Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » We all just had a taste of bloody diarrhea

01-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
imwood

We all just had a taste of bloody diarrhea

Been gone for a while, because my entire family has been sickened with campylobacter food poisoning! I just spent three days in the hospital with bloody diarrhea so severe, the infectious disease doc first suspected cultures would come back with e coli! Oh, my, gosh. Rosalyn & my other daughter had blood-streaked diarrhea, I had full-blown blood-filled diarrhea. It was horrendous.

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/l...ws/ci_19848492

Scary part is, when we went to the ER, since we all had symptoms, they only cultured my stool, so my boyfriend & daughters are not counted among the six ppl mentioned who have cultured positive for campylobacter.

THey started us all on antibiotics as soon as the culture came back (most food poisonings they don't treat, you just have to work it out of your system, but this one is different) and two doses in we started feeling like our old selves again. Three doses, and the diarrhea was gone! WOW for modern medicine.

Holy moly. Our children go through hell.
01-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
mickey

Poor things! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Sorry to hear the whole gang was ill.
01-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Oh my! How awful for you all......thank goodness you are all on the better end of it.

Did Rosalyn fair okay?

Dusty. xxx
01-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Wow, I used to love raw milk! I'll think twice now. Glad you guys are feeling better

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
imwood

Rosalyn weathered it quite well. Caused her a lot of discomfort in the usual llq spot, and she said it basically felt like a flare, since the symptoms of it are severe abdominal cramping, nausea, fever & constant diarrhea.
But she did say at one point, "now you all know how I feel!"

And, their cultures all came back yesterday, confirmed with campylobacter as well (as if we needed confirmation haha).

As for raw milk, we will still drink it. They have yet to find any trace of it in any of the samples they have tested from the dairy during investigation, and they never found any trace of it in the regular testing the dairy already submits to in order to operate. I look at it like this... if you became ill because someone mishandled your hamburger in a restaurant, would you still enjoy a medium- or medium-rare steak later on in life? The benefits of it outweigh the risk for my family.
01-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
maria
I love you God.

oh that's scary!!!! Glad your better.

I want to find a friend here in vancouver, washington with a stoma... I feel lonely.
Trying to stay gluten free.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » We all just had a taste of bloody diarrhea