?spirulina?....and, most likely contaminated, rice: http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2012/01/t...fukushima.html)(who knows what else: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/...t-science.html)

Last edited by mnsun; 01-29-2012 at 11:22 PM.
01-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I can often get fresh sardines, which I just grill and eat with a squeeze of lemon juice. Delicious!

I also can catch mullet in my local estuary - that's another good oily fish.
01-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
mmm....canned sardines in mustard...on saltine crackers.....wonder if I have any lurking in the cupboard?.....hmmm......

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
sawdust

My Support Groups:
Can anyone recommend a non-slimy and non-"looking at me" way to try some sardines?
01-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
ekay03
My dog has hands!

Ok, I am going to try the Sardines!
01-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Can anyone recommend a non-slimy and non-"looking at me" way to try some sardines?
Well - the canned ones I eat don't have heads - so no eyeballs (I couldn't face that myself!).....

Here is a site with recipies - http://www.sardinerecipes.com/ -

And as a simple way to prepare (I think was mentioned here already) - mash up like tuna and eat as a 'spread'....that is kind of what I do....
01-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
Grant

My Support Groups:
Sardines on toast-lovely. Either in tomato sauce, olive oil or sunflower oil, I love em.
Grant
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection
2012 Laproscopic Laperotomy & Resection
2013 diagnosed with a Fistula
Been on Azathioprine Pred & Methotrexate
Currently on:
Inflectra
Questran
Loperamide
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
Daily Multi Vitamins
3mthly B12 Jabs
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
GTR

this is the type of sardines that I like with just a little lemon on them
Sabor Do Mar - Portuguese Sardines Spiced With Pickles In Vegetable Oil.
Also Tricana makes the same thing. here is a pic from it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tricana_74048_foto.jpg (23.1 KB, 239 views)
01-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
scottsma

My Support Groups:
sardines in tomato sauce mashed with a fork,on toast,back under grill to heat through,black pepper.very nice.and you can feel very smug 'cos it's so good for you and your heart.
01-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I wished I could stomach them... my ex brother in law used to eat sardines and peanut butter sandwiches eeeeeeeeeeew.

David is there a pill form equal to the sardines?
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
KayleighMeek
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
As many other people have said on toast with tomato lovely haven't had it in ages and now thinking if I have any in the cupboard yum x
02-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Jobell

Wow, I just looked over the wild planet website, and I so want to buy their fish! No BPA in the cans!!! sea salt for flavoring! Wild salmon, great sardines, low mercury...
I am getting very disturbed by everything I read about additives and pollutants in our food supply, and my local fish store sells almost exclusively farmed Atlantic fish. this is refreshing to see.
02-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
sawdust

My Support Groups:
Tried some sardines with lemon juice, tartar sauce, and black olives on toast this evening. I can't say it's my new favorite meal, but not too bad! It tasted much more like tuna than I thought it might. Not slimy and didn't look at me... not even once!
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
Traverse

I love sardines, and I think they make for a wicked delicious tomato based pasta sauce, but I may have developed an allergy to them or something. (Though it may be smoked sardines that I reacted to).

Because of that, I don't eat them anymore due to the wicked canker sores I get.
02-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I had read through this thread awhile back. I've been trying to eat healthier. I have been exercising regularly but my diet isn't always the greatest. So when I was at the grocery store the other day and saw sardines packed in water for 69 cents a can (that's cheaper than tuna!) and remembered this thread, I couldn't resist - I bought 6 of them! I'm eating can #1 right now (at my desk at work - are my co-workers going to hate me for the fishy smell and fish burps?). I eat a fair amount of canned tuna so this'll save me a bit of money and hopefully make me a bit healthier. Baby steps, right? Has anyone else been eating sardines regularly since this thread started? If so, have you noticed any difference?
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
David
Co-Founder

I've been eating them regularly (2-3 cans a week) and while I don't feel different, I ate healthy prior to this thread.

In addition to reducing your tuna intake and supplementing sardines instead, your mercury intake will decrease which is always a good thing.

And yes, your co-workers are going to hate you
03-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #25
wolfem

Sardines... love them. I need to eat more.
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
scottsma

My Support Groups:
me too,but unless they are staring me in the face,I forget.Like most other things that are good for me.Thats the trouble with cupboard doors.
03-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
lseibert

My Support Groups:
Thanks for this post, I tried them and like them!!!

[SIZE="1"]Crohn's Disease and IBS
Diagnosed: 2001(symptoms for 22 years prior)
Currently on:
Desipramine for IBS, Vicodin for pain
Surgery: Small bowel strictureplasty 02/19/11 and 11/17/11, then a small bowel resection 4/6/12, Hemicolectomy 9/2016
Supplements:
Multivitamins & Vitamin D3
Prednisone: Never again
Imuran (azathioprine)= Pancreatitis
Entocort EC (Budesonide) and medical adhesives = Rash
Humira=numb feet & hands
03-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well, I never thought i would see this, but sardines now have a dedicated day! I haven't tried them myself, but might have to give it a go - at least once. Do sardines taste good with chocolate? I'm not a big fish eater and will need something good to cover up the taste.

"Sardines Sunday: It's time to try cold water fish"

http://hunter-gatherer.com/blog/sard...old-water-fish
03-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
scottsma

My Support Groups:
I'm not a big fish eater either,but you gotta do what you gotta do.Go on,you know it makes sense.( I just bought some cream cheese with chocolate today.now I don't love cheese but I'm willing to make an exception)
03-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I didn't make it to the store this morning to pick up sardines. A storm moved through the area early on, creating a good ruckus. That's my excuse at least for today for not eating any! So I might be a day late on sardine day, but plan on picking up some tomorrow morning though. Did enjoy a slice of gouda cheese with lunch. That seems to have become a regular addition to lunch anymore.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Sardines for Crohn's Disease and other IBD